Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-7200 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7200
ICOM IC-7200 Reviews: 214 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1099.95
Description: Compact DSP IF HF/50 MHz transceiver.
First shown at Tokyo hamfair August 2007
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7200/index.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7200.

KJ4HRH Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2016 00:06 Send this review to a friend
Very Happy  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my first radio. Got it for a great price just before it went permanently out of stock. Operated it for about a year. Exactly what I wanted--small, light, affordable, and good performance. More features than I would ever need but not too complicated for a beginner like me. I chose carefully, and I believe the radio has fully vindicated my decision.

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2016 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Super rig !!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Acquired this rig at xmas 2015 (about 7-months ago). I, only operate digital & CW modes. The built-in filters are great. Sometimes even operate SSB (2%).

The only negative item is the small display-screen, BUT I can even get use to that.

With the low price & performance, overall, I rate this radio 5++++

W0NWT Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2016 08:00 Send this review to a friend
Great and easy to operate  Time owned: more than 12 months
The display is a bit too small. But, it has a better receiver than my Kenwood TS-2000. It will hear signals the Kenwood can't. But the lack of a built in auto tuner is a negative. You can always get an external auto tuner but that means more money. I use it mainly as a second radio for contesting on 6M.

PY1WDS Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2016 07:36 Send this review to a friend
THIS IS MY 3RD. ICOM 7200  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
AS EVER EASY TO BE OPERATE, AND VY GREAT RECEPTION.
ALL YOU NEED WITH AFORDABLE PRICE.
73, PY1WDS.

K2VI Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2016 15:52 Send this review to a friend
A TANK OF A RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great filters , NR , selectivity for 99% of the ham population. It is built to mil spec and will take a beating. I feel this rig was built to outlive the operator. The only thing i can find to complain is the small display but the radio is built to be in a war. What a fine piece of radio gear. GOOD JOB ON THIS ONE ICOM.

KJ4CMA Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2016 17:47 Send this review to a friend
A solid, well made product.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used this rig in a single transceiver setup so I never conducted any one on one tests and I can't tell you that it hears better than X or had people tell me it sounds better than Y but I can tell you that it stands on its own as a good radio. I can also tell you that I have made plenty of contacts with it.

Of course, the highlight of this radio is its ruggedness. A bit much for how I used it to be honest; it has a nice, solid feel to it that almost makes much pricier transceivers feel "cheap". The buttons require firm, positive presses. The tuning knob is very solid. It feels more like a piece of industrial test gear. It's also fairly hefty - The fact that the the bulk of the radio's mass is also the heat sink means that digital ragchews are of no consequence and overheating is not a concern. Fans are extremely quiet.

Front panel controls are fairly intuitive. The menus aren't too deep and aren't that bad for a menu based radio. Filtering works well and is very easily adjusted. Probably not the best radio for serious CW use, but I learned code while I owned this rig (even used it for a practice oscillator) and used it to make my first contacts so I can't complain. Built in USB was a big plus especially for me as a primarily digital user.

I really don't have anything "negative" to say about this radio, mine worked flawlessly and did everything I asked of it. I do think that some of its ruggedness is a bit wasted - it is rather large and not well suited to portability (how rugged does it need to be to sit on a desk?) Adding VHF, an internal ATU, or even an internal battery while keeping the same form factor would be the icing on the cake - but as it stands you could probably pack an IC-706 or FT-857 into a waterproof case and have more functionality in a package roughly the same size and weight. I could, however see this radio shining in a few situations where ruggedness is important but size doesn't matter as much, such as long term camping (hunting camp, trailer camping etc) or on a boat. I could see the lack of FM capability being somewhat of a turn-off for some.

Ultimately I moved on from it not because of anything wrong with it, rather it was just time to try something different! I give it a solid 5 because in my opinion it is a good, well made product.

PA3GQD Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2016 15:33 Send this review to a friend
good radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It gets the five points from rounding. It is somewhere around the 4.75 in my opinion.

Filtering is excellent, especially given the price point at which the radio sold

I like the 'tactical radio look' and don't have the slightest problem with the small display. it perfectly fits this look and gives all info one needs. I like this style of radio and I'm afraid all radio's will have a smartphone glued to their fronts in a short while. Look at the life cycle of smart phones to see what problem I have with that....

I like the fact it just has enough buttons to work the radio without learning a myriade of menu's from the top of ones head. In other words it is easy to operate. Can figure out the radio in a quarter of an hour

CAT is next to perfect. Other radio's I had (and have) cannot f.i. be tuned by dragging the pointer in HRD without clicking and shutting off between frequency steps; the 7200 does it very smooth. Needless to say the USB connection for audio as well as control is wonderfull, no less.

Receive is quiet but audio on CW is... well... not hifi. I even value the FT 897 higher in this respect (with narrow filters) because the 7200 has DSP clicks, pops and warbles at bandwidths in the middle range. Wide open they're not there, very narrow they're not there. They apear at the most usable bandwidths (hundreds of Hz). RF control and -if needed- ATT makes the radio very livable

I miss a spot tone or visual tune indicator in CW. This is a trivial shortcoming but a nuisance all the same. When connected to a computer I use the audio waterfall to see where I am. Otherwise its pure guesswork and it is practically impossible to get a spot tone from the radio.

The SWR meter doesn't work as practical as on some radio's. The SWR meter on the 7200 seems to give a reading at the lower SWRs only, making it difficult to find the dip when hand tuning sometimes

Apart from these drawbacks it is a fantastic radio and I am sorry it is discontinued. It buit a reputation for being a good radio and being very reliable and economic at the same time. I feel the 7300 is not going to replace the 7200. It just isn't the simple, basic workhorse the 7200 is.

K7DXT Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2016 21:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Filtering...Versatile, Competant, & Compact  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The 7200 has just been discontinued after a fairly lengthy production run, so I just got the radio as they were being clearanced.

Normally, I would have waited longer than a week or two to write a review, but I think first impressions are helpful. After using a rig for a while, it's easier to overlook the initial things that either impressed or disappointed.

What has impressed me most is the way I can manipulate the filtering options to cut out both QRN and QRM. Compared to my other rig, the 718, the difference is night and day. Even with the FL-52a in the 718, this 7200 has it beat all over the place.

Also impressive is the compact design of the rig. My shack is not spacious, so I am conscious of how things fit within it. The built in modem is great too.

The frustrating aspects so far...inconvenient band switching, small speaker, and two levels of menus.

For band switching, I wish it had simple 'Up & Down' buttons to go to the next band. But you have to first push the "Band" button, then select the right band on the keypad. In other words, its a two stage operation. I got around this by putting in memory several frequencies on each band, and then simply twist the memory knob and there you go. Not overly difficult, but still, I'd have preferred a simpler approach.

The speaker...it's small because the radio is small. One can't expect Hi-Fi from such. Unless you're in the field, it needs an auxilary speaker. When I used an old RCA Pro X33AV speaker, the improvement was remarkable. Speakers matter...experiment with different ones if possible to get the sound you like.

The menus...not bad, but coming from no menus at one time, they can be frustrating. Basically, if you want your radio to have lots of options, you're going to have lots of menu choices. The first level menu has the importance stuff, and it's pretty easy to find.

Antenna tuner...it needs one. Get a LDG IT-100 or AH4. I can't imagine going back to a manual tuner if you like to change bands a lot.

I like the radio, and evidently so do hundreds of others. I was reluctant to add one more review, but then, I am attracted to radios that have hundreds of highly recommended reviews. It's what makes the review process more valuable. A radio with 20 ratings of 4.8 is interesting, but one with 200, 300, or 400 reviews of 4.8 is downright impressive if not convincing.

Matt at the Michigan Icom Service center says the 7200 has been a very reliable radio. If your budget isn't huge, you won't find many other radios in this price point that have such advanced filtering capabilities.

HL1ZIX Rating: 4/5 Apr 1, 2016 21:14 Send this review to a friend
Nice radio, but not as impressive as expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Please don't think I'm being too negative with this radio -- just offering some personal feelings, as a new ham who is still learning.

I bought this radio used, and I now realize that I have been spoiled by my first radio (Yaesu FT950). The 7200 is really in a different class, and I bought it as a portable/workplace radio, anyway. It has the feel of a sturdy portable radio -- at least on the outside.

What I mostly don't like about it is the sound of the receive -- be it through headphones or the front speaker. Although it receives fine, I am not impressed with the sound. Kind of disappointed, actually. The FT950 sounds like a fine stereo, while the Icom 7200 sounds like a cheaper 1980's boombox, by comparison. This is noticeable through headphones, too -- I expected headphones would help, but not much.

The menus are really easy to figure out, and pretty good, for a small radio. Very well-done there. I like the menus. Good job, Icom.

I will say that, if you are considering a 1st radio, I don't think this is the best one. As a first radio, I would buy one with an antenna tuner, or internal tuner. The reason is because I blew out the finals while trying to tune with my MFJ external manual tuner on this Icom 7200. With the Yaesu, I get a carrier to tune by, just by pressing the PTT button on the mic. The Icom doesn't do that. I was tuning in another mode, and apparently got confused when the RF power went back up switching between the modes, and I blew out the finals, tuning on a longwire with radial.

The Icom does not seem to have the ability for me to listen to my own voice as I transmit. I really like having that. Also, the SWR meter is just too short. Only a few little dots. This also contributed toward me blowing the finals, while attempting to tune on a longwire antenna. A newbie mistake, but an easy one for a new ham to make.

Currently having it repaired, one week after buying it. My fault for blowing the finals, but again -- I think a radio with a tuner is a better choice for a newer operator.

KB8BLZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2016 00:01 Send this review to a friend
A really great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have nothing bad to say about this radio. I was a little worried about a front firing speaker but this one sounds really good to me. The smaller display still is easy to see and I doubt even people with sight issues would have too much trouble seeing it. The sensitivity of the receiver is quite good and I enjoy listening to shortwave on it. Always get good signal reports and I am using the stock mic that so many have said has issues. I consider this a mid grade radio and in reality, it has everything I need for what I do in amateur radio. I doubt I will upgrade from this one unless it gets hit by an asteroid or something. Then maybe a 7300. ;)