Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | High Sierra Trailblazer HF/VHF/UHF Antenna System Help

Reviews Summary for High Sierra Trailblazer HF/VHF/UHF Antenna System
Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $750
Description: The Trailblazer covers all of HF and VHF/UHF with one portable antenna system that can be used just about anywhere. The Trailblazer has High Sierra Antennas famous HS-1800/Pro Antenna along with a separate VHF/UHF antenna.
More info: http://www.hamcq.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=95

You can write your own review of the High Sierra Trailblazer HF/VHF/UHF Antenna System.

IRABREN Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2008 20:23 Send this review to a friend
Great with elevated radials  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got this package and mounted the antenna on the tripod in backyard - my elmer told me to elevate the radials even more - so I attached them in a circle to my backyard fence and posts of house - up 4 ft - wow - a great improvement in received signals.
This is a great tip - because the radials are NOT ground radials - they are elevated radials - so get them up higher !!
Ira, KE5STP

IRABREN Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2008 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent System  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received this and have it set up on the tripod on lawn - WOW - It is outstanding antenna(hs-1800 pro) - can tune 10-80 with controller - vhf works well too - it is well made - quality - but expensive - unlike others ( force 12 sigma xkr which I bought previously ) - It works out of the box !!!!!!! - this is important to me as I am new - with no background in electronics. The instructions are fairly good - but jump around a bit - but manual has good important info. Well packaged.
I would have preferred a 123 setup procedure exactly matching the tripod setup - I am not "handy" - but I did figure it out. It assembles pretty easily. The HS-1800 Pro antenna has very excellent reviews elsewhere in the reviews section. This setup includes a tripod and a vhf/uhf antenna - which works quite well. In a strong wind the tripod could blow over.
All in all I highly recommend it!! It is expensive - but worth it! Customer service - good. Unlike Force 12 - they answer the phone and Eileen knows the antenna and can answer basic questions. Check their "sale items - they have some neat stuff - I bought a Unun from them - it is an engineering marvel!! Also this antenna has a "quick disconnect for the whip - which is also an engineering marvel !!
Ira, KE5STP

KD0AGV Rating: 2/5 Nov 6, 2007 17:45 Send this review to a friend
Needs Help  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed an antenna to take to star parties (camping out with telescopes). I'm a retired Electronics Engineer. I tried this antenna several times before I took it on a camping trip. I had the assistance of a couple Ham friends. In my opinion this product is over priced. ($832.84 with shipping to Colorado). I paid extra for the Y-Box controller to work with my FT-897D (I have the ATAS120 on my truck). The plastic sleeve on the antenna scratches easy. The VHF/UHF is a short piece of solid wire with an open air coil folded into it (about the center). On the second day I took the Trailblazer down, ran the cable to my truck antenna. I've exchanged the Y-Box (cost an extra $50) for the standard controller (rocker switch, small metal box a cigarrette lighter plug. The standard box is easier to use for adjusting SWR. You have better control. The manual, has many coments like "Every week someone calls to say something is missing, when in fact, the item is in the box. Several people have make coments "They seem to thing the customer doesn't know what they are doing."

I have received rude emails from customer service. I called one day wishing to speak to customer service. I got the sales number by mistake. I asked for the correct number. I was told "look it up in your manual". Click. After spending $832, I didn't expect that.

The tripod is difficult to tighten. I was affarid of breaking the plastic knob. Before you purchase one, check around with your friends to see if anyone have this item. Look at it and try it out before you buy if you can. You can purchase a screwdriver antenna (one you like). Put it on a tripod add some cable.

W7TZZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2007 07:01 Send this review to a friend
Excellent portability, good performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Full time RV'r wanted portability, easy setup and good performance. Required some replacement parts on initial shipment and help with hi SWR's both issues handled OK by High Sierra. SWR's down to almost 1:1 on 80 - 10 meters; VHF/UHF ok too and initial signal reports are good. Could use a method to secure tripod to ground, I'll work on that. Met my need for portablity, performance with no more climbing on the roof of the motor home and NO holes drilled!

KE5GZR Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2007 17:58 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Antenna System!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I spent several weeks searching for the perfect antenana that can be utilized as both a base and portable antenna system. I found it with the new Trailblazer antenna system from High Sierra Antennas! High Sierra promptly filled my order and shipped it to me the following day. When I opened up both boxes, I immediately knew I had made an excellent choice. The quality of workmanship, the organization of parts and the ease in setting up this antenna is outstanding! It took me 10 minutes to set up the antenna and lay out the eight (8) ground radials (very convenient setup) and another minute of adjusting the coil inductance with the handy control switch until I got a sharp dip in the SWR. I quickly adjusted the antenna to 40 meters with an SWR of 1.1:1 and I was on the air! If there was a Nobel Prize for portable antennas, this one would get my nomination.