Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-7200 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7200
ICOM IC-7200 Reviews: 186 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1099.95
Description: Compact DSP IF HF/50 MHz transceiver.
First shown at Tokyo hamfair August 2007
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7200/index.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7200.

KE6K Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2014 20:22 Send this review to a friend
Bought it for the USB interface. Keeping it for the performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
OK. I replaced an IC-756PROII with this radio. I had the 756 for about 10 years and loved it. Great receiver and the DSP was great.
My gravitation to the IC-7200 was based on my desire to get into software operation on the digital modes as well as using the software for radio control. That works great as well.
The receiver is NOT as good as the 756 however and I do miss that at times. However it is still very good and the DSP works very well. Same great and effective noise reduction circuits.
Also the speaker quite small as are the button labels. Would I do it again? For the money ABSOLUTELY. I was looking at the IC-7100 but I simply do not use the VHF/UHF bands much anymore.
Now if the software developers can catch up with the radio interfacing using USB.

WB9FOP Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2014 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Best Bang For Least Buck, Bar None!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having recently retired & coming back to Ham Radio after a near 30-yr absence, frankly I was stunned by today's astronomical prices for ham gear. Working on a very tight retiree's budget, I was certain of only 2 things: I didn't want anything used and I was pretty sure I wanted an Icom. After reading the reviews I decided on the IC-7200 and have so far been extremely well pleased. The only issue was the cheapie hand mic that everyone warned me about beforehand, so when I placed the order I ordered the companion SM-30 desk mic along with it. There's a guy who advertises $50 mods for the default Icom HM36 hand mic, but even after that mod and while unarguably an improvement, the SM-30 desk mic still way out-performs the hand mic... and don't waste your money for a Heil. Performance-wise the SM-30 will meet or beat the Heil ICM. For anyone on a budget looking for a swell HF rig, look no further than the IC-7200 (currently priced at $889) + $139 for the (recommended) SM30 desk mic. You will also need a 12vdc power supply. A friend recommended the Astron SS-30M (w/meters). With the few bucks I had left I bought an MFJ-926B remote auto-tuner, mainly because I believe in addressing any antenna matching problems outside at the antenna rather than having to deal with stray RF inside the shack. Also, the ($64 optional) MB116 front "handles" make an attractive addition as well as serve to help protect the front of the rig in case it should ever fall on its nose. The only reason I'm giving this a rating of 5 is because there's no option to give it a 6. Best bang for the least buck, bar none. It's really nice to feel like you got your money's worth.

N2PH Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2014 14:53 Send this review to a friend
Love it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the best transceiver I have owned. I have owned the Kenwood 520, 530, 820, 830 and 120 and the 7200 is better than all of them. The DSP filters are great and can really knock out QRM and QRN. Can't beat the features for the price. At a price of under $1000 the 7200 is a great buy.

KB1QYH Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2014 12:30 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic radio at a great price point!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I picked this unit up last March during the $100 off special at HRO. Price paid was $889. I live in a condo with lots of RF noise. I was previously using an FT-990, and while it was a good radio, it did not do well with the amount of noise in the shack. I sold the 990, and replaced it with the 7200. What a difference! stations are much clearer on the 7200. The IF DSP really helps a lot. I get great audio reports with the stock mic, and I would say that the receive audio is just as good as the 990 if not a bit better. The controls are also easy to use- well laid out keys, and excellent build quality. For the price you really can't go wrong with this radio. I also own a 7000, and while I like it, it's to menu driven, and gets very hot while transmitting due to its small size. Not so with the 7200. If you are on the fence about buying this one I say go for it!! you can't go wrong!

KK4CZT Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2014 17:51 Send this review to a friend
Best HF Radio   Time owned: more than 12 months
ICom describes the 7200 as entry level far from it I bought it to replace a Yaesu 450D, the 7200 has a USB interface no need for a TNC or special cable it comes with all the filters that anyone may need the audio is the best even in bad QRM you can filter out the noise and get clear audio, easy to go from phone to digital modes; very easy to setup and nothing to buy it comes with all the toys you need and a front facing speaker I got mine for 750.00 dollars a great deal for the best HF radio that I have worked on if you find one buy it you will be very happy you did.

N2NKW Rating: 4/5 Oct 6, 2014 07:45 Send this review to a friend
Works Great but 1 minor exception  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Radio works great. I REALLY like the USB interface. I use the radio exclusively with digital modes. WSJT-x is my favorite mode. I had one minor issue with setting it up for digi modes using N3JF Icom Digi Mode video. If you run the USB setting too high, it will get too hot and the audio won't transmit via ssb. Just a minor issue thats fixed by dropping the USB level. Other than that issue, the radio quite a rig. I'm 100% happy with it and recommend it to ALL users

K7RBW Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2014 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Great audio and easy to use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got one last week after HRO-Denver let me spend over an hour testing it along with a few other models. The -7200 won out because I wanted an HF rig that I could carry around and use easily. Lots of great rigs available in the $1K range, but not having a permanent shack means I have to think portable. The 2-piece rigs (IC-7100 and Kenwood 480) are great but the thought of carrying around and connecting more components seemed like it would get tiresome, quickly. While headphones and external speakers minimize the differences in audio, I liked the sound of the 7200 without headphones. In a quiet room, that's one less thing to connect. Also, the fact that I can connect the laptop directly to the radio and do PSK and digital comms without an extra box was another plus.

So far, in my limited time using it, my favorite feature is the Automatic Notch Filter (ANF). I was listening to a QSO when another station started tuning up on top of it. Turning on the ANF, made the carrier of the tuning station magically disappear. I had to go back and forth to believe it! The filters of the IF-DSP are easy to use and really improve the sound, as well. The controls are easy to use while operating and those with variable settings (e.g. the filters) are easy to adjust.

Cons? Well, it's heavy. All that armor-plating is heavy. I don't expect to backpack with it, so that's only a minor inconvenience, and I knew that going in. As others have noted, a lighted keypad would be a big improvement, but it's hardly a showstopper. I'm looking for an LED light wand to add to facilitate use in the dark.

TF3JB Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2014 07:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent quality.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought a new Icom IC-7200 about 11 months ago as a back-up rig. I have had many transceivers over the years, but I was pleasantly surprised with the overall quality - and the receiver is outstanding for this price. The transceiver is easy to use and a pleasure to work on the bands. The only thing I would improve up on, would be to add an internal antenna tuner. However, for less than $900 this transceiver is a bargain!

KE6K Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2014 23:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio at an exceptional price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the IC-7200 to replace my IC-756PROII. Was very concerned because the 756 had an exceptional receiver and a pretty scope. Should not have worried. I picked up the IC-7200 new for considerably less than $900 and the receiver is AT LEAST as good as the 756. In addition, connects via USB to the computer. With FLDIGI, works like a champ on all digital modes including CW. And I get the scope on the computer!
Only complaint I have is the lack of backlit keys, which has been mentioned before here. I would highly recommend this radio.

KE7MU Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2014 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Performance & Prics  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Picked this radio up for less than $900 and price / performance is unbeatable. Works great for digital modes, you only need a USB cord and with FLdigi you have rig control as well. Bought an amp, only needed audio cord for switching. Great filtering, using it to tune out wide PSK sigs. and noise in general. Filters are much better than my FT-450 and other radios. Memory will save all configuration settings. I could go on.

Cons:

Display is small, but I knew that prior to purchase.
Doesn't have a built in tuner, but internal tuners are almost useless. My LDG has a plug & play cable no problem.
Doesn't have FM, but I knew that and never use FM.

It's all good, that is why I bought it.