Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | West Mountain Radio CLRdsp Help

Reviews Summary for West Mountain Radio CLRdsp
West Mountain Radio CLRdsp Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $219.95
Description: Outboard DSP with internal 4 watt audio amplifier for use with your station speaker.
More info: http://www.westmountainradio.com/CLRdsp.htm

You can write your own review of the West Mountain Radio CLRdsp.

KC2OTC Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2014 14:08 Send this review to a friend
works great  Time owned: months
I picked up the west mountain dsp today, needles to say it works great, it brought my old faithful Kenwood ts430s into the 21st century, gets rid of all kinds of noise and makes listening a pleasure again.I'm glad I spent $180.00 on this dsp unit rather than $2000.00 on a new rig. I run a flag pole antenna with ground radials in the salt water in my yard, we live at the jersey shore, verticals are known for picking up all sorts noise, the west mountain dsp cleans it all up nicely, and hats off to Cheapham in Toms River NJ, really nice to walk in and talk to a ham that knows whats he's talking about and enjoys chatting with his customers,

AA9NN Rating: 4/5 Nov 26, 2013 08:19 Send this review to a friend
Update to past review  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
OK, first unit was junk, poor build quality as previous stated. Sent unit directly to the factory with my receipt from AES. Received back NEW unit in less then 10 days. New build quality is better, new knobs and all features work. OLD UNITS HAVE SET VALUES, new units have a variable Filtering. WHEN DEALING WITH AES OR OTHERS RESELLERS ask what version they have.
I have this on my Orion I and it works as advertised. better DSP NR then Ten Tec :)

Jim AA9NN

K8JHR Rating: 3/5 Oct 1, 2013 17:14 Send this review to a friend
Just OK... disappointing  Time owned: more than 12 months
The CLRdsp does what it purports to do - just not very well. It has a too limited 4 step control - which either does too little or or too much. If set low, it is equivalent to a RadioShack DSP40 (which sells for less than $40 these days,) and if on the highest setting, it introduces unreasonably high digital artifact, including annoying ringing, rendering it useless at that setting.

I am a big fan of DSP filters, having owned several competing products, and having used pretty much everything made for receivers in the past two decades, and I MUCH prefer and regularly use Timewave DSP audio filters. I even liked the RS DSP40, especially considering its low cost. It was good, but not good enough (i.e. not sufficiently aggressive to be really helpful) compared to the Timewave products. I sold my CLRdsp and kept the Timewave DSP599zx.

(All comments relate to SSB and AM reception. I did not get around to using it with CW or digital modes, so perhaps it works better on other modes.)

Of course, you mileage may vary, and I am realistic and sufficiently well informed to know what to expect from these accessories - and I do not expect them to be a cure for all unwanted noise on receptions - while the CLRdsp worked, it just did not work as well as other products.

Just MY take...anyway... Happy trails. // K8JHR //

PY2VR Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2013 17:55 Send this review to a friend
Amazing DSP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am owner of Timewave 599ZX and another homemade DSP even well done. A ham friend told me about your last acquisition in Dayton Ham Fest, a DSP wich he named as "Magic Speaker". Last week I bought the West Mountain Clear Speech and today I got to test it. Amazing !!! Wonderful results!! This is the first DSP module that I listen and it's work very well. Congratulations West Mountain Team, amazing product, it will help me reach my DXCC. 73s Eduardo PY2VR

K4GHR Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2013 12:09 Send this review to a friend
My Favorite Ham Radio Accessory  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned a WMR ClrDSP for over a year now. It is my favorite ham radio accessory. It takes noisy, crappy audio from any rig and turns it into near FM quality. Used in conjunction with an older rig, it's like owning one of the newest, best. Used in conjunction with a new DSP capable rig, it offers that final bit of cleaning that makes audio highly intelligible and nice!

Great device. If mine died, I'd absolutely buy another!

Brent / K4GHR

KF7Z Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2013 14:51 Send this review to a friend
Top Notch Effective  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My main rig is an Elecraft K3, which has horrid audio quality from its built-in speaker. In conjunction with selecting a new external speaker for the K3, I decided to try this WMR DSP, and Iím glad I did. While it is a bit of an expensive accessory, I find it valuable with my high prevailing levels of natural and man-made band noise. I also have a top-notch ICOM R9500 commercial receiver with excellent digital noise reduction circuitry. This gives me three options to compare when it comes to noise reduction: The WMR CLRdsp, the K3 built-in NR circuitry, and the R9500 built-in NR circuitry.

Judging the effectiveness of DSP is complicated by so many selections for processing in modern digital rigs. However, I find that there are generally two different situations with respect to level of performance. Those are the strong-signal situation, and the weak signal situation. In the strong signal case, all three solutions perform well, but the WMR CLRdsp is the very best in terms of ability to reduce noise, almost to the point of elimination, with minimal distortion of the audio. The R9500 is second, and the K3 is third. With the WMR DSP, when handling a strong SSB signal, the noise can be almost totally eliminated, leaving audio that is very near to AM commercial broadcast quality. The R9500 can eliminate most of the noise, but not all, with very little degradation of audio quality. Although still reasonably effective, the K3 performs least well. In all cases, the K3 seems the most prone to distortion of the received audio as a consequence of NR processing.

In weak signal cases, the challenge is to reduce the noise level without attenuation of the target station signal. Where the R9500 comes out ahead, is digging out weak-signal CW stations, with the WMR DSP a close second. For some weak signal stations, when I donít want to fuss with using the R9500 as an outboard RX, my best result seems to be with the WMR DSP and the K3 NR both turned on to low levels of processing. For weak signal SSB, the R9500 and the WMR CLRdsp seem about equally effective.

For owners of rigs without built-in DSP, I would think that this West Mountain Radio digitial audio processor might be great station addition. Iím satisfied that even in conjunction with rigs incorporating built-in DSP (at least for my two examples), this WMR DSP is worth the $200 that it cost. In my opinion, the great strength of this particular unit is the ability to reduce background noise without significant distortion of the received audio.

For everyday scanning of the bands, I leave the WMR CLRdsp on all the time, with filtering set to the 10 oíclock position, as recommended in the little operating manual.

I paid $200, including shipping, from Ham Radio Outlet.

W9RJA Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2012 23:00 Send this review to a friend
Great product !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased the West Mountain CLRdsp outboard filter---This is one great filter! I've used the original CLEARSPEECH filters by AM-COM over the years with good results also, but this one works great as the amount of filtering is adjustable along with the volume.

KT4EP Rating: 4/5 May 6, 2011 17:45 Send this review to a friend
A surprise performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got my unit yesterday. So simple to use - MID & HI positions seem to clear up the audio to my satisfaction. For the price it seems high for what you get; but, it's worth it. All the works are hidden - no knob twisting & etc.

KA2FBL Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2010 16:27 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Product!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I like to tune into some chats on 75 meters while working on my computer late at night. Kinda like talk radio, except on a subject I can enjoy. Two or three of the stations might sound good, but there is always that one station that the noise gets the best of and makes me strain to hear. All I have to do is put the DSP on the lowest setting and the audio comes up just above the noise. Also, it is perfectly readable. West Mountain built another winner in my book!

-Mike-
KA2FBL

KC2GUY Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2010 11:28 Send this review to a friend
Great Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like to rag chew on 75 meters often. During the summer we all know how much atmospheric noise there can be. I also live in a fairly urban environment which doesn't help. I have owned several of the other outboard DSP units out there. They have come and gone to ebay. This one is a keeper. I believe the DSP circuit has been upgraded from the original.
Between this unit, and the filtering on my Icom Pro 2, i am often able to get a signal that is a pleasure to listen to on SSB. Without it, often conditions would keep me off the air. I am very satisfied and I am sure you will be to. Don't hesitate to purchase this DSP unit. You may be wasting your time like I did, with any other. To be complete, I have not tried the Gap unit.