Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-7200 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7200
ICOM IC-7200 Reviews: 185 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1099.95
Description: Compact DSP IF HF/50 MHz transceiver.
First shown at Tokyo hamfair August 2007
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7200/index.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7200.

DL4MG Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2015 01:30 Send this review to a friend
Robust , simple, well ... secret tip  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Easy to use , great RX, good TX ( with SM - 30 ), via USB cable Digimodes, robust PA ... what more could you want.

N6SBN Rating: 4/5 Aug 16, 2015 13:09 Send this review to a friend
A Simple, practical transciever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a large Shack Radio and it's a delight to use. But, to take it mountain topping or on field day. Nope. I needed a small rugged travel radio. I chose the 7200 based on build and price. My 7200 sits in a Pelikan box with a battery and Buddipole nearby. It takes 4 minutes to load into the truck.

The Icom 7200 reminds me of my Marine SSB radios. They all have a commercial feel, water resistant build, and large handles. Most have simplified controls. The 7200 is similar.

I'm grateful for the simplified controls because if you don't use a radio every day, you tend to forget. This is less likely with the 7200. I don't want to be on a mountain top using a flash light to read through 68 pages of instructions.

As far as the performance. The USB and sound card works well for Computer interfacing. The radio has been around for awhile so most of the Digital Soundcard programs (FLDIGI, WSJTX) recognize the 7200.

I've run the radio hard for 5 hours and it gets warm.. But never super hot. With the ALC low, I'm getting good signal reports.

The receiver is good for most operations. A K3 it's not. But for practical use, it's better than average. I have the 7100 in my truck. The receiver is similar. The 7100 has all the bells and whistles, The 7200 doesn't.

Even so, on the 7200, you learn to skillfully make the most of the controls.

I needed a simple, rugged, economical transceiver and I'm quite pleased with the 7200. As mentioned, I am glad not to have all the bells and whistles when operating on the mountain top.

AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2015 11:17 Send this review to a friend
Good afordable radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Although I don't own an IC-7200 I have had the chance to test one for one week, its from a friend of mine who left it at home for me to check it up in all bands, modes, features, etc and then teach him how to use it because he is a new ham with no experience.
At simple sight it look ugly and simple like not a professional radio but how far from my first impression I was when I powered it up and tune all bands, I said WOW I was wrong,the RX is very quite, sensitive and selective, with the previous experience of owning several modern Icom radios, I did not need to read the manual, it was easy to figure out how all the knobs are set up.For the price you pay that is less than 800 bucks this is a great investment, only thing missing in this great radio is the monitor so if you like to hear yourself when you TX, then this is not your choice but If you don't care about it, go for it, you won't be disapointed.
Radio feels light but it has an excellent performance comparable with my backup IC-7000.
Even having just one roofing filter of 6Khz, the dynamic range is pretty decent, using the DSP filtering plus the dual PBT I have been able to delete strong stations at just 3 Khz from my operating freq.
The two fans keep the chassis little warm even using it with 100W on CW for long time.
Once again Icom designed and built a good small afordable radio.

N9VMO Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2015 06:41 Send this review to a friend
Looks can be deceiving  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
When I initially started looking for a replacement for my IC-706, I kept passing the 7200 over because I just didn't like the looks. All the pictures I saw had the handles on it which makes it look cheap. I also don't like amber displays as they are too harsh on my eyes.

Then I started pricing radios and looked at the 7200 in a whole different light. It had everything that I was looking for...USB for rig control/digital operations, MARS modifications available (I'm currently the AFMARS SMD for Indiana), not a lot of bells and whistles that I will never use, DSP, ergonomics, the list goes on and on. And with a price tag $500 less than the nearest competitor, well the decision was a no- brainer.

Never had an issue with the hand mic as I am usually working digital modes and when I do work voice, I have an ES-57 studio mic on a boom.

Digital modes are a breeze with the USB connection and rig control is excellent with the last free version of Ham Radio Deluxe.

Those are all the pros, now for the cons.

Still don't like the amber display. If someone would come out with a blue or green display, I would get it in a heartbeat.

The fan noise is quite annoying but I guess I can live with it as it lets me know when I am transmitting when I'm working digital (I usually keep the volume down in the digital modes).

Got the rig from GigaParts and paid the extra $$$ for the MARS mod.

All in all, if I were to get another HF radio, it would be another 7200.

IZ3ZLE Rating: 4/5 Jul 23, 2015 10:17 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good transceiver, good quality, DSP ok, military appearance, robust, easy to use and silent. For less than 1000 euro is a good deal. To use with the microphone SM 30 and a good antenna system.
It gave me a lot of satisfaction.

W0VET Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2015 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Keeps on tickin'  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my 2nd review. Why? Because like the old Timex watch the thing keeps on tickin' after taking a lickin' and it does exactly need it to do. It is rock solid and dependable in home and in the field.

AE5JU Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2015 04:53 Send this review to a friend
Easy to operate  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have experience with three IC-7200s. One is in my portable Field Day/Special Event/Portable kit. I own another 7200 which I have placed in our club station, and the club owns the third IC-7200. It was purchased after club members and a visiting club which shared Field Day with us operated my two IC-7200s. EVERYONE likes operating these radios. Features and performance - I have found nothing to dislike.

G3ZPS Rating: 4/5 May 8, 2015 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Nice radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought secondhand for travelling. Looks, build and ergonomics appealed to me. Didn't want a shiney base station or a shack in a box with compromises. The only thing I did was modify the chinese hand mic, audio reports are now fine with mic gain low and processor 5 or 6. Only marked down because of the IF DSP problems with impulse noise and clicks hitting the AGC. This is well known and Sherwood have published a paper on why it occurs. Its a slightly older radio now so prob best bought used or on a deal. Steve

VK3HXT Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2015 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Loved by those who own it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio is probably the best kept secret & best deal in the hobby.

Why? Its not marketed well. It looks like a survivalist or military buffs radio, but the fact of the matter is it is so much more.

Simply put, you get a heck of a lot of radio for your money, here's why:

1) Ergonomics. EVERY important feature has a knob. RIT/Clarifier, VFO, IF Shift / Passband, Volume, SQL & RF Gain, Manual Notch Filter. Some are shared, but not with anything important. So many times I never touched the filtering on the IC-7000 because of the need to 'dig about in menus', with the IC-7200, one just twiddles the PBT knobs as that rare DX drifts about with QSB.

2) Standard Features. 6KHz Roofing Filter, TXCO, Voice Announce, IF DSP for filtering, noise reduction & speech compression etc.

3) DSP THAT WORKS. I love the DSP in this radio - it actually makes things better, not just 'different' like the AF based DSP in my FT-857D. The noise reduction reduces noise more than it causes a loss in intelligibility. The DSP Filters, which are adjustable via presets and on the fly via the PBT knobs, work amazingly well. Unlike other DSP implementations, with the IC-7200 if there is something in the passband you don't like, you just twist a knob. No buttons, no menus, just two knobs at your service to fight that QRM. The manual notch filter can also be effectively used to 'taylor' the passband; sometimes I find certain frequencies in a persons voice detract from the message - a simple twist of the manual notch filter knob and more than often I can 'eq' their voice to my liking.

4) Built Commercial / Military tough. The thing has gasket seals to make it water resistant!

5) Built in USB WITH AUDIO for super easy pc connection. Before this radio I had never used digital modes, two days after plugging the usb cable in, I had 50+ DX PSK31 contacts (One was even to germany running 500mw. On a 1/4 wave vertical no less!). Its Just Easy. 1 Cable, no little boxes.

6) Ergonomics. I can't stress this point enough. All important functions have a knob! There is no point having DSP etc if you have to dig through a menu to chance something. Who goes digging while trying to work rare dx?! KNOBS ARE KING.

7) Its cheap. Its cheap without all of the above. Given that it has the above, its a damn bargain.

Why I Bought It:
I'd seen this radio around for a while, but like most people new to the hobby I imagine I felt I had no need for a 'military' radio and was seduced by all the features of radios like the IC-7000, 7100 etc.

However, after using a few of the popular 'DC to Daylight' portable radios (IC-7000, FT-857D), I quickly realized the value in having a desktop sized radio at home!

While I initially bought this radio for a remote station project (its rugged, its got usb, it will drive an icom AH-4 tuner, its cheap), I've fallen in love with its ergonomics and receiver performance to the point I'm going to have trouble ever parting with it!

Conclusion:
If you're a new ham, looking for a starter radio, buy this radio.

In fact, anyone with a budget of ~$1k looking for a radio to buy, should buy this radio.

Just have a look at some of the reviews here - how many other radios are out there where every second review mentions how they feel like they got more than their money's worth, or generally how surprised and impressed they are.

AC2FV Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2015 13:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Fantastic radio for the money, super simple to operate. I own a K3 that's tricked out, and when there's super tough DX that I'm trying to get, I use the K3. But, for everyday use, I grab the 7200 and get on the air. Excellent qualities, and have I mentioned super simple to operate? You can't beat this radio for the money. 5 stars.