Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7200 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7200
ICOM IC-7200 Reviews: 219 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1099.95
Description: Compact DSP IF HF/50 MHz transceiver.
First shown at Tokyo hamfair August 2007
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7200/index.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7200.

KD0ZZO Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2017 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Versatile & Rugged  Time owned: more than 12 months
It took me six months of research before I chose to purchase my first and only rig - an IC-7200 - and I have never regretted doing so. It has everything I need - it is simple, yet very well designed and rugged. I installed it in a console that I plug-n-play at home, in my vehicle or in a Clam tent...AC, battery, generator,solar... anywhere at any time. When I heard that it was going out of production I purchased a second one and put it away. Because it does everything I want and need, I have no desire to upgrade or get anything more complicated.

N4YX Rating: 3/5 Jan 28, 2017 04:19 Send this review to a friend
IMHO - just an OK Transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
First: I'm an ICOM fan. I now own & have owned dozens of ICOM transceivers most notably the 706 series & the 7000 rigs. I owned (then sold) one of these 7200 rigs & it's just OK. What's up with no FM? Plus a single roofing filter that precludes having FM? Yet it has a Squelch control(?). What's that all about? Keep in mind my shacks are predominately ICOM. If the 7200 had all the features of the 7000 or even the 7100 (or even the 706) I would own several.

K1TWH Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2017 04:51 Send this review to a friend
Modern day IC-735  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Very functional radio. Those looking for better AM/SSB audio need look no further than mods by DG2IAQ which remove C1091 and place addtional capacitance across the coupling capacitor at C1089 (about 0.47 to 1.0 uF). I think lower cost radios have bass rolled of so they don't sound as good as more expensive radios. Witness the coupling caps in the FT-857/897 are also small, and the FT-450's AF DSP rolls off at 350Hz so the passband tuning can be placed anywhere, but audio below 300Hz won't change.
$ for $, this radio is an excellent choice.

K1VCT Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2017 16:34 Send this review to a friend
It got a 5 because there ain't no 6  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yes, back in production, as of mid-December, I was told by my local radio shop. Should sell for about $900ish, give or take.

Now for the review -

Just got a "pre-owned" IC-7200, and it arrived basically "as new". Except for the Anderson Power Pole pieces on the power cord, you'd never know it had been put into service.

I'm coming from an IC-718, and here's what's first on my mind:

Very quiet reception, made even quieter no doubt by the IF DSP vs the AF DSP of the IC-718.

Its a triple conversion receiver with outstanding selectivity. The IF filters are programmable, over a wide range from something like 3600hz to 50hz. The AM filter can go to about 7500hz (or was it 8000hz?). You can vary the skirt of the filter. <<<--- the variable IF filters, alone, are worth the price paid for this transceiver.

The twin passband tuning beats the single IF shift of the IC-718.

You get manual or automatic notch filter, variable mic compression, three levels of AGC on receive, lots of memories (I don't use 'em but if you do, they're there).

Its a fairly easy to use transceiver, and with any sort of prior experience at all, you'll only have to consult the manual for the finer points (aka, how to set it for CW break mode.. that sort of thing).

Here's what I DON'T like, as compared to my IC-718. While it does have a better sounding front firing speaker, when used with a high fidelity speaker, the IC-718 does a better job for AM (or HF/SW) broadcasts are listened to. Without it being stated, that I could find, what I'm guessing is that the IC-718 has had its audio tailored for a more full range, while the IC-7200 audio is tailored for what you'd need in SSB phone, or CW operation. Not a bad thing, just different. The audio of the IC-7200 is very clear, very articulate for phone use. If you were running an outboard audio device (aka, small amp, high fidelity speakers) the audio is clean enough to allow some contouring with an equalizer.

Next thing I don't like, but its livable, is the band selection, which takes a long press of one button, then a short press of another, in order to select bands. Not a deal breaker. You'd never get annoyed with it, unless you came from an IC-718, which has up/down band select. I don't change bands all the time, so its not too big a thing. I'm just noting the slight annoyance.

The display is smaller, but its not minuscule. The over 50 crowd (me) will want their reading glasses though.

I found my IC-7200 put out just a bit more power than my IC-718, and I don't know if that's the nature of the beast, or just unit variability, or IC-718 defect (or service needed). The IC-7200 puts out very close to the 100 watts stated (on my AWM-30B), vs about 85 from the IC-718 as measured on the same meter. No big deal for me, as I run way less out of the transceiver to drive my amp anyway.

As far as all the "rugged" features go, the IC-7200 weighs a good deal more than the IC-718.

So far, I really like it.

WA2GVA Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2017 07:32 Send this review to a friend
Available Again!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Just found out this fabulous rig is again available
for sale at the major outlets at a great price!
Built like a tank and so easy to use!

KJ4HRH Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2016 00:06 Send this review to a friend
Very Happy  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my first radio. Got it for a great price just before it went permanently out of stock. Operated it for about a year. Exactly what I wanted--small, light, affordable, and good performance. More features than I would ever need but not too complicated for a beginner like me. I chose carefully, and I believe the radio has fully vindicated my decision.

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2016 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Super rig !!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Acquired this rig at xmas 2015 (about 7-months ago). I, only operate digital & CW modes. The built-in filters are great. Sometimes even operate SSB (2%).

The only negative item is the small display-screen, BUT I can even get use to that.

With the low price & performance, overall, I rate this radio 5++++

W0NWT Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2016 08:00 Send this review to a friend
Great and easy to operate  Time owned: more than 12 months
The display is a bit too small. But, it has a better receiver than my Kenwood TS-2000. It will hear signals the Kenwood can't. But the lack of a built in auto tuner is a negative. You can always get an external auto tuner but that means more money. I use it mainly as a second radio for contesting on 6M.

PY1WDS Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2016 07:36 Send this review to a friend
THIS IS MY 3RD. ICOM 7200  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
AS EVER EASY TO BE OPERATE, AND VY GREAT RECEPTION.
ALL YOU NEED WITH AFORDABLE PRICE.
73, PY1WDS.

K2VI Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2016 15:52 Send this review to a friend
A TANK OF A RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great filters , NR , selectivity for 99% of the ham population. It is built to mil spec and will take a beating. I feel this rig was built to outlive the operator. The only thing i can find to complain is the small display but the radio is built to be in a war. What a fine piece of radio gear. GOOD JOB ON THIS ONE ICOM.