Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Yaesu FT-817 ND Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-817 ND
Yaesu FT-817 ND Reviews: 114 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $599.00
Description: HF/VHF/UHF 5 Watt All Mode Transceiver - operating 160 M - 7 CM with VHF/UHF portable antenna

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-817 ND.

M0GNA Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2016 01:09 Send this review to a friend
The cats whiskers.  Time owned: more than 12 months
A gem of radio.I sold one and almost went into deep depression afterwards.The only way out of the darkness was to buy another.A superb all singing all dancing QRP rig that is so hard to beat.Everything you want wrapped up in a bullet proof case.All radio hams should be given one at birth.
N8AUC Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2016 07:40 Send this review to a friend
Nothing else like it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've always enjoyed QRP, and I always wanted one of these. So when I spotted a used 817 (pre ND) on an indoor table at Dayton a few years ago, I jumped at it. The only thing I can say is, "Why did I wait so long to get one of these?"

This tiny little radio literally does everything (except receive NOAA weather radio). It's a "jack of all trades". And while it's a master of none of them, it performs competently at all of them.

It will use just about anything as a power source, including internal batteries if you must.

Sometimes, 5 watts is a challenge. Sometimes, it's so easy it will blow your mind. Put one of these on a resonant dipole, and real fun awaits.

I absolutely love mine. If it died, I'd buy another one to replace it in a heartbeat. This is the ultimate, go anywhere, do anything, fits in a coat pocket, QRP rig. Yaesu hit the ball so far out of the park with this little radio, that no one else has even tried to compete with it after all these years. There truly is nothing else like it.
KF9MP Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2016 05:04 Send this review to a friend
Best QRP Transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I dearly love my FT-817. This rig was purchased new in 2006 and has performed flawlessly ever since. My favorite uses so far have been as a mobile fro 2m in the car or as a QRP rig at home to work JT65 or PSK31 from home. I don't think I've ever worked SSB on HF with it but as a digital transceiver it always works fine.
I use mine on HF with the Yaesu SCU-17 USB unit to sit between the win-10 laptop and the 817. I've also used the LDG tuners and the tiny HF amp sold on amazon giving it up to 40 watts output. Never a problem once you get used to the settings and requirements for operating digital modes.
All in all my most dependable, easy to operate in almost any environment, HF rig.
There are tons of aftermarket programs for using this like a big rig, lots of accessories too.
My only complaint is some of the buttons are tiny, so fat fingered people may find it frustrating poking the V/M and F buttons. If this radio ever died I would immediately replace it with the exact same rig.
VK5GI Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2016 23:57 Send this review to a friend
RIPPER  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this wee rig in my home qth for a couple of years now, but this is the first time I've travelled with it. So, I'm sitting on the verandah of my daughter's house in Brisbane, a glass of Sauvignon-blanc in my hand, perfect sunshine. Bliss! The 817 has a bit of a wet noodle attached to it (4state end-fed, home brew) tossed horizontally to a nearby tree at verandah level and I'm listening and working French Polynesia, Hawaii, Norfolk Island and the US west coast.all on 20 metres. Heavens above, what more can an old guy want? Ok, ok, so the battery runs out after an hour or so - next time I try and smuggle my li-po pack onto the plane! A gem of a radio, and I have had them all. So, buy one!
IZ0JGH Rating: 3/5 May 7, 2016 16:44 Send this review to a friend
it should has been improved  Time owned: more than 12 months
They have had plenty of time at Yaesu to improve the FT 817 at least in the followings:
1- a bigger bay for the internal battery and an internal battery of significant more capacity;
2- the use of a standard power plug;
3- less power consumption;
4- a stronger front antenna plug (PL or mini UHF) to support longer whip antennas;
5- a waterproof protection for the front panel;
6- "opening stabilizing bars" at the RTX base, these could made in alluminiom and cut 1/4 long @ 430 MHz to be usable also as dipole elements.
N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2016 03:19 Send this review to a friend
Still the best radio ever !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I brought this little radio back 2007 right atfer i pass my genereal lic. that made my day pass my test !!!

This year i try my 817ND made contact from NY i try so hard get anyone since it was new as i said finally made contact with this little rig !
This is reason i brought this rig !

love this rig !

SWL377 Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2016 13:23 Send this review to a friend
Best bang for the buck PERIOD  Time owned: more than 12 months
This rig is a bargain considering all that it does. Being able to run it on internal alkaline or rechargeable AA cells is such a great feature. HF, VHF, UHF all in one nice small package. I own an Icom 703 as well. I prefer the FT 817. Easier on batteries and smaller too. There are many aftermarket upgrades for the FT 817, ranging from IF mech filters to mic compression amps, etc. The stock FT 817 does just fine for SSB. If you are a hardcore CW ham, it could benefit from sharper selectivity. I skydive with my FT 817. 14,500 foot antenna elevation for only $23 per jump.
2E0VOV Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2016 05:37 Send this review to a friend
brilliant  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine about 18 months ago and I've never looked back. Its an absolute bargain here in the UK £440 making it in a league of its own.
If you want to be picky, the standard mic is ok but can be improved on cheaply with an Electret insert. But on reflection if you bought a KX3 you wouldnt even get a mic , so thumbs up to Yaesu...
I have worked the world on my Ft817 and my best so far is 18780 miles longpath to JA with just 5w SSB
If you are thinking of buying the FT817, just do it!..
Search YouTube for my Callsign to see what DX this radio delivers with just a wire antenna. 73's Mark
K1WJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2016 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Cool little radio! QC seems very good. Replaced supplied hand mic with MH67 and seems to drive the radio better, but mic gain on ssb at 90-100%. IF shift works very well. Menu and options are easy enough to navigate.Some meter reading are a tad vague (SWR and ALC ). Made 1st 40m QRP QSO, reports were good. Audio with MH67 & mic gain cranked up, reported as strong punch. Strong stations within 2khz of operating freq. will make receiving difficult, optional ssb filter should help with that. Buttons are small and no stand to prop up radio are the downsides I see. So far so good ! Enjoying my 817ND ! 73 K1WJ
M0SAZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2015 16:15 Send this review to a friend
Best Radio EVER  Time owned: more than 12 months
OK update on how I stand with this radio. I did sell it since my last review, went through a bunch more radios (some high end / expensive), and I have come straight back to the FT-817ND.

Overall, its the best radio ever produced. Think about it. It must be the most sold ham transceiver in history and there are tons of reviews on eHam and other sources that overall are excellent. Its a joy reading the eHam reviews – reading just how many people (like me) have an FT-817 as their only base rig and / or have sold a high end radio and are happier with the “lowly” FT-817 / FT-817ND.

The radio hasn't the receiver of the FTDX-5000 or the K3 but you can’t fit those in your pocket. It hasn't got the ergonomics of an FT-2000 or an IC-756 Pro III but you couldn’t get one new for under £500. It hasn't got a 400w PA like the FTDX-9000MP but with 5 watts and the same antenna, you would only be down several s-points and don’t need to worry about the electricity bill or causing interference.

This radio DOES work well as a shack radio - I am proof (see my QRZ profile / YouTube videos / Blog). It also works well in mobile and portable environments.

Using a TXCO, mechanical filter for your mode choice, headphones and / or external speaker, some bracket for raising the front of the rig up on the desk, a decent Mic, proper use of the carrier offset / IPO / ATT / RF gain, you have some cheap (and free) solutions to making this good radio, great.

As someone who has spent tens of thousands on rigs and sold them - the FT-817 puts the biggest smile on your face and is the ONLY radio you will ever need.

I have 2 - one for base and one for portable / spare.