Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Yaesu FT-950 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-950
Yaesu FT-950 Reviews: 292 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1840
Description: The Yaesu FT-950 is an HF/6m transceiver which features IF DSP as well as 3 kHz, 6 kHz and 15 kHz roofing filters. The transceiver can be interfaced with the DMU-2000 to add additional functions such Band Scope, Audio Scope, X-Y Oscilloscope, World Clock, Rotator Control, and extensive transceiver status displays, in addition to station logging capability. The optional RF ĶTuning Kits may be connected via the rear panel, providing improved selectivity to protect the receiver from close-in interference on a crowded band.
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0950.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-950.

M3IUC Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2016 03:56 Send this review to a friend
BEST VALUE TRANSCEIVER  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have given this 5 stars simply because of value for the money. Ok there are better radios out there but not at this price i paid £800 for mine with the optional remote control and the voice memory unit and dust cover. from a display in a Ham shop good as new. audio is very good on receive and transmit after reading the manual several times to get the best from this radio, it is well worth taking the time to do this. I now use a studio condenser microphone with a phantom 48v power supply operated with a foot switch picture on qrz under call sign m3iuc.
some reviews have said they dont like the auto tuner , i will admit it is noisy but it does the job well , i am using a 119ft end fed long wire and a 9.1 unun and it tunes every band from 1.8 to 30 mhz without any problems.The radio i had before this was a ft920 also a very good radio but i think this one has just got a edge on the 920. If you can pick one up for under £900 and i know you can go for it you wont be disappointed.

N8QN Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2016 06:51 Send this review to a friend
Still Impressed...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Approaching 5 years of continuous trouble free operation.

K3KRN Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2016 23:08 Send this review to a friend
great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this rig since 2009 and have not had any problems at all. I've done all the firmware updates and keep it turned on 24/7. by the way, the roofing filters work! highly recommend.

KF2CF Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2016 11:38 Send this review to a friend
Update: Fours years of very good service  Time owned: more than 12 months

I purchased mine about four years ago after reviewing the ARRL laboratory evaluation. Based on features, performance and price I have found the FT950 to be an excellent radio that has provided reliable service.

Receive performance is among the most common criticisms of the FT-950. I have always found that I was able to isolate signals with distinct clarity, even when those signals were in extremely close proximity to strong adjacent stations, either on CW or SSB. I have never found the need to use the APF. I have been able to completely separate stations without a hint of interference.

Iím especially impressed with the receiverís sensitivity. Based on actual on-the-air results I have so far been able to hear DX stations at or above the same level as other local operators with equal or greater clarity and readability. The filtering is better than adequate. I do not find the receiver to be noisy nor do I detect any audio hiss. I have received glowing reports for the transmit audio and I donít use the equalizer. I would judge the receiver and transmitter to be excellent.

I have gotten use to the digital S-meter and I now think I prefer it to a meter movement. Thankfully the front panel is not crowded. The controls are logical and have good accessibility for larger hands.

I have come to dislike the instrument, mono-color look of other radios and find them difficult and tiring to read. The use of various display colors on the FT-050 make this radio a real charm to use and also greatly enhances the rigs aesthetic appeal.

The automatic tuner is very noisy. I didnít find it to be a problem per se, but it is darn annoying. The automatic tuner seems to have a limited range. I was surprised that it worked okay on a temporary end-fed antenna arrangement I had, but there were bands and frequencies it would not adjust to. I have since switched to a homebrew, helically wound dipole fed with balanced line and now use a Heathkit SA-20670A tuner.

The set-up is menu driven and I will admit that it takes some getting use to. But not unlike competitive models, using the manual is a must.

I have only had one issue. Apparently something I did in the menu settings caused the receiver to zero beat on a CW signal, instead of providing a 700hz tone when centered on the receive frequency. This happened twice. After performing a power-on reset, it fixed itself.

For less than the $1300 US I paid for the FT950, I have no illusions that in some form or manner there are likely to be more expensive radios that do some things a bit better. But I would expect that to be the case. I am NOT a Yaesu flag waver, but I can probably own this radio for the rest of my life and be satisfied.

73s,
Dusty KF2CF

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2015 07:02 Send this review to a friend
So far...simply amazing!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only had the 950 in the shack for a week and a bit but so far I am very happy and excited at the same time. I sold my beloved FT990 to buy this radio and I'm not sorry I did. While the FT990 was a stellar performer in its own right, it lacked many of the features that come standard on the 950. DSP, TX EQ, TX monitoring, dual VFO knobs, etc just to name a few. Integration into the station was pretty straight forward, having only have to change a few connector ends for the RTTY lines etc.

Before setting it in place I removed the bottom cover to set up the panadapter. I mounted an RCA jack on the rear panel and ran the coax from the scope out (H) to the jack. Set up HDSDR for the new IF and it's working perfectly. I really enjoyed the panadapter on the 990.

After going through the menu and setting my preferences, I checked to make sure my PC control, RTTY and CW keying was all working. No issues. Operating RTTY and CW has been a pure joy. Being able to dial the IF bandwidth down to 100Hz is fantastic. The SHIFT and CONTOUR controls only add to the flexibility of the receiver for digital work. Getting great signal and audio reports on SBB so no complaints there.

Setting up the 950 with my amp took a little longer. I use a small 12V relay in line to the amp. The +13.5V and TX GND lines on the tuner jack activate the relay on TX and close the contacts. This in turn shorts the -18V on the FL2100B keying line to ground, kicking the amp into TX. It works perfectly.

I still have a lot to learn with the 950, but so far it's been a pure joy to operate. I wasn't overly impressed by the front panel when I first saw it, but having one in the shack changed my mind. The display is crisp and clear and full of information.

Dare I say a "masterpiece".

K4CJR Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2015 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ever wonder why a radio gets a 4.6/5 and some give it a 0 or 3? Sounds like operator error to me. READ THE MANUAL. ADJUST THE RADIO>

AE5YJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2015 19:21 Send this review to a friend
Fine rig, very happy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have done a lot of radio swapping in my day, but my favorite rig used to be the FT-920. It was just the perfect all around rig for me. I ended up trading it for a flex and regretted it. I then got out of the hobby for a bit and returned last year with the Alinco dx-sr9t. I have been saving and saving, and at a recent hamfest was faced with the choice of the venerable 920 that I highly revered or the newer FT-950. Long story short, I decided to try out the 950, and boy am I glad I did.

I have not had it very long, but am loving every bit of it and it has reawakened my love for Yaesu products. The DSP is a pleasure to use, and makes HF RX much more pleasurable. I get amazing audio reports with the Mic. EQ, and having virtually all controls with a dedicated button or knob is just a dream come true (I hate menus). A lot of folks ding this rig for the lack of a dedicated power out feature, I simply did as another reviewer here suggested and assigned the CS switch to the power function. Easy.

This may not be a 2k, 3k, or even a 5k but it is all the radio I will ever need for many years. It is fun to operate (an accolade I couldn't give to either the flex or alinco) and this payday I am ordering the RT dongle IF tap kit to get a full panadapter. I could not be more satisfied with this rig. My only suggestion would be to follow Icom's lead and add an onboard USB port for digi modes. Other than that, I am very happy. Would highly recommend, even over my old favorite the 920.

TA3EP Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2015 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had bought this rig second hand and have mounted the ACOC 3K filter in it myself. It is a great rig. I made all of the firmware upgrades. Sensitive receiver, hammering transmitter, gets very good modulation reports. No chronicle illness. Works like charm as the first day. I made its antenna tŁner work even with a random longwire antenna, by using a counterpart of course. That's enough, ıt's a great rig, and deserves solid 5 points.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2014 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Better than before!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have added the ACOC 3K filter to the FTDX950, for me a winning combination, priceee an if I were to sell the radio would not be able to get the money out of it that I now have in it, but it does give better resallaion for weak signals on 15-17-20- 40-75 meters, don't have to ask stations afar to repeat very often, easy copy!
The FTDX950 is backup for the FTDX5000MP, do use it for Rag Chewing most days, radio has never given trouble, it is a winner in my book an like the radio a lot. The 950 is easy for me to use an was easy to setup at this station.............
KB6HRT

W9NFL Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2014 14:50 Send this review to a friend
Very nice radio..  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this radio since 2010. I have had some other radios like TS 480, Icom 706 MKII and other and always sold them. This one is a perfect fit for me. No plans to get rid of this one..