Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-7200 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7200
ICOM IC-7200 Reviews: 192 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1099.95
Description: Compact DSP IF HF/50 MHz transceiver.
First shown at Tokyo hamfair August 2007

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7200.

KT4WO Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2015 10:17 Send this review to a friend
Very nice..for the price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For $800 bucks this rig can't be beat. Paired with
a LDG tuner what more could one need?
EA2EKH Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2015 08:16 Send this review to a friend
Awesome value  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased one second-hand several months ago.

The main reasons were the flexible DSP IF filtering with the classical Icom PBT controls and the built in USB interface for digital modes. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Performance has been excellent and it's a delight to operate with WSJT-X. And the built in interface for digital modes saves both money and time.

The IF filtering is very well made and it's also a real money saver: no additional expense to add IF filtering options. Set up the filters the way you want, choosing bandwidth and even shape, and enjoy.

If that wasn't enough, it has a very effective DSP notch filter implemented at the IF level capable of supressing a single frequency and offering three bandwidths, and an audio DSP automatic notch filter capable of tracking several tones. An audio noise reduction system, while not miraculous, certainly helps to reduce fatigue.

I still don't know how this rig qualifies as "entry level". The price is correct for an entry level of course, but the features are far from it. It's true that measurements show some compromise in reveiver performance subject to very strong signals, but that's only likely to be a problem for contsters with heavy guns.

PE1MPL Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2015 14:30 Send this review to a friend
Nice Little Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a very fine little radio, and I think at the moment there is no better for the money!
Why? It has some nice futures, a very good adjustable NR and a very fine NB adjustable, and what some people not now is it has two, one normal and one width so you can eliminate the most kind of disturbance. So you can also set fast recovery for the ALC wit lightning or switching peaks on the electricity net.
The adjustable twin PBT (IF passband tuning) works almost fine as a mechanical filter for nearby stations.
The notch filter is superb and auto notch work fine, not so fine as manual notch.
The little speaker has a amazing sound for this little speaker.
All the knobs are simple to use, no difficult menuís.

Are there cons? Yes maybe, the display a little bit lager was nice, the S meter are little dots, but it works and you can see it, and if you cant see it, there is a knob with SPCH and a little key.
When you push the button the little radio white the lady inside speaks the display information, thatís a nice future.

But the IC-7200 is on the end of its manufacture lifetime.
There come a new one in its place, the IC-7300!
Will it be better? I donít know, the time will learn. HI

Is this a five star radio?
For the money, YES IT IS.

73! Have Fun PE1MPL

4X1DA Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2015 04:07 Send this review to a friend
Best radio I've used for Digital Comms  Time owned: more than 12 months
The IC-7200 is a little gem which I can highly recommend - especially for digital communications. My favorite feature is it's built in USB port that functions as a CAT control as well as a sound card interface. This means that only a single cable is required between the PC and the XCVR. I can't think of a another sub-$1000 xcvr that has this feature. My other transceiver (an FT-950) requires a $100 SignalLink interface to do the same thing. I also ordered the rack mount accessory which besides protecting the front panel, doubles as an added heat sink for effective heat dissipation on long key-down transmissions. Note that the '7200 does not have a built in tuner nor does it have FM. Minor inconveniences for my daily type of operating.
KB3UWO Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2015 15:08 Send this review to a friend
Robust, excellent quality, simple to operate  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK, reviews are difficult. Is it a "5" meaning the best radio in the world. Not sure anything really is the best. Is the 7200 a "5" for what it does, absolutely.

Excellent build quality and rugged. Simple to use. It hears very well. Frankly I bought it because I am tired of digging in menus to make adjustments. Navigating this radio becomes second nature. To be honest, it has helped my skills because I can get to things quickly and easily by using my ears.

I also have used it for portable work and it really shines there as well as for digital work. Interfacing it is very simple and it works great in a Mac environment.

The value/price ratio is in my opinion off the charts. Rock solid.
W3DP Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2015 10:10 Send this review to a friend
Great features and performance. Easy to operate. Real value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Terrific little radio. Solid, rugged case. Receiver compares favorably to my TS-590S with good DSP filters, twin passband tuning, excellent NR noise reduction. I like the fast tuning speed button and easy filter bandwidth control. I operate mostly CW and was surprised by the quiet break-in relay. I can't hear it at all. I operate semi QSK, but even in full QSK I could not hear it. It's simple to operate. I had it mastered in 2 days including memory programming which is usually confusing with most radios. SSB audio was reported good but this hand mic has a poor reputation. SSB ops would use a suitable desk mic. A real value at the present $799.95 sale price.
KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2015 23:01 Send this review to a friend
One of the Best from Icom  Time owned: more than 12 months
Perhaps one of the very best radios that Icom has ever produced. Look at the number of reviews and the rating here on eHam and compare it with others. Sure, the display could be color and larger, but if you want rugged, low price, great audio and great built-in filters and USB connection for digital modes and other kinds of fun, THIS is your radio.
DL4MG Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2015 01:30 Send this review to a friend
Robust , simple, well ... secret tip  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Easy to use , great RX, good TX ( with SM - 30 ), via USB cable Digimodes, robust PA ... what more could you want.
N6SBN Rating: 4/5 Aug 16, 2015 13:09 Send this review to a friend
A Simple, practical transciever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a large Shack Radio and it's a delight to use. But, to take it mountain topping or on field day. Nope. I needed a small rugged travel radio. I chose the 7200 based on build and price. My 7200 sits in a Pelikan box with a battery and Buddipole nearby. It takes 4 minutes to load into the truck.

The Icom 7200 reminds me of my Marine SSB radios. They all have a commercial feel, water resistant build, and large handles. Most have simplified controls. The 7200 is similar.

I'm grateful for the simplified controls because if you don't use a radio every day, you tend to forget. This is less likely with the 7200. I don't want to be on a mountain top using a flash light to read through 68 pages of instructions.

As far as the performance. The USB and sound card works well for Computer interfacing. The radio has been around for awhile so most of the Digital Soundcard programs (FLDIGI, WSJTX) recognize the 7200.

I've run the radio hard for 5 hours and it gets warm.. But never super hot. With the ALC low, I'm getting good signal reports.

The receiver is good for most operations. A K3 it's not. But for practical use, it's better than average. I have the 7100 in my truck. The receiver is similar. The 7100 has all the bells and whistles, The 7200 doesn't.

Even so, on the 7200, you learn to skillfully make the most of the controls.

I needed a simple, rugged, economical transceiver and I'm quite pleased with the 7200. As mentioned, I am glad not to have all the bells and whistles when operating on the mountain top.
AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2015 11:17 Send this review to a friend
Good afordable radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Although I don't own an IC-7200 I have had the chance to test one for one week, its from a friend of mine who left it at home for me to check it up in all bands, modes, features, etc and then teach him how to use it because he is a new ham with no experience.
At simple sight it look ugly and simple like not a professional radio but how far from my first impression I was when I powered it up and tune all bands, I said WOW I was wrong,the RX is very quite, sensitive and selective, with the previous experience of owning several modern Icom radios, I did not need to read the manual, it was easy to figure out how all the knobs are set up.For the price you pay that is less than 800 bucks this is a great investment, only thing missing in this great radio is the monitor so if you like to hear yourself when you TX, then this is not your choice but If you don't care about it, go for it, you won't be disapointed.
Radio feels light but it has an excellent performance comparable with my backup IC-7000.
Even having just one roofing filter of 6Khz, the dynamic range is pretty decent, using the DSP filtering plus the dual PBT I have been able to delete strong stations at just 3 Khz from my operating freq.
The two fans keep the chassis little warm even using it with 100W on CW for long time.
Once again Icom designed and built a good small afordable radio.