Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Yaesu FT-950 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-950
Yaesu FT-950 Reviews: 288 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1840
Description: The Yaesu FT-950 is an HF/6m transceiver which features IF DSP as well as 3 kHz, 6 kHz and 15 kHz roofing filters. The transceiver can be interfaced with the DMU-2000 to add additional functions such Band Scope, Audio Scope, X-Y Oscilloscope, World Clock, Rotator Control, and extensive transceiver status displays, in addition to station logging capability. The optional RF µTuning Kits may be connected via the rear panel, providing improved selectivity to protect the receiver from close-in interference on a crowded band.
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0950.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-950.

K0CWO Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2010 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Compared to my aging Icom 756ProII I like this radio. When I first bought this radio I missed the scope function of the ProII. I decided to get the DMU-2000 to overcome that short coming. See my DMU-2000 review here: http://www.eham.net/reviews/review/85450

Having used the FT-950 for four months, there are two minor features in the 756ProII that I have found I like better. 1) I wish the FT-950 would have the 3.6 KHz receive bandwidth capability that the 756ProII has, and 2) I find the slowest AGC setting on the ProII more pleasant to listen to than the slowest setting on the FT-950. This shortcoming can be overcome by RF Gain adjustment. I wonder if Yaesu can change these parameters in upcoming software changes?

If I did not have the 756ProII and I only used the FT-950 I probably would not find these two differences an issue. For my operating habits I hear no difference in receiver sensitivity. The FT-950 combined with the DMU-2000, Yaesu’s PCC-950, and or Ham Radio DeLuxe, makes a really neat, enjoyable shack setup.

NW9R Rating: 4/5 Feb 26, 2010 05:42 Send this review to a friend
Good Starter Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I won't belabor adding comments on the radio, as I have one question that keeps popping up in many circles..if this radio is supposedly that "good", why are so many up for sale and not kept very long? Even many of the ops on here have already parted with theirs as I did.

I haven't heard good reports on the air (user feedback) on this radio....

Not just me, but look at the ads. Lots and lots of 950's sold after less than a year in use.

K4PDM Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2010 11:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Most of my better experiences with HF rigs have been from Kenwoods and ICOMs. I love the transmit audio of old Kenwoods I've had (TS-850, TS-940) and the ergonomics of old ICOMs (IC-751As, IC-735s.) The receivers on all those radios were great, too (especially the TS-850.)

But those old rigs have found their match. The FT-950 has great transmit audio--it's tough to make it sound bad and easy to make it sound exactly like you want it. I get compliments no matter if I use the hand mic or my Sennheiser, with the right adjustment of the parametric EQ and processor. Only my Kenwoods have sounded this good with so little effort.

Yaesu has a close-to-perfect compromise between large numbers of knobs and buttons, and menu adjustments. Sure, you must push a button before adjusting Shift after Width, but how hard is that? Power output control is in the menu, but that's no problem for me as I seldom adjust it, and when I need to, it's not hard to find. I very seldom need the book after 10 days of using the 950.

The receive on this radio is spectacular. I am amazed at how well it can bring a weak CW signal up out of the noise. Although QST did not show it to be top-of-the-line in dynamic range, there is more to a receiver than numbers! Narrow that passband down to 100-200Hz, turn on the audio peak filter, AGC on fast, IPO to where you just barely hear band noise, and then listen for that weak CW signal and see what you think.

So far the Contour control has not impressed me, but maybe I have not played with it enough. I do find the noise reduction helpful in SSB. I notice that some people criticize the internal speaker, but I didn't realize anyone used internal speakers in these radios. My external speaker sounds great. The tuner performs as advertised, matching up to a 3:1 SWR and with all the tuner memories, you'll seldom have to retune it unless you switch antennas.

Older radios have their good points. You would have to spend several thousand dollars to match the dynamic range numbers of the best of the early 1990's rigs...but how often do you need 140dB at 5kHz? If your answer is, "Quite often," then judging by the numbers, this is not the transceiver for you. However, if you want something with a fantastic display, great transmit and receive audio, the latest DSP technology to pull the signals out, and with upgradeable firmware, $1300 will get it. That's $200 less than I gave for an IC-751A about twenty years ago!

I must admit to only owning this radio for about 10 days. Sometimes a "quirk" shows up weeks or months after buying a rig and totally changes the owner's mind about it. If that happens with the 950, I guess I'll have to write another, less shining review. For now, I'm not hesitating to give it a "5."

KV4AN Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2009 04:38 Send this review to a friend
PLENTY OF CONTROLS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
XYL got me an FT-950 for Christmas and it is a very nice rig. Plenty of knobs, buttons, and menus to keep even the most hard-core ham happy. I love to fiddle with the controls while I operate and this radio has them with excellent visual feedback on the display so you don't feel like you are in a sensory deprivation chamber.

The receive filters are SUPERB and the filters work on digital modes perfectly. I run packet on 30 meter APRS and I no longer hear the nearby Pactor robots (set menu 055 to 1700 for KAM 300 baud and use 500 Hz filter).

The only thing I don't like is the Digital Noise Reduction. It works fine on SSB, but attenuates a CW signal if you turn it up much past 4. I thought there was something wrong with the audio amplifier because I had the volume almost all the way up and was having trouble hearing the CW station. Keep the DNR down and the radio works fine on CW. The CW zero-beat meters is a wonderful visual aid. It's hard to tell from the manual, but you don't need the optional DVS-6 to use the CW contest keyer memories.

Here are my equalizer settings: 091:300 092:-4 093:3 094:1000 095:3 096:3 097:2700 098:8 099:3 (same for PE menus) 064:3-27 for stair-step general purpose communications quality audio as shown on the PCC-950 software equalizer graph.

Bottom line is a very nice good quality radio that lets you sample everything HF/6 has to offer and a great digital modes radio.

K9ROD Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2009 19:02 Send this review to a friend
What a Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I first saw this radio at HRO Denver. I knew that I had to hae one as soon as I saw it. I have really enjoyed all the features (and there are many) this radio has to offer. I'm looking forward to some software projects with the DMU-2000 that goes with it. So far the only things I don't like are limited use of the keyboard with the DMU-2000 unit and the Automatic Antenna Tunner. The ATU needs to be retunned all the time. Even on the same band. But these are small thing compared to all it has to offer.

G0KYX Rating: 4/5 Dec 18, 2009 15:28 Send this review to a friend
Early Days  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Early days yet, but initially I am very impressed with the rig, and as I get used to using it, I'm sure I will be even more impressed. However, I find the in-build atu very limiting. In a retirement complex, I'm limited in my choice of antenna and have a Sandpiper MV6+3. At resonance on 80 and 40 it is impossible to use the whole band without an external atu. This surprised me, as the auto atu on my old TS 450SAT would "tune" for the whole band in each case. Not an insurmountable problem, but a disappointment. More comments later!! de G0KYX

N1TX Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2009 13:33 Send this review to a friend
Best value and better after PEP updates  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an update to my original post from 12/24/2007. I bought the FT950 two years ago to replace another high-end (but middle-age) Yaesu rig, and I've never looked back. Budget and performance both factored heavily into my decision, and I confess to have been on the fence for several weeks while I considered other top performers in the $2000-2500 range. I am not normally one to run out and purchase the "latest and greatest" of anything, preferring to see how things pan out in the market. I've had enough pain as a beta-tester. In this case, though, I just had to try the FT-950.

Two years later, the rig has been through the wringer and reliably provided 13,000+ contacts in CW, SSB, and RTTY contests. You can see I have some basis for highly recommending this moderately-priced rig.

The DSP-heavy rig required some learning curve, since its analog cousins are much more forgiving of mis-adjustment and sloppy operation. Powerful IF filtering and signal enhancement combinations are a true blessing, but you have to know under what conditions they perform best. Once I gained a couple of months experience with the FT-950, I became quite comfortable making it do what I wanted it to do every time.

I purchased the DMU-2000 at the same time, which is a very nice, if expensive, accessory. Besides the obvious bandscope and audio scope niceties, the DMU provides explicit, in-depth information about the radio settings, and it makes menu navigation a snap.

Along came some software updates from Yaesu about a year ago, which seemed to make the audio somewhat more harsh, and I think the update was a step backward in noise reduction. However, the latest PEP updates have greatly improved things. The display functionality has become more human-friendly, too. I am extremely happy to see Yaesu supporting the rig with sensible upgrades.

I'm now shopping for a second FT-950 to use in the KL2R contest shack. That's how much confidence I have in it.

OE4VIE Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2009 03:57 Send this review to a friend
Unbeatable for price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Unbeatable for price Time owned: more than 12 months
I am using this rig more than 12 months now. Still works perfectly, and has been improved or updated with firmware updates when available. The receiver sensitivity and audio quality is outstanding.
CW functions are great. Also I use this rig together with an 2m transverter and they performed very well, it is nice to use the FT-950 functions on 2m too.....great stuff!
This rig has to be one of the best buys for the money.

KT0DD Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2009 11:36 Send this review to a friend
Surprised me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sold a Ten Tec Orion II due to financial hardship and was looking for a bang-for-the-buck rig to replace it. I listened to the 950 at HRO in Denver and the receive audio caught my attention. It sounded alot like the old Kenwood audio which I like. So I decided to try one.

While this is NOT an Orion II class rig, I was mildly surprised at how many features & flexibility the FT950 offers. You can adjust everything from DC to daylight, and it has a TX equalizer that puts the OII TX tone control to shame. I was probably wasting a great CW rig with the Orion as I dont do CW. I think the FT950 will be in this house a long time as it meets all my basic needs. 73

OE4VIE Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2009 10:42 Send this review to a friend
Unbeatable for price  Time owned: more than 12 months
This rig has to be one of the best buys for the money.