Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7200 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7200
ICOM IC-7200 Reviews: 222 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1099.95
Description: Compact DSP IF HF/50 MHz transceiver.
First shown at Tokyo hamfair August 2007
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7200/index.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7200.

N8WJR Rating: 1/5 Apr 13, 2017 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Additional Information  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
in addition to the previous information I provided. Please note, the power supply was only cycled while troubleshooting the no-speaker-audio. The radio was operating JT65 and using speaker audio when the speaker audio dropped out. This time not recovering with powering off the rig. This is the new version of IC-7200, when I called support they had no idea. Apparently the PDF drawings they sent with the rig are the old drawings and do not represent the new radio. I'm hoping the manufacturer will allow me to pay for and upgrade to a 7300. I will inform you of how the repair/replacement process goes... I've had the rig about 70 days and have operated less than 30 times.... Also, a know problem with the new version is the RF hum in the front headset audio circuit. It is very disturbing while using a kenwood headset. RF methods did not work on the headset cable.

N8WJR Rating: 1/5 Apr 12, 2017 23:00 Send this review to a friend
Poor Engineering  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first Icom Radio and most likely my last. I have been enjoying JT65, the main reason I purchased this radio. However this is the second time since then end of January 2017 that I have lost audio. I plug in a headset and I have audio, I turn off the supply with the rig on and loud sound comes out of the speaker as it is going off. I've reset the uP and it hasn't fixed it. I've checked the power supply, just in case no ripple. I'm pretty upset that my new rig took a crap so early in it's short life. With the microprocessor reset, I have nothing else I can do... I wish I had stuck with Kenwood or Yaesu...

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2017 10:29 Send this review to a friend
SHOULD HAVE KEPT MY FIRST ONE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a good, solid radio for the money. It's easy to use and I have no major complaints. It's hard to go wrong with any Icom product and this radio is no exception. The only improvement would be a stronger DSP noise reduction, but then again, the price probably determines what you get. This is my second set-up as my IC 756 Pro III sits in another room. This unit would be ideal for taking it outside for contests, special events, field day, or any unique situation. It's very rugged.

KD0ZZO Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2017 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Versatile & Rugged  Time owned: more than 12 months
It took me six months of research before I chose to purchase my first and only rig - an IC-7200 - and I have never regretted doing so. It has everything I need - it is simple, yet very well designed and rugged. I installed it in a console that I plug-n-play at home, in my vehicle or in a Clam tent...AC, battery, generator,solar... anywhere at any time. When I heard that it was going out of production I purchased a second one and put it away. Because it does everything I want and need, I have no desire to upgrade or get anything more complicated.

N4YX Rating: 3/5 Jan 28, 2017 04:19 Send this review to a friend
IMHO - just an OK Transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
First: I'm an ICOM fan. I now own & have owned dozens of ICOM transceivers most notably the 706 series & the 7000 rigs. I owned (then sold) one of these 7200 rigs & it's just OK. What's up with no FM? Plus a single roofing filter that precludes having FM? Yet it has a Squelch control(?). What's that all about? Keep in mind my shacks are predominately ICOM. If the 7200 had all the features of the 7000 or even the 7100 (or even the 706) I would own several.

K1TWH Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2017 04:51 Send this review to a friend
Modern day IC-735  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Very functional radio. Those looking for better AM/SSB audio need look no further than mods by DG2IAQ which remove C1091 and place addtional capacitance across the coupling capacitor at C1089 (about 0.47 to 1.0 uF). I think lower cost radios have bass rolled of so they don't sound as good as more expensive radios. Witness the coupling caps in the FT-857/897 are also small, and the FT-450's AF DSP rolls off at 350Hz so the passband tuning can be placed anywhere, but audio below 300Hz won't change.
$ for $, this radio is an excellent choice.

K1VCT Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2017 16:34 Send this review to a friend
It got a 5 because there ain't no 6  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yes, back in production, as of mid-December, I was told by my local radio shop. Should sell for about $900ish, give or take.

Now for the review -

Just got a "pre-owned" IC-7200, and it arrived basically "as new". Except for the Anderson Power Pole pieces on the power cord, you'd never know it had been put into service.

I'm coming from an IC-718, and here's what's first on my mind:

Very quiet reception, made even quieter no doubt by the IF DSP vs the AF DSP of the IC-718.

Its a triple conversion receiver with outstanding selectivity. The IF filters are programmable, over a wide range from something like 3600hz to 50hz. The AM filter can go to about 7500hz (or was it 8000hz?). You can vary the skirt of the filter. <<<--- the variable IF filters, alone, are worth the price paid for this transceiver.

The twin passband tuning beats the single IF shift of the IC-718.

You get manual or automatic notch filter, variable mic compression, three levels of AGC on receive, lots of memories (I don't use 'em but if you do, they're there).

Its a fairly easy to use transceiver, and with any sort of prior experience at all, you'll only have to consult the manual for the finer points (aka, how to set it for CW break mode.. that sort of thing).

Here's what I DON'T like, as compared to my IC-718. While it does have a better sounding front firing speaker, when used with a high fidelity speaker, the IC-718 does a better job for AM (or HF/SW) broadcasts are listened to. Without it being stated, that I could find, what I'm guessing is that the IC-718 has had its audio tailored for a more full range, while the IC-7200 audio is tailored for what you'd need in SSB phone, or CW operation. Not a bad thing, just different. The audio of the IC-7200 is very clear, very articulate for phone use. If you were running an outboard audio device (aka, small amp, high fidelity speakers) the audio is clean enough to allow some contouring with an equalizer.

Next thing I don't like, but its livable, is the band selection, which takes a long press of one button, then a short press of another, in order to select bands. Not a deal breaker. You'd never get annoyed with it, unless you came from an IC-718, which has up/down band select. I don't change bands all the time, so its not too big a thing. I'm just noting the slight annoyance.

The display is smaller, but its not minuscule. The over 50 crowd (me) will want their reading glasses though.

I found my IC-7200 put out just a bit more power than my IC-718, and I don't know if that's the nature of the beast, or just unit variability, or IC-718 defect (or service needed). The IC-7200 puts out very close to the 100 watts stated (on my AWM-30B), vs about 85 from the IC-718 as measured on the same meter. No big deal for me, as I run way less out of the transceiver to drive my amp anyway.

As far as all the "rugged" features go, the IC-7200 weighs a good deal more than the IC-718.

So far, I really like it.

WA2GVA Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2017 07:32 Send this review to a friend
Available Again!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Just found out this fabulous rig is again available
for sale at the major outlets at a great price!
Built like a tank and so easy to use!

KJ4HRH Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2016 00:06 Send this review to a friend
Very Happy  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my first radio. Got it for a great price just before it went permanently out of stock. Operated it for about a year. Exactly what I wanted--small, light, affordable, and good performance. More features than I would ever need but not too complicated for a beginner like me. I chose carefully, and I believe the radio has fully vindicated my decision.

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2016 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Super rig !!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Acquired this rig at xmas 2015 (about 7-months ago). I, only operate digital & CW modes. The built-in filters are great. Sometimes even operate SSB (2%).

The only negative item is the small display-screen, BUT I can even get use to that.

With the low price & performance, overall, I rate this radio 5++++