Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-7200 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7200
ICOM IC-7200 Reviews: 165 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1099.95
Description: Compact DSP IF HF/50 MHz transceiver.
First shown at Tokyo hamfair August 2007
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7200/index.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7200.

KC7YRA Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2014 14:36 Send this review to a friend
Surprising radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this unit as a "Field Day, cabin, bored in the woods, need a radio at work" radio.

Once received, the radio was oddly easy to get up and functioning without the manual. I did have to crack the small book open for instructions on accessing the menu system, but that was about it.

Chasing around CW contacts on 40, the radio has an excellent receiver which is quite capable of handling the often crowed conditions found on the bands. Did it handle the rock crushing signals like a mechanically filtered FT-1Billion.2? No, but it was acceptable.

I found the stock filters very capable for general operating. With a WIDE-MEDIUM-NARROW setting, there is a filter arrangement that will fit MOST (not all) situations.

The noise blanking and noise reduction are also quite good. Not much more I can write here. They simply work.

What I really like on this rig is the auto notch filter AND the manual notch. This little critter can really get rid of adjacent frequency squeal.

On the ergonomics side of things, the radio is FAIRLY well laid out. In a dim area, I had to grab a flashlight to see the button labels. Also, the display itself is not overly large. It is quite functional, but does not convey the bevy of information that some of the new super rigs do.

If I had to site a complaint, I could. But I would have to dig deep. The internal speaker is a "mehhh" rating. It is front firing, but due to it's size, it just does not sound that good. Perfectly usable, but headphones really bring this radio to life.

Overall, I'm quite impressed with this rig. For it's price, performance, and rugged design; coupled with the stock filters, I would venture to call this the best rig under $1k.

Along those lines, if you are reading this review, you may be comparing the IC-718 or the 7200. While the 718 is a good radio, for just a couple hundred more dollars, the 7200 is enough of a performance to justify the expense IMO.

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2014 12:38 Send this review to a friend
BEST HF FOR THE BUCK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finally have had the time to put my IC-7200 through its paces. My other rig is an IC 756 PRO-3 and I have it set up in another room of my house. The 7200 is my newest SMALL BASE STATION and I am having a blast using it. It is extremely easy to operate and the manual is also a simple tool to use, if ever needed. I know that propagation is very good now, and I have worked more DX with this radio than any other.
Considering that I am using a stealthy 36' END FED on the roof of my single level duplex at twenty feet, in the middle of the country, I'm doing well. I am having so much enjoyment using this rig that I recently purchased a small amp and high power tuner to keep dust off of the long wire. If you want a small, feature laden and high quality radio, the ICOM -72 is perfect.

KC7NYI Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2014 14:02 Send this review to a friend
GREAT RADIO, MY SECOND  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
GREAT FOR THE PRICE. DIRECT ENTRY, PRO AMP, VOICE, METER, PTB, FILTERS AND A NICE VFO. PLENTY OF MEMORY . AND ITS AN ICOM!!!!

W1XWX Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2014 20:06 Send this review to a friend
Rugged radio at a good price point  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought the 7200 several months ago to use as my portable/emergency go kit radio. It's setup so that I can switch to battery power quickly using Anderson Power Poles. I would recommend that you install the optional handles if you plan to take it portable as the handles help protect the front of the radio from any damage.

The USB cable works great for both rig control and for the digital modes without needing any other "sound" equipment like a Rigblaster or Signalink. This reduces the equipment needed to operate portable.

Very rugged design "splash" resistant-- similar to Icom's Marine radios. Sounds good, filters work just fine... all in all a good radio. Sure wish the buttons were lighted and the screen was slightly larger-- but these are my only small complaints.

IZ4DJC Rating: 1/5 Feb 21, 2014 08:00 Send this review to a friend
deludente  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ho comprato Icom ic 7200 per uso mobile nell' anno 2010 ma dopo pochi mesi l'ho rivenduta , il ricevitore buono solo in assenza di segnali laterali, i filtri e il dsp inutile spesso ascoltavo in sottofondo broadcasting e musichette varie, nelle bande basse molto rumorosa.
Esperienza con kenw. Ts 2000 Ts 870 Icom 737 Icom 706 mk2 ft 1000mp e ft 450
Grande delusione la peggiore che ho posseduto. l'ho sostituita con un yaesu ft 450 at
che al confronto del ic 7200 reputo un ottimo hf completo e poco costoso per uso mobile.

AB6YA Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2014 20:44 Send this review to a friend
Sold radio - Holds it's own against rigs $1000+ more!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can't see any reason not to give this rig a 5.

For $875 delivered right now it is a heck of a deal. I am just getting back into the Ham world after a 20 year layoff and was really having a hard time picking a new radio. I am focusing on primarily CW so initially was thinking of just buying an Icom 718 and adding the CW filter for a starter rig - But it comes within $150 of this rig and no filters are needed with the IF DSP.

I was weary with all the talk of how IF DSP is still not up to par as a good crystal filter, but I had the chance to compare this rig with a really nice fully filtered Drake, and for me the IF DSP did as well or better - And we were actually able to copy a call out of Japan with the 7200 that we couldn't quite tighten up and copy on the Drake (between the preamp and a custom IF DSP of about 100hz it popped out of the woodwork).

I also compared the Elecraft K3 at the same friend's shack, and while the K3 had a few minor strengths, they too me were almost immeasurable (especially for over $1200 more!).

It was really nice to be able to swap each of the rigs back and forth on the same antenna - And I'll tell you this rig really shines and holds it's own against his K3 and Drake!

This is a rig that can last someone a lifetime!

Anyhow I know you'll love this radio - It'll do anything you ask of it - And more...

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2013 21:01 Send this review to a friend
WONDERFUL RADIO  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My other rig is a IC 756 Pro III and it is a real classic. I set my new IC 7200 up in a second bedroom with a 36' end fed wire over the roof, 20' to 25' high. This radio is a gem. It is fun and easy to operate and is a real joy overall. It is very simple to use and the instructions, like most all ICOM manuals is very understandable and fast to locate a particular function. The radio is solid quality and I picked mine up for 900 bucks from Ham Radio Outlet Denver. It is a perfect first or second rig and you will enjoy using it.

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2013 01:40 Send this review to a friend
great for the price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
For its price this is a very decent radio. Rugged, the receiver is very good and it offers all filter and noise reduction functions you could ask for. I don't miss FM or an autotuner but I really miss some CW and voice memories. Well and the band stacking registers that are common wiht other Icom radios. That said, this radio is highly recommonded.

K1WCC Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2013 17:18 Send this review to a friend
Nice rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio about a year ago as a "retirement rig". At the time, I happened to be in Dayton and had a chance to compare the radio with many others. Price is always an issue, and this is a lot of radio for the price. It's also simple and quick to learn, but still has nice features. I agree with other comments, the receiver is excellent. For what I do (HF nets, ragchewing, portable ops), it's almost a perfect rig. One nice feature is the LCD display-you can see it outdoors, unlike the rigs with TFT displays that wash out in sunlight.

AE5JU Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2013 23:08 Send this review to a friend
Two 7200s in Club Station  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This past spring I purchased a new IC-7200 and placed it in our club station. The new 7200 was immediately liked by all users, especially during this year's Field Day. When another very slightly used 7200 was put up for sale close by we (Club) jumped on it, replacing two older HF rigs that were sold to help recoup the funds spent on this one. So now we have two identical, great performing rigs in the station. The direct USB connection (no interface) feature makes it easy to connect to the club's laptop for digital modes. I also did the PY3SS/K1RF modification on both microphones with good results. Both radios are equipped with LDG IT-100 tuners set up to tune on PTT. All in all, we are very happy with these two new radios. Great improvement for our club station.