Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Diamond BB6W Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond BB6W
Diamond BB6W Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $149 euro
Description: Wire antenna, 6,20 mtrs long
3.5 to 30mhz

You can write your own review of the Diamond BB6W.

PC5F Rating: 2/5 Dec 16, 2012 10:17 Send this review to a friend
A compromise for specific needs  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I don't agree with the glowing reviews.
My antennas are in the attic. I have a fan dipole with elements for 20m, 15m and 10m on which 30m, 17m and 12m are tunable. And a whip dipole for the 40m band. The dipoles perform MUCH better than the BB6W on those bands.
But... there are still the 80m and 160m bands. I tried a whip dipole for the 80m band, but it performed really poorly and I sold it. The BB6W has a meagre but still somewhat acceptable performance (for a small antenna) on 80m and the same holds true for 160m (that one with the help of an MFJ-914). I've been able to work 8 dxcc's and up to 800 kilometers on the 160m band with the BB6W, which I think is not so bad for a small antenna. Furthermore it is broadband and thus has a good swr response over the whole 80m band without tuning and on the 160m band I only have to set the MFJ-914 to one position and the BB6W is good for the whole band.
The bands 40m up to 10m do not need tuning on my BB6W, although I don't use it for those bands.
Another use for the BB6W is for temporary locations, such as on vacation. Easy to set up, works on all the HF bands and tuning is hardly needed (although certain environments may need tuning).

YO3FXF Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2012 04:02 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
...Past 4 years,...this antena work perfect in the same place!Meteorological conditions don't affect this antena!It's like new one!Thank you Diamond!

SV4NYZ Rating: 4/5 Oct 20, 2010 09:23 Send this review to a friend
When less is more ?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, two months ago i purchased a BB-6W rather than a longer/better HF radiator, mainly due to the lack of spacious roof. Knowing in advance that i would have to accept suboptimal (to say the least) performance, i was not expecting too much, and i was right on the 80m band. The same holds true for the 40m, yet performance was a bit better.On 20m-17m-15m the performance is unexpectedly good, always keeping in mind that we are talking about a short "Long Wire"... In my case, it is set up as "flat topper", only 2 meters above the roof, which is my share on it's poor performance on 80m & 40m. I have worked Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Ukraine, Russia and Jordan with this 6.4-meter wire. Not bad, right ?
The only thing that kept me from giving it a solid "5" is that i believe the antenna is a bit expensive. All in all, if you are space-limited both vertically and horizontally and you are not looking for a top performer, then most likely you will be satisfied with the BB-6W. If not, though, then i guess you should go with another type of radiator.

EA3HAB Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2010 14:22 Send this review to a friend
An excellent choice for reduced spaces  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm using the BB6W last year, in horizontal position (E-W), 13 metres over the ground with a MFJ993 Tuner and 300w. (QTH in the Pyrenees Mountains 1000m. AMSL)

I know physically is only a 6 metres long wire and for sure I can't compare it with other longer or directive antennas more efficient, but this one it's doing the job that I need, because no room in my QTH for a big one.

With the improving of conditions I can work easy all the East Coast, Caribean and South America better in 15-17-20 metres and sometimes in 40m, also UA9 stations are usually contacted in all bands.

I match it and often work all that I listen from 80 to 12 metres (distance record in 10m. is 4L, but conditions in this band are poor in the last year).

An advice from my experience: it must to be clear and no walls near.

G8JNJ Rating: 3/5 Apr 26, 2010 08:14 Send this review to a friend
Useful for general monitoring and occasional QSOs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The BB6W matching unit is the same as the BB7V.

I have tested a BB7V in comparison to a Comet CHA-250 and also a few other methods of matching a similar length radiating element.

Pictures of inside the matching unit and other information can be found here.

Martin G8JNJ

www.g8jnj.webs.com

M6AMR Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2009 16:39 Send this review to a friend
Really good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If I could give this small wire antenna a six I would
I'm one of those unlucky people with a very small garden so my bigest obstacle to operating on Hf was the antenna.. enter the BB6W by diamond at about 6.5 metres long I dont think it could ever outperform a full sized G5RV however It has given me great performance and even some modest dx ... using just the 10 watts permited by the uk foundation licence I have worked Malta,Italy,Greece,Germany,Bulgaria,Hungary.
Estonia,Latvia and Russia ....if like me someone has restricted space ,requires stealth (this will also fit into a loft space) ,or needs an antenna for hill topping or camping in my very humble opinion they should get this one its money well spent

G7TEA Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2008 13:30 Send this review to a friend
Very Very Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i have had this up for sometime now and find it to be a very good Antenna tunes up on all bands no problem, i am not a dx-er but do chat to europe and all over the uk if you like me have a small back garden you can't go wrong with this one ...........m0tea

M3CJX Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2008 15:24 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant! Considering.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in a built up residential area and a large antenna outside is not really possible. I have installed the BB6W in my loft/attic and it works great. At a cost of 120 GBP and 2-30Mhz coverage its a bargain. I have been using a really small Comet VA-250 HF antenna on the back of the house but the BB6W in the loft out performs this everytime. Signals are at least 3 S-points better on all bands and the antenna tunes easily. I use a FT-450 built in tuner. It will even tune to 50Mhz and performs well! It was really easy to install (15 minutes), I was able to make contact with most of Europe with 10w on 80/40/20 as well as recieving North and south America, Canada and a few islands. I have tried a half size G5RV in the loft but the BB6W is much better and considering its only 6.5m long its ideal for small spaces. I can only image what its like installed outside!!
Well done Diamond, its a winner. I would recommend this antenna to anyone in a simular position. Enjoy!

YO3FXF Rating: 4/5 May 19, 2008 08:58 Send this review to a friend
Good Antena!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use this antena with good results!Work ok with LDG AT 200 PRO with swr 1:1 in all HF bands!(I use this antena in SLOPER at 45 degre angle).Excelent for limited space!Good Job DIAMOND!

G0VTI Rating: 3/5 Jan 3, 2008 02:00 Send this review to a friend
Not sure  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Hi,

I have a very small garden with limited space. My main HF antenna is a half size G5RV which just fits comfortably across the roof of my bungalow and terminates in a nearby tree.

My rig is the IC-7000 and I run 40 watts PSK31, and about 70 Watts CW.

I saw the Diamond HF Wide Band Antenna 2-30MHz
advertised and although quite expensive at 129 I thought that it might be worth buying as I might be able to use 80 Mtrs, as well as the other ham bands.

I purchased the BB6W and found it to be of good construction. It was quick and easy to install, one end attached to my chimney stack and one end to the tree. It is up at about 5 Mtrs. It looks very neat when installed.

My BB6W antenna does not need an ATU on 80, 40, 20, 15 or 10 Mtrs. The SWL does vary across these bands some being better than others but none being over 1.5:1. However, if I do connect my LDG-7000 ATU to the antenna it will not tune it on any band! I thought that I could work the WARC bands using this tuner. If I connect my old Vectronics manual tuner I can tune any band down to 1.1:1.

On 80 Mtrs I can hear plenty of UK and European stations but when I call CQ or answer a call on PSK31 or CW I get no replies at all! I have tried many times but no results. My half G5RV although not for 80 Mtrs will at least get me the odd reply on this band.

On 40 Mtrs I get better results and can work stations quite easily on PSK31 and CW.

On 20 Mtrs I get very poor results, also on 15 and 10 Mtrs.

On 30 Mtrs using my manual tuner I get very good results on CW and on PSK31.

I cannot get the antenna up any higher which may have increased performance. I have had the antenna for about 4 months now so still early days and I will persevere with it especially as we are now climbing out of the bottom of the cycle.

So, I like the look of the BB6W, it is neat and fits comfortably into my limited space. Performance on 40 and 30 Mtrs is quite good but so far poor on the other bands.

Looking back, would I have bought it? Not sure yet. Will report back later.

Terry