Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Alinco DR-600T Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DR-600T
Alinco DR-600T Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Dual-Band VHF/UHF mobile w/ optional separation kit.
More info: http://www.alinco.com/usa.html

You can write your own review of the Alinco DR-600T.

KX6G Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2013 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Still good after all these years!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's amazing that this radio has become my go-to 2m rig. I own an Icom ic-901 with all but the 6m module, and I still prefer this radio over the Icom, which I think has one of the nicest control heads going [IC-901].

The Alinco has been in the truck, in my boat, and on the desktop, which is where it is now. I just seem to always go to this radio.

It has been in repair once for a tune-up with battery replacement and an element replaced in the mic. Thats it! It has been so abused, and still preforms wonderfully. Audio reports are always excellent.

For about a year I used the x-band repeat function as a range extender for my HT while at work. Never missed a beat, even when the inside
temp of the truck during the summer would melt your face.

73 KX6G

K5JIL Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2011 07:57 Send this review to a friend
Alinco DR-600T battery replacement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Love this radio. When bought it would not retain memories. After google research I found out location on memory battery was in the detachable head. 3 Volt round type battery. I called Batteries Plus and they built me(on location) an exact type with necessary solder tabs for the Alinco DR-600t for $4.99. WOW!! 73s

W9WZJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2011 00:00 Send this review to a friend
Good old rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a few dual banders in my time, and I can tell you, for the money and ease of operation, the DR-600T is a fine rig, if it works 100%. The 2 meter final is a M57726R - R meaning reverse design and $81.80 from RF Parts.
Dual volume and squelch controls right on the front. No fiddling with the microphone buttons to find the menu to turn the squelch back while driving and listening to the other band. It is a TON safer.
They are still holding their value at near $200.

W9OE Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2009 20:50 Send this review to a friend
old reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my DR 600 new in 1993 in think? I tested it the other day and it only showed 10 watts out on high in UHF. Then I tested my Ts 2000 at the same power level and it showed 10 watts out. I replaced my meter and the old DR 600 is putting out full power. :-} The radio has been used in the shack and Mobile for many years and still performs like new.

It is on it's third memory battery, no other repairs have been needed since new!

KI2U Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2007 12:20 Send this review to a friend
A great radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am rating this as a used radio. I purchased mine from an SK sale. It is true that the internal battery was dead and would not hold memory. It took some looking to find it. It is in the control head/front panel. Once I located it, cost to repair was $3 and some solder. I have this radio as part of a portable emergency station in a box. I actually like hearing the fan running as it lets me know it is working. I will agree that it would be nice to have the ability to make the panel even dimmer, but with age, my eyesight is going to need all it can get. My watt meter shows full power out and there is lots of good information on these radios available. I have both the dtmf microphone and also a heil headset that I use with it. It is designed to do the cross-band repeat work though I have not tried it yet. I like that it will monitor both UHF and VHF at the same time...even has separate speaker jacks for it. Mine is used and other than replacing the battery, it has performed flawlessly!!

N0VA Rating: 3/5 Aug 20, 2007 20:26 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good old dual-band  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I noticed this radio had not been reviewed here on eHam. There must be quite a number of them still in use and I would like to see what others have to say. The DR-600T replaced the DR-599T and was in turn replaced by the DR-605T. I have owned this one a short time and use it strictly at home with a power supply. This model is out-of-production.

Mine will not retain memory channel data when switched off, even with the power supply left on. Hopefully, a battery replacement will correct this problem. It does have a cooling fan and the fan turns at a high rate making more noise than I would like to hear. The display backlight has two setting, bright and too bright. I would prefer a few more steps down in brightness. The key press/function "Beep" volume is selectable between too loud or not at all. Separate UHF/VHF pigtails require an external duplexer for use with a dual-band antenna.

The size is good for a home base radio, about 2H x 6W x 7D. Programming is fairly simple and a user's manual is available in the Alinco.com archives. The rig has received good TX audio reports on local a repeater and the audio output (2.5W) is good from external speakers. I heard 1 complaint about the DTMF tones being a bit too loud.

The only mods I've found on-line are to extend the TX and RX range. What I would have prefered were mods to lower the "beep" volume, more dimmer steps for the backlight, and continuous fan operation at a much lower and quieter RPM. With a new memory battery and those modifications I would rate this one a "4."