Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-7200 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7200
ICOM IC-7200 Reviews: 179 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1099.95
Description: Compact DSP IF HF/50 MHz transceiver.
First shown at Tokyo hamfair August 2007
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7200/index.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7200.

TF3JB Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2014 07:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent quality.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought a new Icom IC-7200 about 11 months ago as a back-up rig. I have had many transceivers over the years, but I was pleasantly surprised with the overall quality - and the receiver is outstanding for this price. The transceiver is easy to use and a pleasure to work on the bands. The only thing I would improve up on, would be to add an internal antenna tuner. However, for less than $900 this transceiver is a bargain!

KE6K Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2014 23:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio at an exceptional price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the IC-7200 to replace my IC-756PROII. Was very concerned because the 756 had an exceptional receiver and a pretty scope. Should not have worried. I picked up the IC-7200 new for considerably less than $900 and the receiver is AT LEAST as good as the 756. In addition, connects via USB to the computer. With FLDIGI, works like a champ on all digital modes including CW. And I get the scope on the computer!
Only complaint I have is the lack of backlit keys, which has been mentioned before here. I would highly recommend this radio.

KE7MU Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2014 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Performance & Prics  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Picked this radio up for less than $900 and price / performance is unbeatable. Works great for digital modes, you only need a USB cord and with FLdigi you have rig control as well. Bought an amp, only needed audio cord for switching. Great filtering, using it to tune out wide PSK sigs. and noise in general. Filters are much better than my FT-450 and other radios. Memory will save all configuration settings. I could go on.

Cons:

Display is small, but I knew that prior to purchase.
Doesn't have a built in tuner, but internal tuners are almost useless. My LDG has a plug & play cable no problem.
Doesn't have FM, but I knew that and never use FM.

It's all good, that is why I bought it.

K7TCE Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2014 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Icom describes the IC-7200 as an "entry-level transceiver". Hardly. The IC-7200 is a highly sophisticated small form factor HF/6 meter ham radio transceiver, with all the features most hams will ever need. Slightly larger than Icom’s IC-718, it has most features of my IC-746Pro (minus VHF/UHF) and IC-756ProII (minus the color screen and spectrum analyzer).

Three adjustable filters for each mode. Twin passband tuning. IF DSP, noise blanker, manual and automatic notch filter, 6 KHz roofing filter, voice annunciation of frequency and mode, rugged water-resistant construction, front-firing speaker, quiet receiver and adjustable AGC. Memories (200). USB interface that works seamlessly for rig control and digital modes. Internal tuner: no, and given the specs of many rigs’ internal tuners, that’s not a bad thing. The amber LCD screen is small, but readable in any lighting.

Do the math. For $100 more than an entry level radio with optional CW filter, the '7200 is twice as much radio. If you factor the internal digital interface, it’s a wash. At current offerings from the competition - features, prices, and customer service ratings - the IC-7200 merits consideration.

The IC-7200Pro should have backlit keys, color screen, video output, multiple antenna connectors, and IP connectivity to a virtual front panel interface.

The more I use this radio the more I like it. Having owned dozens of HF radios - low to high-end - my IC-735 was my favorite radio. The IC-7200 is my new favorite radio.

EB3BGM Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2014 15:38 Send this review to a friend
Great surpeise!!   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I buyed this just for try other thing but this radio will stay whit me for many time!
Compared with a TS-590 the receiver it's at the same level! Really quiet! And the filters work better than my 590.
Compared with a IC-7100 in the practice "are the same"... I don't know why but i cant find diference between both.
Pros:
Filters, ergonomy, refrigeration, receiver, audio in rx and tx (with the SM-20), design, construction....
Cons:
Display it's a little small, and have the information limited by the size!
Don't have internal antenna tunner....
Very recomended radio! For this price you don't will find anything better! If you want to find a better, must have more than double of the money you will spend for this!

Lo compre por probar algo diferente, pero me sorprendio gratamente y seguramente estara en mi estacion por mucho tiempo!
Comparado con el TS-590 el receptor esta al mismo nivel, solo si la estacion que transmite lo hace en un ancho de banda mayor a 4khz notaras apenas diferencia.
Comparado con un IC-7100 no he encontrado diferencias en el receptor, los dos son muy silenciosos y los filtros se configuran igual, salvo el doble pasabanda del 7200 que es mejor y mas facil de usar.
Ventajas:
Filtros, ergonomia, refrigeracion, el receptor, el audio de rx y tx (con el SM-20), el diseño, la construccion....
Contras:
Pantalla pequeña, tiene muy limitada la informacion por su tamaño, no tiene acoplador automatico, por tamaño le entraria!
Equipo muy recomendado, para expediciones y portable es ideal! Y para base es un gran equipo por un precio muy competitivo! Para encontrar un equipo mejor te tienes que subir mas del doble el presupuesto!

AI6AS Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2014 10:12 Send this review to a friend
Never looked back  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So I was looking to replace my Kenwood TS - 450SAT. I wanted something that would plug seamlessly into ham radio deluxe. I'm new to the hobby and wasn't sure what I really wanted but I decided a plain vanilla HF radio would fit my needs. So I went to ham radio outlet and basically looked at all the radio's a turn them around to see which one would have a USB connection found the Icom IC - 7200 saw that it was under $1000 and bought it. I've never looked back since.
I've been very happy with the performance of this radio, it fits all my needs and more. I think the menu design could have been a little more intuitive, but once I got used to it it doesn't seem to bother me. And with ham radio deluxe everything is at your fingertips.
I really have nothing bad to say about this radio. I'm very happy with this purchase.

KE7MU Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2014 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Would buy Again  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got one as I liked the PBT controls. The DSP works so much better than the FT450 which now sits on the corner of my desk ( I don't know what to do with it). I have used the 7200 for PSK exclusively as all I need is a USB cord and Fldigi. Worked a few hundred contacts PSK during field day with no issues. The PBT works well to filter out adjacent stations when working DX ( strong stations in the pass band de-sense the receiver ), with a waterfall display it is very easy to use. It is plug and play with my LDG tuner ( they supplied the cord at no cost ), internal tuners never have the range. I also love the front facing speaker, the rack mount and the tactical paint schemes. It was very low cost for what you get. I recommend it.

K7LZR Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2014 21:39 Send this review to a friend
Revisited. Great performer at a great price.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm on my third of these rigs. The need to try different things possessed me to sell the first two and after awhile I was sorry for it.

The IC-7200 is simply a great radio for the price. It is rugged and it performs well. I find that the DSP noise reduction works very well to remove background noise without introducing too much signal distortion. Most other radios which I've tested here used AF based DSP rather than IF based DSP as the IC-7200 does. To my ears, the IC-7200 outperforms them and is more pleasing to listen to. I really, really love the receiver. Its quiet. Its sensitive. Its selective.

I really like that the twin PBT, NR, NB, and both auto and manual notch filters work in the AM mode. Most radios only let these features work in the SSB & CW modes. Using them on AM can really enhance reception of SW and MW broadcasts.

I do find myself wishing for adjustable AGC time constants from time to time but it certainly isn't a deal breaker.

The transmitter in the IC-7200 which I have does reach full power on SSB voice peaks with the supplied HM-36 hand mic but I had to turn the mic gain up to 75 to achieve that. I finally replaced the stock mic with an HM-20 desk mic and it works much better and sounds really nice too :). I now only use the HM-36 hand mic when the radio goes portable.

Digital modes & computer control are a snap with this radio - just download the Icom USB driver from their website, install it per instructions, connect a standard A-B USB cable between computer & radio, and voila - you're ready to load and use your favorite digital mode software. Early IC-7200 units had a problem with audio levels at the USB port but that was fixed long ago.

The IC-7200 lends itself to remote operation very well. Despite what some user reviews say, the Icom RS-BA1 remote software functions very well if it is properly set up.

For software developers & programming hobbyists, this rig is a dream - virtually every function can be remotely controlled via the CI-V interface. This makes the IC-7200 a shoe-in for remote operation from a repeater controller.

The closest equivalent radio which I personally tested here is the Kenwood TS-480SAT. I liked that radio also, but IMHO the RX wasn't as selective as the IC-7200, and the AF based DSP just didn't work as well as the IC-7200. I also didn't really like the cheesy plastic feel of the control head.

So if you want a good, solid HF rig which won't overload you with gazillions of features but will get the job done, choose the IC-7200.

KD8WSP Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2014 19:50 Send this review to a friend
Excellent go-anywhere rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
First licensed in 1975, I've been out of the hobby for 25 years. When I got back into ham radio, I was intimidated by the complexity of some of the modern rigs. The main reason I picked the 7200 is the simplicity of operation combined with excellent receiver performance and reliability. I wanted something as simple as my old Ten-Tec Omni-C, and this came close.
Performance has been excellent, with no problems. Excellent receiver, with easily adjustable digital signal processing that among other things allows you to work 160 in the summer time. I own several HF transceivers, and if I were forced to choose only one, it would be the Icom 7200.

NP3ST Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2014 15:45 Send this review to a friend
GREAT FILTERING!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
LOT BEEN SAID HERE,BUT I JUST HAVE TO SAID,THAT THIS RADIO HAS SUPER FILTERING SYSTEM,GREAT DSP. AND EASY TO OPERATE,HAD LOTS OF RADIOS,FROM ALL MAJOR NAMES,AND JUST RETURNED TO THE 7200. NO OTHER RADIO ON HIS CATEGORIES OFFER WHAT THE 7200 DO.WILL RECOMMEND THIS UNIT TO ANYONE WITHOUT HESITATION.