Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Tokyo Hy-Power HC-1.5Kat Help

Reviews Summary for Tokyo Hy-Power HC-1.5Kat
Tokyo Hy-Power HC-1.5Kat Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $1150
Description: HF Band 1.5KW Auto Antenna Tuner
More info: http://www.tokyohypower.com

You can write your own review of the Tokyo Hy-Power HC-1.5Kat.

VK3YW Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2012 21:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner   Time owned: more than 12 months
The Tokyo Hy-Power HC-1.5Kat is a fantastic tuner and a perfect match for the HL2.5KFX and my FT5000 the whole station is push button and works a treat
When i first got the tuner i did notice it was a little noisy and as time has passed it progressively got worse and included a buzzing through the case , at which point i said enough is enough
the fan they use( although sealed barring ) is crap and i didn't bother to even try to fix it , it was vibrating so bad between my fingers it made them tingle
i sourced a replacement from jacar and had it installed in no time , and while i was at it installed a pair of 220 ohm 1/4 watt resistors in parallel with the positive line , that dropped the speed nicely while still giving adequate cooling , the fan is only in the switching stage in any case so unless you sit there and change bands 100 times a min your not going to have issues anyhow
the bottom 2 screws of the fan are a pain to get too without pulling the face off , but can be carefully undone with pointy nose pliers , all in all this cheap mod has made the tuner a 10 and will be a keeper for sure , and hasn't affected my 5 score , you cant blame someone for a failed fan , even though it was dodgey in the first place

N4UP Rating: 4/5 Jul 15, 2012 07:26 Send this review to a friend
A Keeper  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using this for about two months. I love the way it works automatically with my Yaesu FTdx5000mp and THP HL-1.5KDX. It and the amplifier switch bands automatically and all I have to do is hit a few dashes with my keyer and it is done. And of course it places the amplifier in standby for the two seconds or less it needs to tune.

Two negatives. ( 1 ) The high-pitched whine. I called the factory representative and he said just to disconnect the fan. That is not as easy as it sounds. I have learned to live with the noise. ( 2 ) The advertized 4:1 limit on SWR. Other tuners can do much better than that, but not necessarily as fast or as well-interfaced. On the other hand, who would want an antenna with very high SWR.

Another positive. I have had two sudden feed-line failures in two months. The THP HC-1.5KAT saved the day, protecting my equipment. In both cases the "alarm" was triggered. If it cannot tune an antenna that is supposed to be well within the 4:1 SWR range, then it is telling you something is wrong with your antenna or feed-line. And right it was.

NN3RP Rating: 4/5 Mar 11, 2012 16:04 Send this review to a friend
Very Good but...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got me an used unit this week. The thing that I don't like is the high pitch noise that I am experiencing as the unit is on.

I am using it in manual tunning into my 1.2Kfx.

I read here about a fix to the high pitch which seems to be related to the fan inside. It's really annoying and I need to get it fixed.

Rafael / NN3RP
pinoleronica at hotmail com

K3GC Rating: 5/5 Feb 29, 2012 16:14 Send this review to a friend
Just About Perfect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the THP 1.5 so this tuner is a natural. I could go on and on with praises of my HC-1.5KAT but it suffices to say that it does everything it is supposed to do and does it to perfection.

As it claims it tunes all frequencies in about 1 sec. My SWR across the board is 1.1 or lower after tuning. My antennas are resonant but on the edges there was still some risk to a very expensive amp not to mention fluctuating SWRs due to rain or ice.

It is expensive but the best usually is.

KC4CP Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2010 03:57 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own the THP 2.5 Amplifier, so the matching tuner was a natural choice. I drive the THP equipment with a FLEX 5000. Here is what I have discovered:

PROs:
* Having 3 Antenna Connections is great! I have an MA5B beam (5 bands, 10-20m), 40m dipole, & 80m dipole. No antenna switch needed! (The Palstar Auto Tuner has only 1 Antenna Connection.)
* Virtually the same price as the Palstar Auto Tuner.
* Though I don't yet have it set up for "Full Automatic" (I am lazy - but I will get there), I do have it connected to my THP AMP. In this configuration, it tracks with the AMP Band Selection and tunes when it first detects RF. No need to ever touch it. Sweet!
* Tuning time is never more than 2 seconds.
* It handles Legal Limit +++.
* It is amazingly small and takes up very little space on my operating desk.
* Easily tunes much higher SWR than advertised. On 80m, it tunes 5:1 or higher SWR!

CONs:
* (Really I wouldn't call the following item a "CON" because I don't think any AT would be able to do this - but it is note worthy). It tunes 10-40 with ease. On 80m it needs a little help on the lower end. Tuning is possible 230 Khz either side of resonant frequency = 460 Khz total. However, my dipole is resonant at 3.880 - so it tunes through 3.999 with ease, but 3.650 is as low as it will go. IF I ADD SOME LENGTH TO MY DIPOLE & make it resonant at 3.770, I would be good down to 3.540! Can't ask for much better. I run the 80m antenna out of the THP tuner and through my Palstar 2K manual tuner. I keep the Palstar tuned for 3.770 and I am then good from 3.540-3.999. You could do the same with 160m. Again, no legal limit Auto Tuner is going to be able to tune more than this.
* I do miss the cross needle meter.

Well, there you have it ... my review of the THP HC-1.5Kat. If you have a THP amp, this should be a very easy decision. And it should work fine with any other amp/rig.

David WR4N (ex - KC4CP, AC4CP)

W1JUS Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2008 13:46 Send this review to a friend
Silence is golden  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Just received my HL-1.5Kat back from AVAL in VA. The turn around time at their shop was TWO days!! It's now as quiet as a church mouse!!! I routinely tune
SWR's over 3:1 on 80 by using the presets (you'll need to experiment to see what works on what freq on
80 &40 with high SWR ). I thought about giving Expert a try but didn't like no one answering the phone & the Bible quote on web site turned me off big time.

W6VA Rating: 2/5 Dec 27, 2007 13:07 Send this review to a friend
SWR Problem/Fan Noise  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The tuner failed to handle even a 3:1 SWR(claims to handle 4:1). Tried to load up on 40 meters with no more than 3:1 and faulted out every time.
Tuner did work on 2:1 or less so it was working. The fan noise has a high pitch whine to it which is very annoying. The amplifier fan is much lower in pitch and is not intrusive but for some reason the tuner fan is much higher pitch and possibly louder which makes for a very unpleasant sound in the shack. On the plus side it does match the amplifier nicely and band tracks as the amplifier and rig change. Manual tuning is very confusing. All in all I can't see this being worth the asking price. It is a shame since the amplifier (an HL1.5) is very good. Ended up not keeping the tuner.

W1JUS Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2007 12:38 Send this review to a friend
Best Tuner I've Used  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received the HC-1.5KFX about a month ago and I
really like only having to talk into the mic to tune. Another plus its size, lots of room for the flow of air - 1k tuners need to be a certain size! - maybe thats the reason users are not instructed use 1/2 power when contesting,talking longer than 3-5 min and to keep swr under 1.6!
The presets for 160 & 80 are very useful.
When I first used the tuner with the HL-1.5KFX it
showed virtually no Pr - I thought there was no Pfwd until I checked - full 1K. What a tuner !!

K6PTS Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2007 23:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner - Works as promised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the HC-1.5KAT & the HL-1.5KFX 1KW amplifier together from HRO-Sunnyvale (although the tuner was backed ordered from Japan for about 8 weeks).

When it was finally delivered I couldnít wait to get it on the air. I was immediately pleased with the fit and finish, it was the perfectly matched companion to the amplifier. Along with the auto-tuning / auto band changing features, I can seamlessly switch bands without a care. You never even have to touch the tuner when making band changes Ö itís great!

I'm driving the amp with an Icom-756ProIII and a simple 20/40m wire dipole antenna. The tuner effortlessly extends from my 20 & 40m into 40-10m. Hopefully I will be able to get a solution soon for 80 & 160. The HC-1.5 gives you three antenna inputs so you have plenty of room for all your antennas. Iíll add to my review after a couple more months but right now I am extremely pleased. The Tokyo Hy-power combo is definitely a capable and worthy alternative to folks looking for a solid state 1KW solution at a very attractive price point.

W6OP Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2007 12:06 Send this review to a friend
Very nice tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Even though I have only had the auto tuner a couple of weeks I thought I should add a review since it is a new product.

The auto tuner works great with my TS-480 and HL-1.5K amplifier. As I change bands on the TS-480, the amp switches bands and the auto tuner switches bands to follow. This is probably the feature I like the most. It tunes via rf sensing so as soon as I start to transmit (CW or SSB) it immediately retunes. If the amp is not in standby, the tuner switches it to standby while tuning so you are not hurting your amp transmitting into a high swr. The great thing about this is you can just switch to a frequency with a DX station and make a call without tuning. It will tune while you are making your first call. If you move up or down the band it will retune if necessary

THP says you need 50 to 85 watts to tune but I find I can tune at 10 watts (CW). If I am not ready to make a call, I'll just move to an unused frequency, hit the tune button on my TS-480 (10 watts) and be ready to go. I run my TS-480 at 70 watts anyway so I don't over drive the amp so I really don't have to tune ahead of time anyway.

I tried manually tuning the amp also. It initially was confusing. There is only a Function button and a single knob that also can be pushed in to set parameters. I am used to two knobs for the capacitors and a knob or switch for the inductor (T match circuit). Once you get used to it, however it is quite easy and fast to tune manually. The inductor is fixed and there are two motor driven 3000 volt variable caps. Using the one knob, both caps are adjusted at the same time.
On some bands additional fixed caps are also switched in.

So far the tuner has worked great for me. It tunes all my antennas on all bands. Well almost, I had my cables crossed and it wouldn't tune my 6 meter antenna on any HF bands :) Once I connected it correctly it worked on all my HF antennas. All of my antennas that are not resonant do not present too high swr. The matching range is closer to the built in auto tuners in transceivers than some other manual tuners. There are three antenna outputs and the band tracking remembers which antenna to use. It is not designed to work on 6 meters so it bypasses the tuner when you switch to that band.

It does have a small internal cooling fan. While it is pretty quiet it has a higher pitch to it and is noticeable over the sound of my amp when I don't have my headphones on. I always operate with headphones, though, and then don't hear it at all.

Overall, great! I really like the fact I don't have to switch bands, and I can just transmit without tuning and it puts the amp in standby until tuning is finished.

Pete W6OP