Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Yaesu FT-950 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-950
Yaesu FT-950 Reviews: 294 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1840
Description: The Yaesu FT-950 is an HF/6m transceiver which features IF DSP as well as 3 kHz, 6 kHz and 15 kHz roofing filters. The transceiver can be interfaced with the DMU-2000 to add additional functions such Band Scope, Audio Scope, X-Y Oscilloscope, World Clock, Rotator Control, and extensive transceiver status displays, in addition to station logging capability. The optional RF µTuning Kits may be connected via the rear panel, providing improved selectivity to protect the receiver from close-in interference on a crowded band.
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0950.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-950.

KP2BH Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2010 19:11 Send this review to a friend
my second ft-950  Time owned: months
A couple of weeks ago i wrote about my experience with my first ft-950.again and again i prove that AES in orlando was wrong all the way including the technician.i got a second radio from other store and this one is working like a champ.receiver its very nice and the audio quality superb.

W7OXB Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2010 18:30 Send this review to a friend
2 Years Later  Time owned: more than 12 months
This rig is great. Just worked 5 Italy stations,an E7,a dozen East Coast and a bunch of 7's all with a dipole at 25'. The updates that Yaesu keeps providing makes this one of the best values for the money. And yes the menus do take a bit of learning, but once you have them down it is a piece of cake and you can play with the big boys...........

SCOLOPENDRA Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2010 06:43 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own this radio about a year now, I'm very pleased with that buy.
The new firmware update v.11.54 solved the FM mode TX to RX frequency misalignment (about 667 Hz apart) that was one of the very latest (minor) issues left.
Don't know if there's room for the DNR upgrade, sometime I feel it desirable.
I'm dreaming it will be possible to have the selectable AGC Hold time and the Soft/Sharp and Slope menu in the same fashion like the more comfortable&complete and much better built big brother FT-2000.
The FT-950 is a very flexible, nice all-around performer as is, but let us dream about further improvements anyway.
'73

KR4EY Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2010 06:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for the price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had my FT-950 for almost a year and find it a excellent radio. I use it for DXing and Contesting and works very well. It is easy to use and there is no use to go into the menu every time you operate the radio. The only thing that I would change is the way the internal speaker sounds. But that can be fixed by adding a external speaker or using headphones.
And another gripe is everyone comparing a $1200 radio to a $3000 or $4000 radio witch it is not. The factory assembled K3/100 with the internal ATU, CW, SSB and AM filters is more then $3000 and the Icom 7600 is $4000.
Let's be realistic the only radios that have not been discontinued that we can compare this to is the Icom 7000 or 7200 and the Kenwood TS-480 or TS-2000.
I sure would like to see the data on this radio from Sherwood Engineering.

N9UQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2010 20:11 Send this review to a friend
STABLE & EASY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I GOT THE FT 950 AS AN UPGRADE AND COMPLIMENT TO THE FT 897 I HAVE. FT 950 HAS EASY ACCESS TO CONTOURE, NOTCH, WIDTH AND SHIFT WHICH MAKES IT VERY EASY TO LISTEN TO STATIONS DEEP IN THE NOISE. INTERNAL AUTO TUNE IS SIMPLE TO USE...ONE PUSH ACTIVATES ... AND WILL TUNE ANTENNA NOT CUT JUST RIGHT... THE UNIT WILL PROTECT IT SELF. WARNING INDICATOR OF HIGH SWR KEEPS YOU INFORMED. SMOOTH CONTROLS AND INTERACTS WITH HAM RADIO DELUX 100%, YOU JUST NEED A DB9 GENDER CHANGER AND A SERIAL TO USB CONNECTOR ADAPTOR. IF YOUR NOT A INTO PCS IT WILL TAKE TIME TO LEARN TO CONNECT FT 950 TO YOUR PC.. RF OUTPUT ROCK SOLID AND MANUAL AUDIO GAIN MAKE IT EASY TO AJUST AUDIO OUT ON THE FLY. IF YOU HAVE 2 ANTENNAS OUTSIDE CUT FOR DIFFERENT RECEIVE & TRANCEIVER OR TRANSCEIVE OPERATIONS THERE IS 2 ANTENNAS CONNECTORTS AT REAR OF THE RADIO AND ONE PUSH OF A FUNCTION...IT MAKES IT VERY EASY TO SWITCH WHEN YOU NEED TO ACTIVATE THAT ANTENNA FOR THAT BAND. THIS IS A VERY SWEET TRANSCEIVER....N9UQ

KB9MRK Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2010 12:46 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic all around Rig!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been a Ham for over 15 years and have seen and owned alot of radios. For the Money I must say the Yaesu FT-950 is the best rig out there. The receive is exceptional and I would compare it to rigs that cost 3 times this radio. As far as the transmit, once you set it up through the menu, adjusting the tone, punch, etc. to your liking its just awesome!!! I have been told by many people the radio sounds great and has almost an F.M sound quality to it. Do remember this takes adjusting in the menu settings for transmit, but its really no big deal to get it set right. Dollar for dollar this is the best rig I have ever owned, and I plan on keeping this one!!!! 7'3s.....

K0CWO Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2010 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Compared to my aging Icom 756ProII I like this radio. When I first bought this radio I missed the scope function of the ProII. I decided to get the DMU-2000 to overcome that short coming. See my DMU-2000 review here: http://www.eham.net/reviews/review/85450

Having used the FT-950 for four months, there are two minor features in the 756ProII that I have found I like better. 1) I wish the FT-950 would have the 3.6 KHz receive bandwidth capability that the 756ProII has, and 2) I find the slowest AGC setting on the ProII more pleasant to listen to than the slowest setting on the FT-950. This shortcoming can be overcome by RF Gain adjustment. I wonder if Yaesu can change these parameters in upcoming software changes?

If I did not have the 756ProII and I only used the FT-950 I probably would not find these two differences an issue. For my operating habits I hear no difference in receiver sensitivity. The FT-950 combined with the DMU-2000, Yaesu’s PCC-950, and or Ham Radio DeLuxe, makes a really neat, enjoyable shack setup.

W7NKR Rating: 4/5 Feb 26, 2010 05:42 Send this review to a friend
Good Starter Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I won't belabor adding comments on the radio, as I have one question that keeps popping up in many circles..if this radio is supposedly that "good", why are so many up for sale and not kept very long? Even many of the ops on here have already parted with theirs as I did.

I haven't heard good reports on the air (user feedback) on this radio....

Not just me, but look at the ads. Lots and lots of 950's sold after less than a year in use.

K4PDM Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2010 11:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Most of my better experiences with HF rigs have been from Kenwoods and ICOMs. I love the transmit audio of old Kenwoods I've had (TS-850, TS-940) and the ergonomics of old ICOMs (IC-751As, IC-735s.) The receivers on all those radios were great, too (especially the TS-850.)

But those old rigs have found their match. The FT-950 has great transmit audio--it's tough to make it sound bad and easy to make it sound exactly like you want it. I get compliments no matter if I use the hand mic or my Sennheiser, with the right adjustment of the parametric EQ and processor. Only my Kenwoods have sounded this good with so little effort.

Yaesu has a close-to-perfect compromise between large numbers of knobs and buttons, and menu adjustments. Sure, you must push a button before adjusting Shift after Width, but how hard is that? Power output control is in the menu, but that's no problem for me as I seldom adjust it, and when I need to, it's not hard to find. I very seldom need the book after 10 days of using the 950.

The receive on this radio is spectacular. I am amazed at how well it can bring a weak CW signal up out of the noise. Although QST did not show it to be top-of-the-line in dynamic range, there is more to a receiver than numbers! Narrow that passband down to 100-200Hz, turn on the audio peak filter, AGC on fast, IPO to where you just barely hear band noise, and then listen for that weak CW signal and see what you think.

So far the Contour control has not impressed me, but maybe I have not played with it enough. I do find the noise reduction helpful in SSB. I notice that some people criticize the internal speaker, but I didn't realize anyone used internal speakers in these radios. My external speaker sounds great. The tuner performs as advertised, matching up to a 3:1 SWR and with all the tuner memories, you'll seldom have to retune it unless you switch antennas.

Older radios have their good points. You would have to spend several thousand dollars to match the dynamic range numbers of the best of the early 1990's rigs...but how often do you need 140dB at 5kHz? If your answer is, "Quite often," then judging by the numbers, this is not the transceiver for you. However, if you want something with a fantastic display, great transmit and receive audio, the latest DSP technology to pull the signals out, and with upgradeable firmware, $1300 will get it. That's $200 less than I gave for an IC-751A about twenty years ago!

I must admit to only owning this radio for about 10 days. Sometimes a "quirk" shows up weeks or months after buying a rig and totally changes the owner's mind about it. If that happens with the 950, I guess I'll have to write another, less shining review. For now, I'm not hesitating to give it a "5."

KV4AN Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2009 04:38 Send this review to a friend
PLENTY OF CONTROLS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
XYL got me an FT-950 for Christmas and it is a very nice rig. Plenty of knobs, buttons, and menus to keep even the most hard-core ham happy. I love to fiddle with the controls while I operate and this radio has them with excellent visual feedback on the display so you don't feel like you are in a sensory deprivation chamber.

The receive filters are SUPERB and the filters work on digital modes perfectly. I run packet on 30 meter APRS and I no longer hear the nearby Pactor robots (set menu 055 to 1700 for KAM 300 baud and use 500 Hz filter).

The only thing I don't like is the Digital Noise Reduction. It works fine on SSB, but attenuates a CW signal if you turn it up much past 4. I thought there was something wrong with the audio amplifier because I had the volume almost all the way up and was having trouble hearing the CW station. Keep the DNR down and the radio works fine on CW. The CW zero-beat meters is a wonderful visual aid. It's hard to tell from the manual, but you don't need the optional DVS-6 to use the CW contest keyer memories.

Here are my equalizer settings: 091:300 092:-4 093:3 094:1000 095:3 096:3 097:2700 098:8 099:3 (same for PE menus) 064:3-27 for stair-step general purpose communications quality audio as shown on the PCC-950 software equalizer graph.

Bottom line is a very nice good quality radio that lets you sample everything HF/6 has to offer and a great digital modes radio.