Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-7200 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7200
ICOM IC-7200 Reviews: 186 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1099.95
Description: Compact DSP IF HF/50 MHz transceiver.
First shown at Tokyo hamfair August 2007
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7200/index.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7200.

BG8VZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2011 04:33 Send this review to a friend
A excellent radio!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am a new hand on HF band .Consider my budget and read some review of it ,I decided to buy it.It cost me 7350 yuan(about $1150 dollars) in China with the handle .It is my first HF radio ,I found that it works well from 7MHz to 28MHz by using a antenna tunner .I always operate on SSB and CW ,PSK31,Its DSP works very well and can separate weak signal from different strong signal .It's very easy to operate without reading the manual .It's compact construction fit me well, I always use it on field day .7200 can use in heavy duty such as 100W for hours.This radio is easy to connect to windows operatioin system by use a USB A/B cable .With HRD and DM780,it can easy operate on PSK31 and RTTY .Compared with IC-7000,it is more cooller when used several hours latter. This radio's display is simple and you can find the most information on it . By the way ,this radio have a function can read the display in English .I like this function .
I like this radio and recommend to the people who with finite budget and want to buy a steady radio .

KG4GPJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2011 13:13 Send this review to a friend
A Digital Dream  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the IC-7200 since January, 2010. It's now my primary HF rig, as it replaced a Kenwood TS-870. The built-in USB port makes digital operations, especially sound card modes, quite easy as only a USB cable from the rig to the PC is required. Full rig control is easily accomplished with a program like Ham Radio Deluxe (I have no idea why the previous "Field Day" poster claimed CI-V was also required for rig control of the 7200 - it's NOT!) I use it mostly on PSK-31 and SSB. I'm giving it a "5" because it does exactly everything I wanted it to do and more. Perhaps an internal antenna tuner would be nice, but I've good better external tuners with wider matching range than an internal tuner can provide. It's a great rig for field deployment and EMCOMM use.

KC8HXO Rating: 4/5 Jul 6, 2011 18:06 Send this review to a friend
Good rig.....  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As to previous review; You do NOT need both USB and CI-V for rig control. Only ringing I get is in CW filters set below 150Hz. You may have other issues if you cannot resolve those problems.
Ok, on to my feelings:
I like the rig. It is sold at a good price point for the level of performance I have received. Only semi-weather-sealed rig I know of for HF that isn't commercial (read: lotsa $$). Slightly different interface for band changes takes some getting used to, but it works fine. Yes, it DOES suffer from the AGC overload to short duration pulse noise, causing "buckshot" on the Rx signal, but can be mostly alleviated by judicious application of the noise blanker, as well as turning the AGC OFF when copy is marginal. Too bad, it keeps the rig from making a 5 on my list. (Please see NC0B, Rob Sherwood's review of the IC-7000 for more information on this phenomenon.) The USB interface for rig control/data modes is excellent. I make it a habit of NOT marking down equipment for NOT having features it wasn't advertised to have. This is a GREAT radio for the money.

KC5LVW Rating: 3/5 Jul 6, 2011 07:50 Send this review to a friend
A bit let down  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Looking at previous reviews, I'm hesitant to post. I bought a 7200 for Field Day this year as it our custom to try a new rig at Field Day. We put the 7200 up against the Kenwood 590, Ten Tec Eagle, & a IC-746Pro. It did not perform well.`

The standard USB connection turned out to be for audio in & out to the PC only, anything else (rig control) still had to be done with the old CT-17 interface. Horrible CW ringing was heard in all filter combos. Even though the rig has all of metering needed, the display looks like it uses one pixel to show the meter level & is very hard to read. For such a nice, rugged, "Field" ready enclosure, I think they should have made room to include an internal tuner.

Now for the good. Ergonomics appears fine & thoughtful. RX is very sensitive. Very sturdy, ready for portable ops. USB does make audio in & out of PC easy. NB actually works. DSP NR seems to be good or at least the same as other modern day rigs.

I hate to give it a 3 but it seems "average" to me compared to others on the market right now. The rack handles are a nice touch but why charge $70 & make it an option? Dollar for dollar, the Kenwood TS-480SAT is a better buy & I run an all ICOM shack. My 7200 has been run as the primary 6M station since Field Day & seems to be well suited for that role.

Good Luck,
KC5LVW

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2011 14:06 Send this review to a friend
Great compact radio.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second 7200. My first one was an early model which had a few issues. It appears that Icom has fixed all of the early problems and I must say this is a really nice radio. I only work cw and this rig blows the socks off the venerable 718. I did a and b testing between my K3 and the 7200. With really awful conditions the K3 won by a hair, but not a $2k hair!! The 7200 has excellent build quality with a simple menu system. I have owned many radios and firmly believe that a radio is like a car. A new Jag and a new Camry will get you to the same destination but the Jag may be more fun to drive. I highly recommend the 7200 if you are short on desk space and not big on a deep menu radio. The 7200 has been very enjoyable to use as my daily driver.

WD0BC Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2011 10:15 Send this review to a friend
Simply amazing EARS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Over the last 25+ years I have listened to many "receivers". From the old SP-600 in the 60's I have been facinated with RECEIVERS in general. Whenever I come in contact with any tranceiver I judge it on its "ears".

As a CW man I am interested in "FILTERING" out the crud....My old elmer K0KBD (SK) "learnt" me to pickout the signal I want and just work them years ago....any "FILTERS" are a bonus but MANY improvements have come along in my short 34 years in ham radio....THIS ICOM 7200 is one of if not the greatest "EAR" I have ever listened to.

The incident that pushed my review over the top came last evening on 20 CW working back East to CT. about 9pm. The band was ripe with QRN and soft but the 7200 did the job with flying colors!

I was able to get all the filters and bandpasses tuned properly which made made for "arm chair" copy for an hour or so.

What a BEAUTIFUL experience made even better AFTER the event when I opened all the rigs "gizms" back wide open to see what the band really sounded like.

I AM HOOKED...I recommend the 7200 for CW to anyone who wants a well built semi-portable rig that does CW extreamly well...

On the transmit side it is also full bore 100W or adjustable to QRP standards...best of both worlds....

In closing I will leave the SSB and VHF reviews to the folks that work those modes and frequencies but as for me I REALLY like this IC 7200 for MY needs and wants!

73's

WD0BC

IF you

SM6XUN Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2011 13:36 Send this review to a friend
No1 budget transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned the IC-7200 for a few days now and i'm very impressed by the radio in pretty much every aspect, not only the technical point of view also the ergonomics and fun to operate is at top.
I owned a IC-718 which i regretfully sold a few years ago, i were almost about to buy me another one again but i got this instead and i do not regret it in any way, although i still like the IC-718!

I have had a IC-725, IC-718, FT-897, FT-857, FT-847, IC-706mkiig and a few others, none of them were this good as receiver, not even with filters..

This might not be the rig for the contester, but you get a very competent no-nonsense station with a very good receiver for not a lot of money, the USB-connection and the built in soundcard just makes it a joy to use with Ham Radio Deluxe, the absense of FM gives you a very good receiver instead.
-You want more knobs and buttons? buy a FT-950 instead but imho you'll get a slightly less good receiver.

K5RIX Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2011 21:54 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Receiver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I put my bought-new IC-7200 on the air 23 July, 2010, the same day I was fiddling with it up in San Antonio at KCOMM. Right off the bat, with default settings, the receive audio is gorgeous. Unlike the FT-950, you can open wide the '7200 receiver on a strong AM signal and (admittedly with a decent external speaker) enjoy pretty high-fidelity sound, and total intelligibility, much like the Ten-Tec Jupiter. Unlike the Jupiter, the '7200 has a manual notch filter (MNF) which, in combination with the twin pass-band tuning, gives an unbeatable ability to defeat noise and interference. And this is before using the digital NR or NB. Juggling the MNF with the twin pass-band tuning, it is possible to isolate almost ANY little signal on CW. This is impressive stuff. I also have an IC-706MKII in my station arsenal, so FM isn't an issue with me. The display is compact and concise, which I prefer over the gaudy displays of some other rigs. The radio itself is compact, and fits really well with my small-yet-capable station setup. I operate 100% CW on HF, so phone types may think otherwise. The relay clacking on full QSK has been way over-reported; it's drowned out easily by the side tone even at low volume. The menu system is very easy to learn. I REALLY like this radio. It is simple to operate, and is capable of outstanding receiver performance.

VE7OTD Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2011 22:28 Send this review to a friend
Very happy with mine.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Had it for almost a year now and still love it.
The IF DSP is very nice, especially in digital modes. You can easily isolate a single PSK signal from a crowded band. Wasn't too impressed with the stock microphone; but with a Heil GM-5 attached I get very good reports with this rig. The monochrome display is somewhat boring compared to the IC-7000, but still has everything you need. This rig does it's job and serves me well.

N9OPI Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2011 14:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent ,easy to use  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Twin pbt work's great,like the anf&mnf,take's care of most qrm.Had other unit's with the big
screen's,like the layout an ease of this unit
has no tuner,I use a palstar AT-500.This 7200