Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-7A Help

Reviews Summary for N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-7A
N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-7A Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $300 plus shipping
Description: Vertical version of the ZN series of iambic paddles, replacing the ZN-3A. Available in brass base only.
More info: http://www.n3znkeys.com

You can write your own review of the N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-7A.

WG9U Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2008 08:00 Send this review to a friend
It's NOT your Grandfather's paddle!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like the reviewer above, I also found Tony by chance. After looking over his site, I realized he had a vertical paddle. I've always wanted to try one, and the features description was impressive, plus, magnetic returns were a prerequisite for me. So, I sent Tony an email with some questions and he responded very quickly, was very informative, and explained that ZN-7A was final result of several prototypes... I had some special requests and he was very accommodating, so I decided to purchase.

The key arrived very well packaged and on opening the box I was amazed to find ZN-7A Serial#: 3.

First, let me say that the key is superbly constructed and I am very impressed with the quality, design, and appearance. Basically, it took me all of almost six (6) seconds to initially adjust it to my keying style and preference. After a few test runs I made a little “tweak” on the tension for each paddle, and away I went.

I particularly liked the weight of the key, the firmness and tactile feel of the carbon paddles. The responsiveness and sensitivity is quite amazing. I’m an self-proclaimed Iambic mode B ‘light touch” operator, which means I don’t slap or “heavy hand” my paddles like some I observed; my fingers never lose contact with the paddles.

This technique has caused me to be very discerning about what I consider the critical aspects of a good Iambic paddle. The weight of the key has to be enough that I can tension the paddles for a light, but firm, tactile response, without base movement. For me, if the tension is too light, I don’ have a feel the keying, too firm and my timing is off; both of these situations produce a variety of keying mistakes. The sensitivity of ZN-7A combined with its very fine micro adjustment capability, let me set it up, for my preferences, very quickly and easily. I was able to attain a light, crisp feel for the paddles, and maintain lightning quick responsiveness.

The ZN-7A is extremely comfortable to use for extended periods of time, which made it almost effortless to sustain a constant keying speed with very little fatigue.

This is the first vertical key configuration I’ve tried and I can definitely tell a difference in the paddle travel versus a conventional iambic key. I honestly didn’t think the differentiation would be that noteworthy and/or conspicuous. This particular characteristic significantly contributes to overall physical comfort and the practically effortless keying.

After using this key it is quite easy to recognize the potential for an appreciable increase in sending rate, as you become more accustomed its individual characteristics. I found, after using the key for a relatively short time, that I was unconsciously out pacing my normal sending rate, which my friend kindly pointed out to me with a, “…n a hurry…” remark.

In conclusion, the ZN-7A's superior workmanship, design, and responsiveness, combine to make it a simply outstanding paddle, and well worth the $300 price tag. In fact, there is such a remarkable difference I put my daily use paddles away. I have a feeling I'm going to be looking at his travel paddle in the very near future.

Try one, you will love it!

W9GE Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2007 17:05 Send this review to a friend
Wow!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bumped into Tony's web page by accident, took a look and immediately ordered a ZN-7A. Imagine my surprise when a few days later I opened the box and removed serial number 002. What a beautiful piece of artwork this key is. I have a small collection of paddles including several Benchers, an original FYO, Autronic, Begali, March and Shurr Profi's. This one has replaced all on the operating table and is my "user" from now on. I compared it to the Shurr Profi by saying "its a race car compared to driving a pick up" and I mean it. Not to degrade the others but his is one magnificent paddle. Thanks Tony for being such an artisan and craftsman. 73 bob de w9ge