Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-7200 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7200
ICOM IC-7200 Reviews: 176 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1099.95
Description: Compact DSP IF HF/50 MHz transceiver.
First shown at Tokyo hamfair August 2007
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7200/index.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7200.

KE7MU Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2015 18:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my 2 review after using it in several configurations.
Data Ops - I use it a lot on PSK, the filters are great to reject signals driving the AGC adjacent to my signal. The configuration is easy and saved in a memory. Works great with MAC and Windows.
SSB - I Use the stock mic with no problems get great reports, I did increase the mic gain, but no need to mod the mic.

Works great with the 811H amp, plug and play. I was also impressed with the noise reduction and other filtering.

Of all my yeasu, kenwood and Icom radios I prefer the IC-7200

K1BOB Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2015 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Rock Solid Value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I do not buy amateur equipment without consulting this site. I have bought new and still operate an IC-746, IC-706MkIIG and IC-7000.
The IC-7200 is all I thought it would be and I agree with the majority of 5 ratings, I will just address the negative aspects, as I am very satisfied with this radio.
- Power button is just below the tune button, I have turned the radio off on ocassion when I intended to tune it. (just me?)
- Display is a bit small, no alphnumeric labels.
-No way to save multiple frequencies like other Icoms except by putting into presets or one freq in each VFO.
-USB digital interface is at the least unreliable and problematic. Bought a Signalink USB and all is good now.
- As mentioned stock mic is very "weak" got AB5N's mic up grade and all is well.
Note: Had radio "opened up" for MARS/ARES/CAP, Giga Parts does this with new radio and maintains factory warranty.
This is one rugged, well build radio with ICOM quality at well less than $1000.

W6ZKH Rating: 4/5 Feb 25, 2015 07:38 Send this review to a friend
Decent radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my 7200 for around 2 years now, and mainly use it on Digital or AM. Great receiver and filters for the price. Only problem which drives me nuts is the receiver suspebility (sp) to electrical noise pulses, like someone turning on a light switch, etc. This doesnt have to be in my house either, but a neighbor. I keep my squelch ON when monitoring AM, and any noise spike will trip the Squelch, which is irritating, otherwise this is a good basic radio and for the price you cant beat it, except for that one problem.

WB9FOP Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2015 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Lots of unadvertised features  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm saddened to see retail/catalog advertisements for the IC-7200 gloss over or fail to mention so many of its great features that you normally associate with higher priced rigs. So often NOT mentioned in the ad copy is the fact that the IC-7200 also has a 6 Khz Roofing Filter, High Stab TCXO, RF Speech Compressor, Built-in Electronic Keyer, both Automatic and Manual Notch Filters as well as a built-in voice synthesizer for vision-impaired operation. I realize ad space is limited, but the 7200 is much more than the "entry level" rig some are quick to dismiss it as being. Best $885 I ever spent!

PY1WDS Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2015 04:50 Send this review to a friend
ARRIVED LAST WEEK.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
MY SECOND IC-7200, VERY GOOD RECEPTION, VERY STRONG AND GOOD FOR USE OUT HOME.
73,TOM PY1WDS.

W0VET Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2015 07:43 Send this review to a friend
Just right  Time owned: more than 12 months
The rig is a complete pleasure to operate. Period. I have owned Kenwood and Yaesu products, which have all performed well. But side-by-side I prefer the 7200.

KG5EBY Rating: 4/5 Jan 9, 2015 20:00 Send this review to a friend
great value rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up a new 7200 2 months ago along with a a it100 tuner and never looked back, great radio, not a contester rig but it is also not 3 grand either. even the mic is getting great audio reports. good radio to get started in hf with and be able to get a bit better antenna with the cash saved, I started w a dipole and running a 10m quad homebrew and am loving the hobby. I would only give 5 stars if it was network ready for remote usage out of the box instead of iffy $100 dollar software (looking for a reliable program still)

WZ3O Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2015 10:29 Send this review to a friend
3rd time....  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
4.5 rounded to 5. Feature rich rig, sounds good hears well.Enough rejection with Twin PBT & auto/ manual notch, unless you're a big contester then you'd buy a different rig.

KE6K Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2014 20:22 Send this review to a friend
Bought it for the USB interface. Keeping it for the performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
OK. I replaced an IC-756PROII with this radio. I had the 756 for about 10 years and loved it. Great receiver and the DSP was great.
My gravitation to the IC-7200 was based on my desire to get into software operation on the digital modes as well as using the software for radio control. That works great as well.
The receiver is NOT as good as the 756 however and I do miss that at times. However it is still very good and the DSP works very well. Same great and effective noise reduction circuits.
Also the speaker quite small as are the button labels. Would I do it again? For the money ABSOLUTELY. I was looking at the IC-7100 but I simply do not use the VHF/UHF bands much anymore.
Now if the software developers can catch up with the radio interfacing using USB.

WB9FOP Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2014 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Best Bang For Least Buck, Bar None!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having recently retired & coming back to Ham Radio after a near 30-yr absence, frankly I was stunned by today's astronomical prices for ham gear. Working on a very tight retiree's budget, I was certain of only 2 things: I didn't want anything used and I was pretty sure I wanted an Icom. After reading the reviews I decided on the IC-7200 and have so far been extremely well pleased. The only issue was the cheapie hand mic that everyone warned me about beforehand, so when I placed the order I ordered the companion SM-30 desk mic along with it. There's a guy who advertises $50 mods for the default Icom HM36 hand mic, but even after that mod and while unarguably an improvement, the SM-30 desk mic still way out-performs the hand mic... and don't waste your money for a Heil. Performance-wise the SM-30 will meet or beat the Heil ICM. For anyone on a budget looking for a swell HF rig, look no further than the IC-7200 (currently priced at $889) + $139 for the (recommended) SM30 desk mic. You will also need a 12vdc power supply. A friend recommended the Astron SS-30M (w/meters). With the few bucks I had left I bought an MFJ-926B remote auto-tuner, mainly because I believe in addressing any antenna matching problems outside at the antenna rather than having to deal with stray RF inside the shack. Also, the ($64 optional) MB116 front "handles" make an attractive addition as well as serve to help protect the front of the rig in case it should ever fall on its nose. The only reason I'm giving this a rating of 5 is because there's no option to give it a 6. Best bang for the least buck, bar none. It's really nice to feel like you got your money's worth.