Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7200 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7200
ICOM IC-7200 Reviews: 224 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1099.95
Description: Compact DSP IF HF/50 MHz transceiver.
First shown at Tokyo hamfair August 2007
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7200/index.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7200.

KC4BW Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2017 05:24 Send this review to a friend
This is a great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just wanted to give everyone a little tip that will make it easier and faster to change from one band to another.
I noticed K1VCT mentioned that he doesn't like the band select buttons where you have to do the long and short presses, etc when changing bands.
When I purchased my 7200 the first thing I did was program each band from 160 to 6m into a memory slot. At that point if you leave the radio in memory mode all you have to do is use the multi-function knob to switch from one band to another. I mainly use SSB so I programmed each memory slot for the middle of the phone band on each band. Once I am on the band I want I can then simply use the VFO to go up and down the band as per usual. For example, if I am on 75m and I want to QSY to 40m all I have to do is turn the multi-function knob one click clockwise and I'm there.
I won't go into details here about how to set your radio up to operate this way, as the manual gives all the info you need to do what I did.
I have not had to use the band select buttons on my radio to change bands since I did the programming. I don't use the VFO mode either, I just leave it in memory mode.
As has already been said, this radio is easy to use, and some of the programming can make it even easier.

KB4DU Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2017 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Great Choice for HF  Time owned: more than 12 months
Does exactly what it is designed to do, and everything I want it to do.

O Extremely rugged. I had 50 NPOTA activations with it, worked every time. The optional handles really help for portable operation. All the knobs and buttons feel very sturdy. Oh, and its weather resistant with sealed buttons and knobs.

O The DSP filters in the IF are variable to any reasonable bandwidth for each mode. Using Digipan to view filter effectiveness shows the are right on.

O The DSP noise reduction is adjustable and very effective. The automatic noise reduction is amazing on single frequency audio, like the tuner uppers that like to park on a nearby frequency.

O The passband tuning is very effective in reducing interference from adjacent signals and is very intuitive to use with the two concentric knobs.

O Band selection is quick and easy, with the previous frequency, mode and filter settings memorized.

O Audio on receive and transmit is very clear. Although there are no audio EQ adjustments available, I received numerous compliments on the transmit audio. The internal speaker provide clear audio at higher levels needed for outside portable operation.

O Dial accuracy is excellent. The Frequency readout can be displayed to 1 Hz. Using the frequency readout and Digipan, I measured the ARRL Frequency test to .4 Hz.

The only negative for me is the (sealed) numeric keypad buttons aren't lighted, so some aux lighting is needed.

LZ1DPN Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2017 06:37 Send this review to a friend
Great transceiver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought it second hand from eBay, with full set (with LDG IT-100 tuner). Wonderful rig with great PC connectivity, and N1MM+ logger support. I'm very pleased with this combination. Ideal for base station and for mobile activity. I often participate in HAM contests with him. Wonderful choice.

N8WJR Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2017 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Found the Problem  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ok this rig is very voltage sensitive. I found that the previous power supply would drift to 15Volts with the radio connected. It did not do that when I measured it without a load. I ordered a new power supply and the audio came right back. Thank goodness that the radio suffered no damage. I started using it Monday nigh and made 7 jt65 contacts with one in Japan.
I wish I could remove my previous reviews but I can not... Or at least I don't know how.... My new supply is at exactly 14.0 volts so one volt does make a difference.... Apparently it throws and output transistor into saturation.... Still a problem to me on design... I would purchase again due to the digital abilities ...

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2017 10:29 Send this review to a friend
SHOULD HAVE KEPT MY FIRST ONE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a good, solid radio for the money. It's easy to use and I have no major complaints. It's hard to go wrong with any Icom product and this radio is no exception. The only improvement would be a stronger DSP noise reduction, but then again, the price probably determines what you get. This is my second set-up as my IC 756 Pro III sits in another room. This unit would be ideal for taking it outside for contests, special events, field day, or any unique situation. It's very rugged.

KD0ZZO Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2017 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Versatile & Rugged  Time owned: more than 12 months
It took me six months of research before I chose to purchase my first and only rig - an IC-7200 - and I have never regretted doing so. It has everything I need - it is simple, yet very well designed and rugged. I installed it in a console that I plug-n-play at home, in my vehicle or in a Clam tent...AC, battery, generator,solar... anywhere at any time. When I heard that it was going out of production I purchased a second one and put it away. Because it does everything I want and need, I have no desire to upgrade or get anything more complicated.

N4YX Rating: 3/5 Jan 28, 2017 04:19 Send this review to a friend
IMHO - just an OK Transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
First: I'm an ICOM fan. I now own & have owned dozens of ICOM transceivers most notably the 706 series & the 7000 rigs. I owned (then sold) one of these 7200 rigs & it's just OK. What's up with no FM? Plus a single roofing filter that precludes having FM? Yet it has a Squelch control(?). What's that all about? Keep in mind my shacks are predominately ICOM. If the 7200 had all the features of the 7000 or even the 7100 (or even the 706) I would own several.

K1TWH Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2017 04:51 Send this review to a friend
Modern day IC-735  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Very functional radio. Those looking for better AM/SSB audio need look no further than mods by DG2IAQ which remove C1091 and place addtional capacitance across the coupling capacitor at C1089 (about 0.47 to 1.0 uF). I think lower cost radios have bass rolled of so they don't sound as good as more expensive radios. Witness the coupling caps in the FT-857/897 are also small, and the FT-450's AF DSP rolls off at 350Hz so the passband tuning can be placed anywhere, but audio below 300Hz won't change.
$ for $, this radio is an excellent choice.

K1VCT Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2017 16:34 Send this review to a friend
It got a 5 because there ain't no 6  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yes, back in production, as of mid-December, I was told by my local radio shop. Should sell for about $900ish, give or take.

Now for the review -

Just got a "pre-owned" IC-7200, and it arrived basically "as new". Except for the Anderson Power Pole pieces on the power cord, you'd never know it had been put into service.

I'm coming from an IC-718, and here's what's first on my mind:

Very quiet reception, made even quieter no doubt by the IF DSP vs the AF DSP of the IC-718.

Its a triple conversion receiver with outstanding selectivity. The IF filters are programmable, over a wide range from something like 3600hz to 50hz. The AM filter can go to about 7500hz (or was it 8000hz?). You can vary the skirt of the filter. <<<--- the variable IF filters, alone, are worth the price paid for this transceiver.

The twin passband tuning beats the single IF shift of the IC-718.

You get manual or automatic notch filter, variable mic compression, three levels of AGC on receive, lots of memories (I don't use 'em but if you do, they're there).

Its a fairly easy to use transceiver, and with any sort of prior experience at all, you'll only have to consult the manual for the finer points (aka, how to set it for CW break mode.. that sort of thing).

Here's what I DON'T like, as compared to my IC-718. While it does have a better sounding front firing speaker, when used with a high fidelity speaker, the IC-718 does a better job for AM (or HF/SW) broadcasts are listened to. Without it being stated, that I could find, what I'm guessing is that the IC-718 has had its audio tailored for a more full range, while the IC-7200 audio is tailored for what you'd need in SSB phone, or CW operation. Not a bad thing, just different. The audio of the IC-7200 is very clear, very articulate for phone use. If you were running an outboard audio device (aka, small amp, high fidelity speakers) the audio is clean enough to allow some contouring with an equalizer.

Next thing I don't like, but its livable, is the band selection, which takes a long press of one button, then a short press of another, in order to select bands. Not a deal breaker. You'd never get annoyed with it, unless you came from an IC-718, which has up/down band select. I don't change bands all the time, so its not too big a thing. I'm just noting the slight annoyance.

The display is smaller, but its not minuscule. The over 50 crowd (me) will want their reading glasses though.

I found my IC-7200 put out just a bit more power than my IC-718, and I don't know if that's the nature of the beast, or just unit variability, or IC-718 defect (or service needed). The IC-7200 puts out very close to the 100 watts stated (on my AWM-30B), vs about 85 from the IC-718 as measured on the same meter. No big deal for me, as I run way less out of the transceiver to drive my amp anyway.

As far as all the "rugged" features go, the IC-7200 weighs a good deal more than the IC-718.

So far, I really like it.

WA2GVA Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2017 07:32 Send this review to a friend
Available Again!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Just found out this fabulous rig is again available
for sale at the major outlets at a great price!
Built like a tank and so easy to use!