Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-950 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-950
Yaesu FT-950 Reviews: 285 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1840
Description: The Yaesu FT-950 is an HF/6m transceiver which features IF DSP as well as 3 kHz, 6 kHz and 15 kHz roofing filters. The transceiver can be interfaced with the DMU-2000 to add additional functions such Band Scope, Audio Scope, X-Y Oscilloscope, World Clock, Rotator Control, and extensive transceiver status displays, in addition to station logging capability. The optional RF µTuning Kits may be connected via the rear panel, providing improved selectivity to protect the receiver from close-in interference on a crowded band.
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0950.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-950.

TA3EP Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2015 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had bought this rig second hand and have mounted the ACOC 3K filter in it myself. It is a great rig. I made all of the firmware upgrades. Sensitive receiver, hammering transmitter, gets very good modulation reports. No chronicle illness. Works like charm as the first day. I made its antenna tüner work even with a random longwire antenna, by using a counterpart of course. That's enough, ıt's a great rig, and deserves solid 5 points.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2014 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Better than before!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have added the ACOC 3K filter to the FTDX950, for me a winning combination, priceee an if I were to sell the radio would not be able to get the money out of it that I now have in it, but it does give better resallaion for weak signals on 15-17-20- 40-75 meters, don't have to ask stations afar to repeat very often, easy copy!
The FTDX950 is backup for the FTDX5000MP, do use it for Rag Chewing most days, radio has never given trouble, it is a winner in my book an like the radio a lot. The 950 is easy for me to use an was easy to setup at this station.............
KB6HRT

W9NFL Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2014 14:50 Send this review to a friend
Very nice radio..  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this radio since 2010. I have had some other radios like TS 480, Icom 706 MKII and other and always sold them. This one is a perfect fit for me. No plans to get rid of this one..

WD9LEO Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2014 14:42 Send this review to a friend
great rig, should still be makingf them  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
have had this rig since 2-14, thoroughly enjoyable rig, I am still learning how to set it up and how to operate it. but its fun to use. next project is to purchase the dmu unit. too bad that yaesu replaced the 950 with that fine piece of work, the ftdx 1200. looked at it tried it out and ordered a 950.. nuff said

KA1ILH Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2014 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Voice modual storage unit, DMU 2000 and running the W2IHY Eq with a Heil ICM mic along with the 2000 speaker. Fantastic radio once I got things dialed in, difficult but very rewarding! A few annoying button locations and knobs but once I got used to them no problems.. Also using HRD makes operations like split and digital modes (signal link interface) a piece of cake.
Did my DXCC in a year and working on CW DXCC, no complaints and I have not done any modes or updates right out of the box worked for me. Tweaking it took time but with all things we all need to make it ours.
I am Elmering a newbie on the same radio and he is having a ball. Good DX radio with tons of bells and whistles.. been a ham and a Yaesu fan for 30+ years

VA6GC Rating: 4/5 Jun 28, 2014 09:38 Send this review to a friend
FT-950 Dial Kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I heard about the "dial kit" for my FT-950 some weeks back and like any good ham, had to have it.
The dial is heavier than stock and has a nice feel when installed. Instructions are good on the net. The one thing that puzzled me was "the" spring. The spring treads onto the threads of the dial shaft creating tension on the knob. Without a bit of tension the dial will rotate on it's own
(out of round).
Overall it is fun to have:)

G3VIR Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2014 00:41 Send this review to a friend
A very nice all round Tranceiver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I traded my 757GXII for this FT950 as I thought it about time I moved into the modern world.
I've found it a great radio! Rx seems to be very sensitive even on 6 metres. It has taken me sometime to get used to all the menus and I am still reading the manual. Read, Read and read again is most important to get used to all the functions of this equipment. Unless you do you will not get the full potential. I'm still learning! Being a pensioner I sold everything to get this radio and am quite pleased I did. Great value for money especially now they have discontinued producing it. I like the way people go out of their way to comment on the good audio quality with the supplied MH-31 mike. My 757 lasted me over 30 years and I am sure this one will too! Go buy one today!

KF5GOI Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2014 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Love mine.   Time owned: more than 12 months
Sold Three of my FT101's that I cherished to afford one.
Audio Technica ATR1300 is about $30.00 on line new through Radio Shack. No high dollar mic., spend a little time with a good friend with a good ear to help tweek the built in equalizer and you have a sweet radio all the way. I was gonna buy a second new one for a spare. But waited too long.Now looking into FTDX1200.
One thing, I had never been into any of the new radios I quess it goes back as far as 10 to 15 years when I say new. Whenever they started making majority of components out of these micro miniature slivers of silicon.
I had purchased a semi new Icom 718 and a brand new one. Had some issues. Will post on reviews.
But that blew my mind when I found out what they had done with the components. I can't imagine these products lasting 50 to 60 years. Hope I'm wrong. I have been able to repair my FT101's and my Drakes. I'm equipt to fix those and build or repair amplifiers and power supplies as a Hobby. Not set up for these new components.
Lets hope for the best. Have fun and don't listen to anyone saying its to much to deal with on the FT-950. A lot of pages to the manual. A lot of it is explaining most of the same info. Some is quickie. Others are more detailed.

N7RST Rating: 4/5 May 27, 2014 10:22 Send this review to a friend
Okay but not Stellar  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the FT-2000 and it doesn't have a very good rcvr. The FT-950 is actually better. What I like about the radio, basically easy to use, relatively user friendly even though some functions are not logically located. Ergonomics could be better but if you learn the radio it isn't a big deal. On part withe the 756PRO series (have had them also).

What I don't exactly like about the 950:
1. Roofing filter control does nothing. No affect.
2. NB and NR are so so as with many other radios, even those that are way more money.
3. Split operating is a bit lacking in properly displaying that function on this radio (totally great on the FT-920).
4. Still has a squelch control but a menu driven power control. Huh?

Anyway, for the 800-1100 you could/might spend it isn't bad. You can get a clearn PRO2 for that and have basically the same thing. I have the IF-2000 installed and have a much better bandscope on my computer monitor and don't find myself needing or using it much.

GL if you get one, should be okay. Don't expect it to be a low band radio, there you need something like the FT-1000 series.

N8QN Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2014 12:49 Send this review to a friend
A Classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Over 3000 contacts to date bringing my dx country totals to 270 in 3 years use.
Never a problem with the radio, a solid workhorse.
Great receiver!
I've owned the the Icom 746 PRO It has a MAJOR design flaw. The Kenwood 870 just isn't in the same ballpark as the 950, although I love Kenwood.
When Yaesu stopped manufacturing the 950, it broke a lot of hearts.If you don't mind used equipment this baby won't let you down!
35 years hamming experience.