Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Yaesu FT-817 ND Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-817 ND
Yaesu FT-817 ND Reviews: 114 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $599.00
Description: HF/VHF/UHF 5 Watt All Mode Transceiver - operating 160 M - 7 CM with VHF/UHF portable antenna

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-817 ND.

VU2JE Rating: 0/5 Sep 18, 2015 19:59 Send this review to a friend
Blank Display Unusable  Time owned: more than 12 months
This FT-817ND a little over 2 years old, very sparingly and carefully used, does not work now, as its got a blank display.. As there is no service centre for this in india I am forced to scrap it.. shows poor build quality..
Yaesu and Icom and Alinco are not what they used to be.. deteriorating quality, unimaginative products and utterly devoid of any new technology and products .. sad..
ECHOFOX Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2015 08:11 Send this review to a friend
I'm Taking it With Me!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Yaesu FT-817 is no "D", "PRO", nor "K", yet, this deaf as a post, broad as a barn, 5 watt flea is one of Amateur Radio's great rigs.

The configurations and combinations are endless...base, mobile, portable, pedestrian/hand-held, external power, internal batteries, antennas, antennas, ANTENNAS, SO-239, BNC, HF, VHF/UHF and more. In the shack, in the mobile, in the field, in the hand, there ain't nothin', AIN'T NOTHIN' that can do it ALL from anywhere and everywhere quite like the FT-817.

I've made DX contacts with my FT-817ND from impromptu shacks with a wire, while seaside in 4X with a "screw-stick", while walking the dog with HF BNC whips, countless Sporadic-E, Tropo and satellite contacts with a variety of antennas and many, MANY more. A different shack each day. The world is my shack.

The FT-817 is great in the mobile too. At 5 watts, it only draws 2 amps. Just connect it to the lighter/12v and a mag mount antenna. Wedge the rig between the seats...EASY! VHF/UHF FM and SSB, HF DX, SO-239, BNC, each connector selectable by band...Too easy! I get good reports from around town and around the world.

Its back is its bottom, its front is its top. Wow! The agile FT-817 is an acrobat that stands on end. The FT-817's modest size and nimble form enable it to work from ANY position.

Clutched in the left hand, the FT-817 is ergonomically smart to the right handed with its BNC out of the way to the left, its display, VFO, AF/RF Gain, "Select" and other HT sized controls well positioned and it's mic connected to the right side. Clarifier and IF Shift are a touch away.

With its BNC at the "top" and internal batteries, the FT-817 is VERY effective when used hand-held. With a collection of HF/VHF/UHF BNC whips, whether contacts exceed 1000miles/watt HF SSB, 100miles/watt VHF SSB or 10miles/watt VHF/UHF FM, I'm often asked, "Did you say hand-held?".

With no experience, I can't comment on digital or CW, but there are innumerable successes just as diverse as voice...10,000miles/watt.

Every contact is memorable because every contact is an adventure..and a thrill. And with each contact, a story ("There I was,.."). One is always at their Radio Amateur best to get the most out of the FT-817's 5 watts. One will find themselves looking at the '817 after, yet, another great contact in, yet, another configuration from, yet, another QTH, saying, "WOW!..This rig is unFBelivable!".

The FT-817 is even an ambassador for Amateur Radio. When working portable, be prepared to get "those looks" and to demonstrate what Amateur Radio is to the curious.

Do you want to tighten it up? Get a filter. Do you want to mod this versatile rig? There's a cottage industry supporting the FT-817.

Great but aging, the FT-817's receiver, filtering, speech, efficiency, power, battery and other features need to be updated. But NOT the "anywhere, anyway" gestalt of the rig that makes the FT-817 so amazing, so versatile, so influential, so profound and so much FUN.

How can you NOT like this rig? How can you not find a use for it? How can you not find a place in the shack, in the mobile, in the field, in the hand for the FT-817? Every ham should have this rig!

The FT-817 provides an extraordinary Ham Radio experience..anywhere and everywhere.

"Hand-held, QSL.".

I'm taking it with me!

W0VET Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2015 10:15 Send this review to a friend
Picnic in a basket!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I confess that I got away from QRP with an Icom 703 long ago . . . and now miss it. But there are two things that I enjoy in leisure time - a good picnic basket loaded with goodies, and a QSO challenge. With the 817nd I get both!

Let's see . . . enzfed antenna - check; portable tuner - check; external power supply - check . . .
N4DBM Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2015 19:56 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic radio. Excellent.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
There is some weird satisfaction that comes along with only using 5 watts to work so many different areas of the world. I am extremely pleased with this transceiver. I own the original 817 and did the out of band modification strictly to use it on 60 meters. It has worked well for me on all bands. The battery life is excellent. I bought mine used off Ebay with a travel case and wall charger. I have used it with a G5RV antenna portable, Hustler resonators mobile, and also on VHF/UHF. I really enjoy it, and love the fact you can throw it in a back pack and take it anywhere. Five stars, highly recommend.
2E0VOV Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2015 15:05 Send this review to a friend
It does it all  Time owned: more than 12 months
If I could only keep one radio .. this would be it!.

Very affordable compared to others on the market and with a 14+ year old well proven design , its still in production. That tells us how right Yaesu got it from the start.

Slap a decent antenna on it and you will be amazed what 5W can do. I regularly get nice comments on my strong clear audio. My radio has worked the world on 5W SSB and Stateside on 500mw..
Some people compare it to a "KX3", but that costs over double the price so hardly comparable! .. For portable work this is hard to beat..
My only gripe I have against the little FT817 is battery life.. But Battery technology has moved on a long way and the problem is easily resolved by fitting a 3S 2500ma LIPO battery intended to fit Futaba RC plane controllers.

Would I buy it again... You bet!!!
KA0USE Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2015 11:53 Send this review to a friend
update from 09/2014  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
shortly after i bought it i took the gear out for a trial run. first contact was atlanta- 2k miles away. i THOUGHT i was putting out 5w, the icon indicating such. the other day i was reading, for the 6th time,the manual. i realised it nowhere mentions what wattage to expect with each icon, just max, high, middle and low. so i put it on a qrp swr/watt meter with a dry dummy load and got a surprise (i started to say 'shock', but it might send the wrong idea!). using the internal battery pack or external battery all you get is 2.5w out, and it steps down to 1.25, 1 and.5w at the bottom. if you want 5w you need 13.8vdc. then it steps down to 2.5, 1, and .5w.
where to get 13.8vdc? car cigarette lighter with the engine running, probably a generator, or a power supply. power supplies vary. i can dial the desired voltage on one i own, and the other is a fixed '12v power supply' that meters at 13.8.
don't be discouraged with fewer contacts in the field- appreciate the ones you DO make!
it really is a nice machine with few limitations. work within them and you can be happy!
W3PAL Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2015 17:23 Send this review to a friend
Very nice and rigid QRP radio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this little gem for over a year. It's used primarily as a backpack radio. It's build quality is exceptional. It has a nice quiet receiver. I added an optional 300Hz mechanical filter from W4RT and could not believe the difference this filter makes. The filter significantly improved CW RX performance. I use the radio about half the time for CW. SSB sounds nice too on the internal speaker.
Having VHF and UHF is a big plus as I don't need to carry a separate radio for those bands.
My other portable rig is an Elecraft KX3. The Yaesu FT-817 has a lot quieter receiver, especially when trying to copy weak signals. FT-817 has a much better internal speaker as well. I just wish my FT817 had a TX audio compressor and DSP. I added an optional DYC-8x7 external speech compressor from Funk Amateur. It adds an extra S-unit on the receive side.
I'm very happy with the radio and would recommend it to anyone.
N2DM Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2015 04:24 Send this review to a friend
Fine Business  Time owned: more than 12 months
FT-817ND, Bought new from HRO,owned since 2009, works well, pleasure to operate, goto rig for trips.
This is 3rd rig of this series, bought first two as used with no transmit, but since had repaired at Yaesu factory.
Neat rig for general operating, even used it in Field Day and November SS(cw/ssb). I was pleased to work KH6 and KL7 stns using 5 watts and end fed antenna on 20 mtrs. W4RT cw filter is awesome!
This a semi-backpacing rig, due to power required and size of power source needed(ie:heavy batteries:)).
Great all around portable rig that does it all!
Dale, N2DM
WA2DDL Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2014 06:43 Send this review to a friend
waiting...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased the straight 817 and ordered a Miracle Whip...from China (oh, Lord!). Very enthused about working QRP on HF. This should fit the RV much easier than the two Kenwood 430s's, AT-250 tuner, AC power supply and matching speaker (anyone want to make an offer?) Also will probably sell a VX-7, since I wont need that, either!
Will let you know how it works when I receive it and figure the darn thing out (at 61, I could use more knobs and fewer menu driven items that I forget in a week, hi hi!)
Ratings are needed for me to post so take them with a grain of salt....73's
EA5IGC Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2014 07:27 Send this review to a friend
A great starter radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I chose this radio for my first HF rig. I did wobble between this and some 100W rigs that (only) cost another $100, but I'm glad I stuck with it. I've learned a LOT with this radio. I've used it almost exclusively as a QTH base station, but I've also packed it up with a sealed lead acid battery, a little antenna analyser and a dipole and gone off to a club field day on my motorbike. It's truly fun and a good platform to explore some homebrew accessories. I made my own digital modes interface, an isolated linear amplifier switch / PTT output relay, a bluetooth interface, a power conditioner and even turned my own solid brass tuning knob.

After using the radio for about a year, I did succumb to adding an external linear amplifier (RM Italy KL-400 + homebrew low pass output filter).

If I were to gripe, I could say that some more buttons might be nice (but I don't know where you'd put them!), the microphone cable coming out of the side isn't very ergonomic and the power connector really is a bit weak.

Now that I have a FT-450D for the shack I shall be using this for portable work, probably with the magnetic loop antenna - inspired by VK3YE!