Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-7200 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7200
ICOM IC-7200 Reviews: 175 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1099.95
Description: Compact DSP IF HF/50 MHz transceiver.
First shown at Tokyo hamfair August 2007
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7200/index.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7200.

WZ1P Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2011 10:42 Send this review to a friend
2 Year Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was hooked on the IC-7200 when I first saw it at Dayton in 2009. I bought an real early one. Icom did the A & B mods to it under warranty. I got to know this radio really well and was really impressed with the rugged construction and user friendly menu. The audio is crisp and clear as is the receiver.

I took it on a Dxpedition to St. Lucia in 2010 to operate it from the beaches and mountain tops on battery power. It came through for me 100%. Everyone wanted to use it and they did for phone, CW and digi. Not one complaint was heard from anyone. Thousands of DX contacts were made. It is used almost daily in the sub tropics of Florida where the humidity and salt air would stop a lesser radio dead in it's tracks.

This radio is just about bulletproof. Great care was done to make it water and weather resistant. Under the covers the boards are in compartments sealed with 'O' ring seals. The speaker is mylar and fitted with another o-ring seal. The same can be said for the front mounted control knobs. Any water entering the top cooling grille will be drained thorugh the rear as the heat sink and fan compartment is seperate from the rest of the chassis. Now I don't encourage you to use the radio in a downpour but that's the way it was designed.

The radio however was missing something. It was screaming to be olive drab in color. I did a mil-spec paint job on the radio with full attention to the finest detail. It came out superb. Icom America asked me to do their current tradeshow display models in olive drab and desert camo. They came out just fine and can be seen at most major ham shows.

I have owned a fair number of radios over the years but the IC-7200 and the IC-7000 are both keepers. I suppose in the shack anything that suits you would be just fine. For my portable work across the globe in all kinds of harsh weather and climates the 7200 is my DX weapon of choice. When transport weight limits allow you to take only one radio with your gear to some God-forsaken spot on earth. Make sure it's a 7200. You will not be disappointed.

73, my friends. Dan WZ1P

BD4WM Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2011 06:46 Send this review to a friend
magical rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
actually,it is a magical and great rig.
My QTH located the center of city,there are so much noise at ordinary times, always S9,
while I have worked 68 DXCC since 10-July-2010.
About 50% QSO worked QRP CW.
especially the function of Filter and TWIN PBT for CW is vy vy powerful.
Really,it's a marvellous rig.

W1BKZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2011 07:27 Send this review to a friend
Great radio.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Enjoy this base/mobile HF radio very much. I don't even miss the "no FM" that a lot of people have complained about. My only wish is that there be a real front panel power level adjustment
instead of a menu item.
Sensitivity, selectivity, and IF digital processing are great.
The radio is "human engineered" as opposed to one button doing fifteen different operations, if you catch my drift.....
LDG makes an auto tuner that works really well, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Recommend you pick one up.

K1TWH Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2011 13:44 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
___I’ve used the 7200 for a month now. I’ve had a chance to use just about all its features. All have worked as advertised. The Soft and Sharp DSP filter options are just that, unlike the IC-7000‘s I’ve used, soft sounds wider, not narrower. The manual notch is outstanding. While the AGC time constants are fixed, I find the decay values chosen by Icom for fast and slow quite acceptable. The AGC is too quick to respond to popping noises, so you need to experiment with NB threshold and width, & I have come to settings that I’m happy with. Unlike the FT-950, this radio actually includes buttons for digital noise reduction and automatic notch filter, no fishing around the menu system just to turn them on or off. If you’d like to hear more lows in the RX audio, follow DG2IAQ’s recommendations to augment C1089. The digital mode and CW filters are actually quite good & very easily adjusted. The ergonomics of the keypad, while different, are well thought out. The current HM-36 mic (from China) has weak audio because a 22k ohm resistor was erroneously installed where a 2.2k ohm.resistor is indicated in Icom’s design. Repair this resistor’s value and the HM-36 has proper audio. I have had best TX audio with the corrected HM-36 & mic gain at ‘60' & the compressor at level ‘1‘. The built in front facing speaker is surprisingly functional and could actually be used, without objection, during portable or field day operations. The back-lighted LCD is easy to read. In the high brilliance mode, daytime sun is not likely to wash out the details, the back-lighting is really bright. In a more expensive radio, there’d be more of the read-out, the 7200's is small but functional.
___The IC-7200 reminds me of the note-worthy IC-735. Neither fit in as Icom’s 'flagship’ radio, but both include everything needed to get the job done at a price point many can afford. The 7200‘s conversion scheme (20 kHz wide 64 MHz IF filter, 6 kHz wide mid filter (455 KHz) and DSP to finish it off, works as well for this radio as it does in the very similar (in conversion design) Ten Tec RX-320, Pegasus and Jupiter designs. While not perfect, it represents one way to achieve very good performance without breaking the bank. If the perfect transceiver could snag 100 QSO’s out of 100 tries (all other things being equal), I’d rate this IC-7200 as a 94 of 100. Only extraordinary signal conditions are going to be the reason this transceiver fails to make the contact. The next station options are better antennas and/or more power, I have found an easy to use radio that fits the bill. My rating is a solid 5. Tom WB1FPA

DSVIPER22 Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2010 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Best robust radio period!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this radio specifically for my deployment to Iraq. It worked great! Small footprint along with my IT-100 ATU and Samlex 23amp P.S. I was able to work all over Europe and as far as Canada and South Korea with this radio and a dipole. It was my first HF rig and because of it's ease of use and great filters I was able to enjoy HF. The USB port on the back of the radio paired beautifully with HRD and allowed me to explore the digital world of Ham Radio! A+ Great product! Would buy another!

K4AXF Rating: 4/5 Dec 7, 2010 10:27 Send this review to a friend
K4AXF  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I work 99% CW, mostly QRP, and have had many, many rigs over the 48 years I've been a ham. I'm not a contester but am active in the QRP Fox Hunts (qrpfoxhunt.org).

IC-7200 Pros: Cool-looking, great receiver and excellent DSP system, 6 KHz roofing filter, makes a nice BCL-SWL receiver with addition of an external speaker. I bought my IC-7200 used but in like-new condition for $825 - a great price! It's a fine CW rig and seems to work fine on SSB as well. The display, while small and minimal compared to a lot of rigs these days, provides all the information I need. Semi-QSK works fine.

IC-7200 Cons: No CW memories, loud T/R relay (necessitates headphones use in full QSK mode). The display is small - possibly an issue for mobile installation.

My previous rig was a IC-756ProIII. The IC-7200 has a better receiver - narrower roofing filter (6 KHz vs. 15Khz), improved DSP implementation, and doesn't require as much current.

I would recommend this rig to anyone who prefers a simpler, yet highly capable, rig.

WZ3O Rating: 4/5 Dec 3, 2010 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Nice HF SSB rig.. Lotta' rig for the $$$  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Can't give it the 4.7 that I'd like to......but that's the eHam rating system for ya'.......................................................
Now to the rig.......
.....Good sized, well built, good sound from smallish front firing speaker, hears well, good reports, IF filters work well, intuitive controls, minimal menu layers, 0.5ppm frequency stability, manual notch is awesome, etc.... a VERY good HF SSB rig, for both shack & "take with"...
....Spent an afternoon playing with rigs @ AES one Friday about a month ago before buying & frankly for the $$ you'd be hard pressed to find a better rig IMHO........
....YES other rigs are "better" if you're willing to "fork over the bucks" E.G. IC 7600 ...AWESOME as it should be for almost 4 times the $$$....
....Oh yeah it doesn't do FM.. BLAH BLAH BLAH; I knew that when I bought it, I read the specs, compared rigs & bought this one....
....What it does do, it does well. Also has a USB port (no not "upper side band" HiHi)for digital modes, Firmware updates or recording a QSO, & Icom future release Internet control software (see Icom website) a "modern" feature that all new rigs should have ...

N4DMW Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2010 16:54 Send this review to a friend
Impressive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio is built like a tank.The filtering works very well, i get good audio reports with the stock mic. This radio cant be beat for the money. I got mine for 969.00 with promo from Giga Parts.

KI5SO Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2010 19:05 Send this review to a friend
Why haven't I gotten one already?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I started out in 1990 with an Icom 228H 2 meter radio. Kept it 17 years and sold it. Never gave me a problem and I always enjoyed the sound and looks of the radio. I have run Kenwoods and Yaesu's since then. They are fine radios, but, you won't find one around $1000 that will beat the receive of the Icom IC 7200. Where have I been? I have wasted all these years putting up with noisy reciever. This 7200 is easy to learn to operate and you can play all day with filters! It is simply a pleasure to listen to. I'm getting good audio reports too. No more turning the radio off just because I only hear hash and trash with everybodys signal. This one gets them out of the mud. If I purchase another radio it will be another Icom. I'm right back where I started out and where I need to be--with Icom!

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2010 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've now had two of these guys, one when they first came out last year (big bucks at Orlando HamCation 2009!) and more recently its replacement after a brief flirtation with an IC-746PRO... rugged, simple, limited menus, AMAZINGLY EASY DIGITAL SETUPS and fast connections to Ham Radio Deluxe for Windows-based rig control... all in all an amazingly rugged, easy to use radio with a truly great DSP and filter setup that eliminates nearly all interference of all kinds.. if I had a dashboard large enough to accomodate the mobile mount, I'd be using it for HF mobile. A great value for the $$ invested! de KK8ZZ