Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7200 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7200
ICOM IC-7200 Reviews: 219 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1099.95
Description: Compact DSP IF HF/50 MHz transceiver.
First shown at Tokyo hamfair August 2007
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7200/index.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7200.

G4OER Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2013 12:20 Send this review to a friend
great rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having worked around the problem I had with hot switching my amp I can now say that I think the rig is very good value for money. Does everything most people want from a modern radio.

KB4YHO Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2013 04:45 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
OK so I was looking for a back up rig and have had all the usual cast of characters like IC7000, 706mkII, FT897, TS480 etc. Never knew about this Icom 7200 as it appears to be the red headed step child in their HF family. Went to HRO to get a closer look and wow this 7200 is a sleeper. I tried it on every antenna and band that was working. I had a FT5000 next to it for comparison and all I can say is the 7200 heard everything that the FT5000 did. Further the 7200 appears at first to have a slightly noisey receiver, not so after tweaking the various filter settings as well as the great IF DSP and excellent noise blanker system. Removing the covers is a snap and this thing is built pretty stout. The 7200 has the general appearance of a military man pack and sports a liquid resistant front panel. The controls are arranged in a fashion of the most used with the usual menus and double function keypad. I really like the dual PBT control as it works very effectively, as does the ANF. The other thing I noticed is the DSP in this rig sounds better than my ProIII and the filters have better overall performance. The NB works better too. The DSP chips are of a much newer design so I should expect as much. Anyway this rig is one of those you don't hear a lot about because it just plain performs. Costs way less than most others and is definitely fighting well above its weight. Buy one and put handles on it just like the big rigs.....Ho Ho

AA4AJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2013 17:49 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the IC-7200 as a backup radio. I have enjoyed using it's features and find my time being split between this radio and my primary (IC-7410). The menus are easy to use. The radio has a quality look and feel. It is obviously meant to be used as a portable radio as it is very compact and has options that lend it to that sort of use. Congfiguring this radio is a little different from my other in that there are many menu options for little used features and most buttons are multi-functional. You set it and forget it. As you get beyond that, use becomes very intuitive and you quickly learn to use the buttons and menus. There are no clicks but, the fans start immediately. They are not objectionable but, you send and they start. The radio does not get hot. I think ICOM has done a great job making this an affordable and feature packed radio for the beginner or seasoned ham.

I submit these reviews because I find that I depend on them and their accuracy. I hope this helps you make a decision.

VA2DV Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2013 14:41 Send this review to a friend
best kept secret  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have tried several models of HF rigs in the past 10 years including basic ,mid-range and hi-end.
I never found a good combination of portability , receiver performance and sturdiness along all thoses radios.I changed my mind with the 7200. The receiver specs are real good even compared to actual mid-size radios.The IF-DSP filters are razor sharp and the NR is very effective. I have tried long 100% duty cycle transmission and the radio barely get warm.A big step-up from my tiny IC-7000 overheater. Many buttons serves 2 or 3 fonctions so you dont need the access the menu frequently.
The USB connection is just plain fun. No more interface boxes. They say it's a starter rig in the ad but that's not true.I have 25 years experience in ham radio and RF design and this is no starter rig. Good job Icom !

KD7XH Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2013 11:09 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This rig works great. The first reciver that the noise blanker works as hoped. To zero beat a cw station, just switch to ssb, then zero beat the station then switch back to cw and the station will be properely tuned in +- a few Hertz. This works on other Icom radios ( ic-703, IC-718 and IC-7200). The other feature I like is that there only two screens to access and both are easy to get to. The 3 filters are each easy to adjust and that is great. For tuning up a antenna coupler the SWR meter works deown to 5 watts, thus saving the finals during tune up. The power is easily to adjust with one button and one knob.

WA2HIP Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2013 19:03 Send this review to a friend
So Great at A Great Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this just over 1 week ago. (My Christmas gift to myself).

It is built rugged like a tank, yet compact.
All buttons and knobs have a great feel. This includes the running knob which is as "smooth as silk".

The operation of the transceiver is fairly straight forward. I would suggest reading the manual FIRST. Then practice with the features including the menus. THEN, read the manual again and practice more.

The menu organization is quite-well-structured.

I use it on SSB, CW and digital modes (PSK, RTTY, Olivia, etc.). With digital modes one needs to be aware of the transmitted audio bandwidth. I keep the output audio between 500Hz and 2500Hz. If you opearate outside of this you will see a sharp fall off in power output.

The built-in USB interface is great. For personal reasons I prefer to use my Signalink as adjusting the receive and transmit audio levels is a bit easier. It is merely a personal preference.

The dual-passband-tuning is great to eliminate unwanted signals in digital modes. Additionally, the manual-notch-filter is a great addition to eliminate the unwanted signal. Together the 2 types of filters are awesome.

The output is rated at 100 watts, but I am seeing about 115 watts on 2 different watt meters.

The internal fan is very quiet. One needs to listen closely to hear it. It appears to be well-cooled as it only gets slightly warm with heavy digital use.

T/R relay is very quiet

In SSB I get great audio reports. BTW, I am using the Icom SM-6 mike. The compression is useful and I still get great audio reports when using it.

I should note that my previous rig was an Icom 725 (now in semi-retirement/reserve), and prior to that an SB-101.

The 7200 was easy to interface with HRD/DM-780 and my prefered choice (personal) of FLRig/FLDigi.

My only regret is that I did not buy the 7200 years ago.

I salute Icom's design of this rig. It is a super price/performance ratio

G0APM Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2012 15:47 Send this review to a friend
Quality Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's not often you buy a piece of gear that seems just right and truly exceeds your expectations. In my case the Icom IC-7200 has just done that, it's an impressive performer in every way.

Don't be fooled by the conservative appearance and compact size, this rig is packed with advanced features that seem to work just as you would like them to, it's a well conceived and competent radio.

No point going into detail regarding features, it does everything it's supposed to.

As you guessed, I think it's a terrific rig.

I just wish Icom would do something with the HM-36 mic, we're all tired of having to modify them, I'll say no more.

If your into BIG with lots of knobs and want to try a small radio this is the one to go for.

KK7XE Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2012 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Quality Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been a year since last review, and yes, I am very happy with every aspect of the radio. Some folks can nit pick a radio to death, but it's usually stuff that they know about before they even buy a radio, so what's the point. It does not have an internal tuner, but I always enjoy an outboard tuner so, no big deal. Most hams know about the newer HM-36 mic that comes with the radio and the fact it does not work as well as the older ones from Japan. Get the desk mic or have one of the mods done. No limit to the receive section. Seems no matter how busy a band gets I can filter the signal to copy fine. I work CW more than the other modes, and it's a pleasure to use. I also enjoy Short wave listening, and it's a great SW receiver. I use an external speaker, as most do, and it sounds great. I guess I should touch on the fact that it does not have FM, but I knew that. No problem. There are a lot of very nice radio's on the market, and you can beat them all up, and at times, we get one that does have some factory faults. Well, that happens at times, be it a radio, vehicle or what ever. Anyway, the 7200 for me, has been a quality radio and one I will have for a long time. It will be interesting to see how the IC-7100 plays out once it's released. Thanks for reading.

VK3MEG Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2012 11:01 Send this review to a friend
great value very happy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like most hams am on a small budget my faithful ic725 died I only had an ft101ee a great rig but tiresome to use all the time. so the quest began for a budget replacement. after much searching the ic 7200 kept coming up for value ease of use and connectivity to the computer.
well Im not disappointing I'm very happy the price was great a 5 year warranty (in australia) and actually using the rig was so easy. menu's are very easy no need for quick reference checker 5 min read of manual and off we go. the filters do great work the pre amp is strong and the attenuator is excellent . I got mine with the ldg it100 auto tuner which worked with the rig making tuning very easy and also got the the sm-30 mic my modulation reports are great with basic settings comp level 5 mic gain 80%. there will be no need for me to upgrade radio until I make the step up to some thing like the ic7600 if I ever do. construction is solid and by all report they are very reliable and forgiving. dont miss judge this understated rig. all the 5/5 reviews are justified. only issue is no fm but I dont use fm anyway. it is a little big for mobile but that wont stop me taking in . infact I'm considering the purchase of a second 7200 for that use.
cheers
vk3meg
steve

KK4CUL Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2012 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Amazing performer for price!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've been a general for a year now, so keep that in mind. But so far, this is my favorite rig I have personally used.

I started off as a tech using a President HR-2600 last summer when 10 was WIDE open. Worked ok for a tech, but lacking. I then inherited a friendsí fatherís Kenwood TS-830s for a STEAL of a price. It had a few issues, but I got my first taste of a REAL HF rig and I learned to tune and peak the tubes. As much as I loved the build quality and audio (plus the >100 watts out!), I tired of tuning the finals so often (combined with tuning my manual tuner). So I got an Icom IC-706 -- more portable -- and I didn't have to tune any finals! This was nice, but there was no DSP on it and it was kind of small.

After lots of research, I fell in love with the IC-7200. I loved the looks, the layout, the features, easy digital modes, IF DSP, filtering, etc. During the time I was selling my other gear, I found an IC-7200 for 725$ shipped!

The 7200 arrived in great condition and I didn't even need to read the manual. I had it figured out in about an hour of playing, and loved every minute of it. The front firing speaker sounds GREAT compared to the 706, but not quite as good as the 830s. The IF DSP (NR) is a HUGE improvement for me and the best I've heard for the price. The Noise Blanker actually removes noise from large appliances around the neighborhood, as well as line noise. The menu system is intuitive, and the button layout is great. The three variable filter settings are a great bonus, and the Twin PBT blew my friends mind when we went backpacking when I could reject a carrier and other QRM on mine, but his 857 was buried in noise. Digital modes were new to me, so configuring HRD & DM780 took a bit, but the rig is truly plug and play.

The ONLY qualm I have is the cheapo Chinese mike. It really does struggle to modulate over 60 watts, with mic gain at 100 and compression on. I have replaced one of the resistors in it with a lower value, but the audio still could be more powerful.

Bottom line:, build quality is solid and the rig is FUN to operate. The filtering and features do exactly what they are supposed to, and for the price, you'll be hard pressed to find more. I canít believe I got this thing for the price, and I wonít be looking to "upgrade" anytime soon. 73!