Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-950 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-950
Yaesu FT-950 Reviews: 296 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1840
Description: The Yaesu FT-950 is an HF/6m transceiver which features IF DSP as well as 3 kHz, 6 kHz and 15 kHz roofing filters. The transceiver can be interfaced with the DMU-2000 to add additional functions such Band Scope, Audio Scope, X-Y Oscilloscope, World Clock, Rotator Control, and extensive transceiver status displays, in addition to station logging capability. The optional RF µTuning Kits may be connected via the rear panel, providing improved selectivity to protect the receiver from close-in interference on a crowded band.
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0950.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-950.

KE4EX Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2010 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Appliance operatiors  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this little guy running for months now.
I do this all computer operated. Turn it on, off, change everything including menus.
Run phone as well, an LP-pan and emu and your running the rig on SDR programs.

I run c/w, PSK, RTTY, SSTV; mostly digital.
It is NOT a top end rig but a great performer,

And that's my feedback...

KC6PGA Rating: 0/5 Jul 10, 2010 17:53 Send this review to a friend
cheese ball rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a cw ragchewer and didn't even try the rig on SSB. I got this rig to replace my Alinco DX77t and have come to the conclusion that this is not the rig for me. If you want QSK, or you are running an older amp this rig is garbage. The keying for the amp can only work by sinking up to +60VDC to ground, regardless of voltage- negative keying or ac will not work and you have to buy the bastard 10 pin din plug. The qsk gives the usual loud relay sound, plus the receiver makes plenty of noise when it cuts back in. The DSP and interference reducing features are cute, but I can't find a single reason to keep this rig. If there is one thing Yeasu could do to improve the FT950- it could use a giant greasy orange cheeseball in place of the main tuning knob.

KP2BH Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2010 19:11 Send this review to a friend
my second ft-950  Time owned: months
A couple of weeks ago i wrote about my experience with my first ft-950.again and again i prove that AES in orlando was wrong all the way including the technician.i got a second radio from other store and this one is working like a champ.receiver its very nice and the audio quality superb.

W7OXB Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2010 18:30 Send this review to a friend
2 Years Later  Time owned: more than 12 months
This rig is great. Just worked 5 Italy stations,an E7,a dozen East Coast and a bunch of 7's all with a dipole at 25'. The updates that Yaesu keeps providing makes this one of the best values for the money. And yes the menus do take a bit of learning, but once you have them down it is a piece of cake and you can play with the big boys...........

SCOLOPENDRA Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2010 06:43 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own this radio about a year now, I'm very pleased with that buy.
The new firmware update v.11.54 solved the FM mode TX to RX frequency misalignment (about 667 Hz apart) that was one of the very latest (minor) issues left.
Don't know if there's room for the DNR upgrade, sometime I feel it desirable.
I'm dreaming it will be possible to have the selectable AGC Hold time and the Soft/Sharp and Slope menu in the same fashion like the more comfortable&complete and much better built big brother FT-2000.
The FT-950 is a very flexible, nice all-around performer as is, but let us dream about further improvements anyway.
'73

KC4GFW Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2010 06:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for the price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had my FT-950 for almost a year and find it a excellent radio. I use it for DXing and Contesting and works very well. It is easy to use and there is no use to go into the menu every time you operate the radio. The only thing that I would change is the way the internal speaker sounds. But that can be fixed by adding a external speaker or using headphones.
And another gripe is everyone comparing a $1200 radio to a $3000 or $4000 radio witch it is not. The factory assembled K3/100 with the internal ATU, CW, SSB and AM filters is more then $3000 and the Icom 7600 is $4000.
Let's be realistic the only radios that have not been discontinued that we can compare this to is the Icom 7000 or 7200 and the Kenwood TS-480 or TS-2000.
I sure would like to see the data on this radio from Sherwood Engineering.

N9UQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2010 20:11 Send this review to a friend
STABLE & EASY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I GOT THE FT 950 AS AN UPGRADE AND COMPLIMENT TO THE FT 897 I HAVE. FT 950 HAS EASY ACCESS TO CONTOURE, NOTCH, WIDTH AND SHIFT WHICH MAKES IT VERY EASY TO LISTEN TO STATIONS DEEP IN THE NOISE. INTERNAL AUTO TUNE IS SIMPLE TO USE...ONE PUSH ACTIVATES ... AND WILL TUNE ANTENNA NOT CUT JUST RIGHT... THE UNIT WILL PROTECT IT SELF. WARNING INDICATOR OF HIGH SWR KEEPS YOU INFORMED. SMOOTH CONTROLS AND INTERACTS WITH HAM RADIO DELUX 100%, YOU JUST NEED A DB9 GENDER CHANGER AND A SERIAL TO USB CONNECTOR ADAPTOR. IF YOUR NOT A INTO PCS IT WILL TAKE TIME TO LEARN TO CONNECT FT 950 TO YOUR PC.. RF OUTPUT ROCK SOLID AND MANUAL AUDIO GAIN MAKE IT EASY TO AJUST AUDIO OUT ON THE FLY. IF YOU HAVE 2 ANTENNAS OUTSIDE CUT FOR DIFFERENT RECEIVE & TRANCEIVER OR TRANSCEIVE OPERATIONS THERE IS 2 ANTENNAS CONNECTORTS AT REAR OF THE RADIO AND ONE PUSH OF A FUNCTION...IT MAKES IT VERY EASY TO SWITCH WHEN YOU NEED TO ACTIVATE THAT ANTENNA FOR THAT BAND. THIS IS A VERY SWEET TRANSCEIVER....N9UQ

KB9MRK Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2010 12:46 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic all around Rig!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been a Ham for over 15 years and have seen and owned alot of radios. For the Money I must say the Yaesu FT-950 is the best rig out there. The receive is exceptional and I would compare it to rigs that cost 3 times this radio. As far as the transmit, once you set it up through the menu, adjusting the tone, punch, etc. to your liking its just awesome!!! I have been told by many people the radio sounds great and has almost an F.M sound quality to it. Do remember this takes adjusting in the menu settings for transmit, but its really no big deal to get it set right. Dollar for dollar this is the best rig I have ever owned, and I plan on keeping this one!!!! 7'3s.....

K0CWO Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2010 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Compared to my aging Icom 756ProII I like this radio. When I first bought this radio I missed the scope function of the ProII. I decided to get the DMU-2000 to overcome that short coming. See my DMU-2000 review here: http://www.eham.net/reviews/review/85450

Having used the FT-950 for four months, there are two minor features in the 756ProII that I have found I like better. 1) I wish the FT-950 would have the 3.6 KHz receive bandwidth capability that the 756ProII has, and 2) I find the slowest AGC setting on the ProII more pleasant to listen to than the slowest setting on the FT-950. This shortcoming can be overcome by RF Gain adjustment. I wonder if Yaesu can change these parameters in upcoming software changes?

If I did not have the 756ProII and I only used the FT-950 I probably would not find these two differences an issue. For my operating habits I hear no difference in receiver sensitivity. The FT-950 combined with the DMU-2000, Yaesu’s PCC-950, and or Ham Radio DeLuxe, makes a really neat, enjoyable shack setup.

W9BKR Rating: 4/5 Feb 26, 2010 05:42 Send this review to a friend
Good Starter Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I won't belabor adding comments on the radio, as I have one question that keeps popping up in many circles..if this radio is supposedly that "good", why are so many up for sale and not kept very long? Even many of the ops on here have already parted with theirs as I did.

I haven't heard good reports on the air (user feedback) on this radio....

Not just me, but look at the ads. Lots and lots of 950's sold after less than a year in use.