Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-7200 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7200
ICOM IC-7200 Reviews: 181 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1099.95
Description: Compact DSP IF HF/50 MHz transceiver.
First shown at Tokyo hamfair August 2007
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7200/index.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7200.

IZ3ZLE Rating: 4/5 Jul 23, 2015 10:17 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good transceiver, good quality, DSP ok, military appearance, robust, easy to use and silent. For less than 1000 euro is a good deal. To use with the microphone SM 30 and a good antenna system.
It gave me a lot of satisfaction.

W0VET Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2015 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Keeps on tickin'  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my 2nd review. Why? Because like the old Timex watch the thing keeps on tickin' after taking a lickin' and it does exactly need it to do. It is rock solid and dependable in home and in the field.

AE5JU Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2015 04:53 Send this review to a friend
Easy to operate  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have experience with three IC-7200s. One is in my portable Field Day/Special Event/Portable kit. I own another 7200 which I have placed in our club station, and the club owns the third IC-7200. It was purchased after club members and a visiting club which shared Field Day with us operated my two IC-7200s. EVERYONE likes operating these radios. Features and performance - I have found nothing to dislike.

G3ZPS Rating: 4/5 May 8, 2015 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Nice radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought secondhand for travelling. Looks, build and ergonomics appealed to me. Didn't want a shiney base station or a shack in a box with compromises. The only thing I did was modify the chinese hand mic, audio reports are now fine with mic gain low and processor 5 or 6. Only marked down because of the IF DSP problems with impulse noise and clicks hitting the AGC. This is well known and Sherwood have published a paper on why it occurs. Its a slightly older radio now so prob best bought used or on a deal. Steve

VK3HXT Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2015 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Loved by those who own it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio is probably the best kept secret & best deal in the hobby.

Why? Its not marketed well. It looks like a survivalist or military buffs radio, but the fact of the matter is it is so much more.

Simply put, you get a heck of a lot of radio for your money, here's why:

1) Ergonomics. EVERY important feature has a knob. RIT/Clarifier, VFO, IF Shift / Passband, Volume, SQL & RF Gain, Manual Notch Filter. Some are shared, but not with anything important. So many times I never touched the filtering on the IC-7000 because of the need to 'dig about in menus', with the IC-7200, one just twiddles the PBT knobs as that rare DX drifts about with QSB.

2) Standard Features. 6KHz Roofing Filter, TXCO, Voice Announce, IF DSP for filtering, noise reduction & speech compression etc.

3) DSP THAT WORKS. I love the DSP in this radio - it actually makes things better, not just 'different' like the AF based DSP in my FT-857D. The noise reduction reduces noise more than it causes a loss in intelligibility. The DSP Filters, which are adjustable via presets and on the fly via the PBT knobs, work amazingly well. Unlike other DSP implementations, with the IC-7200 if there is something in the passband you don't like, you just twist a knob. No buttons, no menus, just two knobs at your service to fight that QRM. The manual notch filter can also be effectively used to 'taylor' the passband; sometimes I find certain frequencies in a persons voice detract from the message - a simple twist of the manual notch filter knob and more than often I can 'eq' their voice to my liking.

4) Built Commercial / Military tough. The thing has gasket seals to make it water resistant!

5) Built in USB WITH AUDIO for super easy pc connection. Before this radio I had never used digital modes, two days after plugging the usb cable in, I had 50+ DX PSK31 contacts (One was even to germany running 500mw. On a 1/4 wave vertical no less!). Its Just Easy. 1 Cable, no little boxes.

6) Ergonomics. I can't stress this point enough. All important functions have a knob! There is no point having DSP etc if you have to dig through a menu to chance something. Who goes digging while trying to work rare dx?! KNOBS ARE KING.

7) Its cheap. Its cheap without all of the above. Given that it has the above, its a damn bargain.

Why I Bought It:
I'd seen this radio around for a while, but like most people new to the hobby I imagine I felt I had no need for a 'military' radio and was seduced by all the features of radios like the IC-7000, 7100 etc.

However, after using a few of the popular 'DC to Daylight' portable radios (IC-7000, FT-857D), I quickly realized the value in having a desktop sized radio at home!

While I initially bought this radio for a remote station project (its rugged, its got usb, it will drive an icom AH-4 tuner, its cheap), I've fallen in love with its ergonomics and receiver performance to the point I'm going to have trouble ever parting with it!

Conclusion:
If you're a new ham, looking for a starter radio, buy this radio.

In fact, anyone with a budget of ~$1k looking for a radio to buy, should buy this radio.

Just have a look at some of the reviews here - how many other radios are out there where every second review mentions how they feel like they got more than their money's worth, or generally how surprised and impressed they are.

AC2FV Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2015 13:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Fantastic radio for the money, super simple to operate. I own a K3 that's tricked out, and when there's super tough DX that I'm trying to get, I use the K3. But, for everyday use, I grab the 7200 and get on the air. Excellent qualities, and have I mentioned super simple to operate? You can't beat this radio for the money. 5 stars.

TI2TL Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2015 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Best radio for the money.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I have done quite a few reviews on the radios that have been in my shack during my ham radio operation. My radios went from the Icom 735, 765, 756 Pro and Pro II, 781, 775,751 and others (memory doesn't always help), and other brands also as Yaesu FT-1000 or tentec Orion II (probably the best radio I have ever owned).

The Icom-7200 obviously doesn't classify as "The best radio of all time" that obvious, BUT in my modest opinion it DOES classify as the best radio for the money that I have ever had.
The radio performance is very good, the filters work like a charm, and the Twin PBT is just a feature I love of icoms.
I have made side to side comparison with the Icom-7800 (not mine of course), and even though it IS NOT a 7800 by any means, there was nothing I could hear with the 7800 that I couldn't hear on the 7200.
So is the 7200 good.... No IT'S JUST GREAT, at a price tag of less than $800 (with Icom rebate) there is nothing that can be classified as "bad" on this radio.
Yes it doesn't have the FM (never have used it once on my other HF).
One thing I do miss is the monitor function, but than again, they needed to take some functions out of the radio to justify the low cost (or the higher cost of the other Icom radios).
Looks are very nice the screen is small but very clear and the ergonomics of the radio are much better than the IC-706 or IC-7000 (both of wich I owned in the past).

Microphone problems as the ones stated all over the net where not much of a concern to me, I tested the original Mic and also an old HM-36 I had left from my old Icoms, and well the old mic sounded better but the new one was not all that bad.

Noise reduction and noise blanker work perfectly well eliminating most of the band noise, even though I found that a lower setting performs better than a too aggressive reduction.

Now the best part, the audio on receive. The radio is obviously a digital radio but it has an analogue sound. The internal speaker is superb, and even though I have the Icom SP-20 External that does sound better, the internal is one of the best sounding speakers I have tested on a radio.

So did I find any "bad" things about this radio? No there are none considering the price it has, you can't compare a $5000 radio to this one, that is obvious, but I can honestly tell you that this radio DOES NOT perform as a $800 entry level, it can compete with any mid level radio without shame.

My personal recommendation is if you are thinking about buying the 7200, think no more and get one, you wont regret it at all.

KE7MU Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2015 18:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my 2 review after using it in several configurations.
Data Ops - I use it a lot on PSK, the filters are great to reject signals driving the AGC adjacent to my signal. The configuration is easy and saved in a memory. Works great with MAC and Windows.
SSB - I Use the stock mic with no problems get great reports, I did increase the mic gain, but no need to mod the mic.

Works great with the 811H amp, plug and play. I was also impressed with the noise reduction and other filtering.

Of all my yeasu, kenwood and Icom radios I prefer the IC-7200

K1BOB Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2015 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Rock Solid Value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I do not buy amateur equipment without consulting this site. I have bought new and still operate an IC-746, IC-706MkIIG and IC-7000.
The IC-7200 is all I thought it would be and I agree with the majority of 5 ratings, I will just address the negative aspects, as I am very satisfied with this radio.
- Power button is just below the tune button, I have turned the radio off on ocassion when I intended to tune it. (just me?)
- Display is a bit small, no alphnumeric labels.
-No way to save multiple frequencies like other Icoms except by putting into presets or one freq in each VFO.
-USB digital interface is at the least unreliable and problematic. Bought a Signalink USB and all is good now.
- As mentioned stock mic is very "weak" got AB5N's mic up grade and all is well.
Note: Had radio "opened up" for MARS/ARES/CAP, Giga Parts does this with new radio and maintains factory warranty.
This is one rugged, well build radio with ICOM quality at well less than $1000.

W6ZKH Rating: 4/5 Feb 25, 2015 07:38 Send this review to a friend
Decent radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my 7200 for around 2 years now, and mainly use it on Digital or AM. Great receiver and filters for the price. Only problem which drives me nuts is the receiver suspebility (sp) to electrical noise pulses, like someone turning on a light switch, etc. This doesnt have to be in my house either, but a neighbor. I keep my squelch ON when monitoring AM, and any noise spike will trip the Squelch, which is irritating, otherwise this is a good basic radio and for the price you cant beat it, except for that one problem.