Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Diamond BB6W Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond BB6W
Diamond BB6W Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $149 euro
Description: Wire antenna, 6,20 mtrs long
3.5 to 30mhz

You can write your own review of the Diamond BB6W.

G0VTI Rating: 3/5 Jan 3, 2008 02:00 Send this review to a friend
Not sure  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

I have a very small garden with limited space. My main HF antenna is a half size G5RV which just fits comfortably across the roof of my bungalow and terminates in a nearby tree.

My rig is the IC-7000 and I run 40 watts PSK31, and about 70 Watts CW.

I saw the Diamond HF Wide Band Antenna 2-30MHz
advertised and although quite expensive at 129 I thought that it might be worth buying as I might be able to use 80 Mtrs, as well as the other ham bands.

I purchased the BB6W and found it to be of good construction. It was quick and easy to install, one end attached to my chimney stack and one end to the tree. It is up at about 5 Mtrs. It looks very neat when installed.

My BB6W antenna does not need an ATU on 80, 40, 20, 15 or 10 Mtrs. The SWL does vary across these bands some being better than others but none being over 1.5:1. However, if I do connect my LDG-7000 ATU to the antenna it will not tune it on any band! I thought that I could work the WARC bands using this tuner. If I connect my old Vectronics manual tuner I can tune any band down to 1.1:1.

On 80 Mtrs I can hear plenty of UK and European stations but when I call CQ or answer a call on PSK31 or CW I get no replies at all! I have tried many times but no results. My half G5RV although not for 80 Mtrs will at least get me the odd reply on this band.

On 40 Mtrs I get better results and can work stations quite easily on PSK31 and CW.

On 20 Mtrs I get very poor results, also on 15 and 10 Mtrs.

On 30 Mtrs using my manual tuner I get very good results on CW and on PSK31.

I cannot get the antenna up any higher which may have increased performance. I have had the antenna for about 4 months now so still early days and I will persevere with it especially as we are now climbing out of the bottom of the cycle.

So, I like the look of the BB6W, it is neat and fits comfortably into my limited space. Performance on 40 and 30 Mtrs is quite good but so far poor on the other bands.

Looking back, would I have bought it? Not sure yet. Will report back later.

PD9RAY Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2007 13:04 Send this review to a friend
super antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi, I borrowed this amazing wire from a friend, who used it as a holiday antenna.
I moved in to a new house, so my tower is not up just yet, but you need to get rit of your HF sparks.
I put this up just 3 mtrs from the ground, from the house to the shed in the garden,and i can work all of europe without problems every day.
No really, this is not a DX-GUN, but it works quite nice, receives good on my Kenwood ts-570, and Yeasu ft-897d, and I can work HF really nice.
Thanks Diamond, for this wonderful small antenna!!!