Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Yaesu FT-950 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-950
Yaesu FT-950 Reviews: 287 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1840
Description: The Yaesu FT-950 is an HF/6m transceiver which features IF DSP as well as 3 kHz, 6 kHz and 15 kHz roofing filters. The transceiver can be interfaced with the DMU-2000 to add additional functions such Band Scope, Audio Scope, X-Y Oscilloscope, World Clock, Rotator Control, and extensive transceiver status displays, in addition to station logging capability. The optional RF µTuning Kits may be connected via the rear panel, providing improved selectivity to protect the receiver from close-in interference on a crowded band.
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0950.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-950.

K4CJR Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2015 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ever wonder why a radio gets a 4.6/5 and some give it a 0 or 3? Sounds like operator error to me. READ THE MANUAL. ADJUST THE RADIO>

AE5YJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2015 19:21 Send this review to a friend
Fine rig, very happy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have done a lot of radio swapping in my day, but my favorite rig used to be the FT-920. It was just the perfect all around rig for me. I ended up trading it for a flex and regretted it. I then got out of the hobby for a bit and returned last year with the Alinco dx-sr9t. I have been saving and saving, and at a recent hamfest was faced with the choice of the venerable 920 that I highly revered or the newer FT-950. Long story short, I decided to try out the 950, and boy am I glad I did.

I have not had it very long, but am loving every bit of it and it has reawakened my love for Yaesu products. The DSP is a pleasure to use, and makes HF RX much more pleasurable. I get amazing audio reports with the Mic. EQ, and having virtually all controls with a dedicated button or knob is just a dream come true (I hate menus). A lot of folks ding this rig for the lack of a dedicated power out feature, I simply did as another reviewer here suggested and assigned the CS switch to the power function. Easy.

This may not be a 2k, 3k, or even a 5k but it is all the radio I will ever need for many years. It is fun to operate (an accolade I couldn't give to either the flex or alinco) and this payday I am ordering the RT dongle IF tap kit to get a full panadapter. I could not be more satisfied with this rig. My only suggestion would be to follow Icom's lead and add an onboard USB port for digi modes. Other than that, I am very happy. Would highly recommend, even over my old favorite the 920.

TA3EP Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2015 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had bought this rig second hand and have mounted the ACOC 3K filter in it myself. It is a great rig. I made all of the firmware upgrades. Sensitive receiver, hammering transmitter, gets very good modulation reports. No chronicle illness. Works like charm as the first day. I made its antenna tüner work even with a random longwire antenna, by using a counterpart of course. That's enough, ıt's a great rig, and deserves solid 5 points.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2014 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Better than before!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have added the ACOC 3K filter to the FTDX950, for me a winning combination, priceee an if I were to sell the radio would not be able to get the money out of it that I now have in it, but it does give better resallaion for weak signals on 15-17-20- 40-75 meters, don't have to ask stations afar to repeat very often, easy copy!
The FTDX950 is backup for the FTDX5000MP, do use it for Rag Chewing most days, radio has never given trouble, it is a winner in my book an like the radio a lot. The 950 is easy for me to use an was easy to setup at this station.............
KB6HRT

W9NFL Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2014 14:50 Send this review to a friend
Very nice radio..  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this radio since 2010. I have had some other radios like TS 480, Icom 706 MKII and other and always sold them. This one is a perfect fit for me. No plans to get rid of this one..

WD9LEO Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2014 14:42 Send this review to a friend
great rig, should still be makingf them  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
have had this rig since 2-14, thoroughly enjoyable rig, I am still learning how to set it up and how to operate it. but its fun to use. next project is to purchase the dmu unit. too bad that yaesu replaced the 950 with that fine piece of work, the ftdx 1200. looked at it tried it out and ordered a 950.. nuff said

KA1ILH Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2014 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Voice modual storage unit, DMU 2000 and running the W2IHY Eq with a Heil ICM mic along with the 2000 speaker. Fantastic radio once I got things dialed in, difficult but very rewarding! A few annoying button locations and knobs but once I got used to them no problems.. Also using HRD makes operations like split and digital modes (signal link interface) a piece of cake.
Did my DXCC in a year and working on CW DXCC, no complaints and I have not done any modes or updates right out of the box worked for me. Tweaking it took time but with all things we all need to make it ours.
I am Elmering a newbie on the same radio and he is having a ball. Good DX radio with tons of bells and whistles.. been a ham and a Yaesu fan for 30+ years

VA6GC Rating: 4/5 Jun 28, 2014 09:38 Send this review to a friend
FT-950 Dial Kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I heard about the "dial kit" for my FT-950 some weeks back and like any good ham, had to have it.
The dial is heavier than stock and has a nice feel when installed. Instructions are good on the net. The one thing that puzzled me was "the" spring. The spring treads onto the threads of the dial shaft creating tension on the knob. Without a bit of tension the dial will rotate on it's own
(out of round).
Overall it is fun to have:)

G3VIR Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2014 00:41 Send this review to a friend
A very nice all round Tranceiver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I traded my 757GXII for this FT950 as I thought it about time I moved into the modern world.
I've found it a great radio! Rx seems to be very sensitive even on 6 metres. It has taken me sometime to get used to all the menus and I am still reading the manual. Read, Read and read again is most important to get used to all the functions of this equipment. Unless you do you will not get the full potential. I'm still learning! Being a pensioner I sold everything to get this radio and am quite pleased I did. Great value for money especially now they have discontinued producing it. I like the way people go out of their way to comment on the good audio quality with the supplied MH-31 mike. My 757 lasted me over 30 years and I am sure this one will too! Go buy one today!

KF5GOI Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2014 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Love mine.   Time owned: more than 12 months
Sold Three of my FT101's that I cherished to afford one.
Audio Technica ATR1300 is about $30.00 on line new through Radio Shack. No high dollar mic., spend a little time with a good friend with a good ear to help tweek the built in equalizer and you have a sweet radio all the way. I was gonna buy a second new one for a spare. But waited too long.Now looking into FTDX1200.
One thing, I had never been into any of the new radios I quess it goes back as far as 10 to 15 years when I say new. Whenever they started making majority of components out of these micro miniature slivers of silicon.
I had purchased a semi new Icom 718 and a brand new one. Had some issues. Will post on reviews.
But that blew my mind when I found out what they had done with the components. I can't imagine these products lasting 50 to 60 years. Hope I'm wrong. I have been able to repair my FT101's and my Drakes. I'm equipt to fix those and build or repair amplifiers and power supplies as a Hobby. Not set up for these new components.
Lets hope for the best. Have fun and don't listen to anyone saying its to much to deal with on the FT-950. A lot of pages to the manual. A lot of it is explaining most of the same info. Some is quickie. Others are more detailed.