Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-7200 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7200
ICOM IC-7200 Reviews: 214 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1099.95
Description: Compact DSP IF HF/50 MHz transceiver.
First shown at Tokyo hamfair August 2007

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7200.

WA2HIP Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2013 19:03 Send this review to a friend
So Great at A Great Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this just over 1 week ago. (My Christmas gift to myself).

It is built rugged like a tank, yet compact.
All buttons and knobs have a great feel. This includes the running knob which is as "smooth as silk".

The operation of the transceiver is fairly straight forward. I would suggest reading the manual FIRST. Then practice with the features including the menus. THEN, read the manual again and practice more.

The menu organization is quite-well-structured.

I use it on SSB, CW and digital modes (PSK, RTTY, Olivia, etc.). With digital modes one needs to be aware of the transmitted audio bandwidth. I keep the output audio between 500Hz and 2500Hz. If you opearate outside of this you will see a sharp fall off in power output.

The built-in USB interface is great. For personal reasons I prefer to use my Signalink as adjusting the receive and transmit audio levels is a bit easier. It is merely a personal preference.

The dual-passband-tuning is great to eliminate unwanted signals in digital modes. Additionally, the manual-notch-filter is a great addition to eliminate the unwanted signal. Together the 2 types of filters are awesome.

The output is rated at 100 watts, but I am seeing about 115 watts on 2 different watt meters.

The internal fan is very quiet. One needs to listen closely to hear it. It appears to be well-cooled as it only gets slightly warm with heavy digital use.

T/R relay is very quiet

In SSB I get great audio reports. BTW, I am using the Icom SM-6 mike. The compression is useful and I still get great audio reports when using it.

I should note that my previous rig was an Icom 725 (now in semi-retirement/reserve), and prior to that an SB-101.

The 7200 was easy to interface with HRD/DM-780 and my prefered choice (personal) of FLRig/FLDigi.

My only regret is that I did not buy the 7200 years ago.

I salute Icom's design of this rig. It is a super price/performance ratio

G0APM Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2012 15:47 Send this review to a friend
Quality Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's not often you buy a piece of gear that seems just right and truly exceeds your expectations. In my case the Icom IC-7200 has just done that, it's an impressive performer in every way.

Don't be fooled by the conservative appearance and compact size, this rig is packed with advanced features that seem to work just as you would like them to, it's a well conceived and competent radio.

No point going into detail regarding features, it does everything it's supposed to.

As you guessed, I think it's a terrific rig.

I just wish Icom would do something with the HM-36 mic, we're all tired of having to modify them, I'll say no more.

If your into BIG with lots of knobs and want to try a small radio this is the one to go for.
KK7XE Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2012 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Quality Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been a year since last review, and yes, I am very happy with every aspect of the radio. Some folks can nit pick a radio to death, but it's usually stuff that they know about before they even buy a radio, so what's the point. It does not have an internal tuner, but I always enjoy an outboard tuner so, no big deal. Most hams know about the newer HM-36 mic that comes with the radio and the fact it does not work as well as the older ones from Japan. Get the desk mic or have one of the mods done. No limit to the receive section. Seems no matter how busy a band gets I can filter the signal to copy fine. I work CW more than the other modes, and it's a pleasure to use. I also enjoy Short wave listening, and it's a great SW receiver. I use an external speaker, as most do, and it sounds great. I guess I should touch on the fact that it does not have FM, but I knew that. No problem. There are a lot of very nice radio's on the market, and you can beat them all up, and at times, we get one that does have some factory faults. Well, that happens at times, be it a radio, vehicle or what ever. Anyway, the 7200 for me, has been a quality radio and one I will have for a long time. It will be interesting to see how the IC-7100 plays out once it's released. Thanks for reading.
VK3MEG Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2012 11:01 Send this review to a friend
great value very happy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like most hams am on a small budget my faithful ic725 died I only had an ft101ee a great rig but tiresome to use all the time. so the quest began for a budget replacement. after much searching the ic 7200 kept coming up for value ease of use and connectivity to the computer.
well Im not disappointing I'm very happy the price was great a 5 year warranty (in australia) and actually using the rig was so easy. menu's are very easy no need for quick reference checker 5 min read of manual and off we go. the filters do great work the pre amp is strong and the attenuator is excellent . I got mine with the ldg it100 auto tuner which worked with the rig making tuning very easy and also got the the sm-30 mic my modulation reports are great with basic settings comp level 5 mic gain 80%. there will be no need for me to upgrade radio until I make the step up to some thing like the ic7600 if I ever do. construction is solid and by all report they are very reliable and forgiving. dont miss judge this understated rig. all the 5/5 reviews are justified. only issue is no fm but I dont use fm anyway. it is a little big for mobile but that wont stop me taking in . infact I'm considering the purchase of a second 7200 for that use.
KK4CUL Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2012 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Amazing performer for price!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've been a general for a year now, so keep that in mind. But so far, this is my favorite rig I have personally used.

I started off as a tech using a President HR-2600 last summer when 10 was WIDE open. Worked ok for a tech, but lacking. I then inherited a friendsí fatherís Kenwood TS-830s for a STEAL of a price. It had a few issues, but I got my first taste of a REAL HF rig and I learned to tune and peak the tubes. As much as I loved the build quality and audio (plus the >100 watts out!), I tired of tuning the finals so often (combined with tuning my manual tuner). So I got an Icom IC-706 -- more portable -- and I didn't have to tune any finals! This was nice, but there was no DSP on it and it was kind of small.

After lots of research, I fell in love with the IC-7200. I loved the looks, the layout, the features, easy digital modes, IF DSP, filtering, etc. During the time I was selling my other gear, I found an IC-7200 for 725$ shipped!

The 7200 arrived in great condition and I didn't even need to read the manual. I had it figured out in about an hour of playing, and loved every minute of it. The front firing speaker sounds GREAT compared to the 706, but not quite as good as the 830s. The IF DSP (NR) is a HUGE improvement for me and the best I've heard for the price. The Noise Blanker actually removes noise from large appliances around the neighborhood, as well as line noise. The menu system is intuitive, and the button layout is great. The three variable filter settings are a great bonus, and the Twin PBT blew my friends mind when we went backpacking when I could reject a carrier and other QRM on mine, but his 857 was buried in noise. Digital modes were new to me, so configuring HRD & DM780 took a bit, but the rig is truly plug and play.

The ONLY qualm I have is the cheapo Chinese mike. It really does struggle to modulate over 60 watts, with mic gain at 100 and compression on. I have replaced one of the resistors in it with a lower value, but the audio still could be more powerful.

Bottom line:, build quality is solid and the rig is FUN to operate. The filtering and features do exactly what they are supposed to, and for the price, you'll be hard pressed to find more. I canít believe I got this thing for the price, and I wonít be looking to "upgrade" anytime soon. 73!
W1WOW Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2012 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Solid - Commerical Grade Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I gave the IC-7200 a solid 5 as it does all that it claims it would. The USB is wonderful for the digital modes - no easy! Like we all do before purchasing a new or new/used rig - I did a lot of reading. I must stay that I had read a good deal about the robustness of this rig but once it arrive and I was able to witness for myself - this is a well constructed radio. Everything I had read was true. Its build quality is robust. The receiver is sensitive and easy on the ears with the variety of filtration and DSP. I was also surprised how nice the buttons feel to the push. They are solid and have a nice quality feel to them. I seem to be getting good reports with the stock made in China HM-36 hand mic - so I may hold off on sending it away to be moded. It is true that the rig can be controlled with just a USB cable. I have been using HRD with the IC-7200 and it's just one cable, a USB cable period for PSK31, etc. No audio cables nothing... one USB cable. How nice - no more rigblaster and 3.5mm cable running to and from the sound card, etc. That is such a huge plus...alone.

Nice nice nice rig... pleased.
W7USN Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2012 14:24 Send this review to a friend
Solid Rig For The Money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first 7200 in December 2008 and was impressed from the get go. The second one arrived in April 2009. My only complaint was the audio from the Chinese HM-36. Damn shame to cheapen an otherwise great rig with that mic. After the mic mod, all is well. No problems with either one and lots of HF and 6 meter SSB work with both. I particularly like the enclosed design as I live in the desert and have had to open and clean most other rigs about twice a year due to the dusty environment. Would recommend it to anyone looking for a good all around HF/6 rig.

73 John
K2JX Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2012 06:27 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I guess like most Hams my age 65+ licensed many decades we've had many radios over the years. I've owned high and low end models from the Big 3, Ten-Tec and Collins. My present high end rig has been a $3000 disappointment as were models before them. Maybe it's just me, but I've decided that all I really need is a 100w radio, with DSP that works, a minimum of bells and whistles, menus and settings.

That being the case I "stumbled" on the Icom 7200. I've owned Icom gear before for 2m and presently an Icom 706MK-2G installed in my pickup truck that works great after 10 years of constant mobile use. So, reading the reviews here on e-Ham I took the chance and bought a new Icom 7200. Opening the box one sees a military looking radio, all black, well made.

Installation was completed in a few hours, mostly consumed by reading the manual and setting up the filter widths. I work 99% CW on 30m, so off to 30m I go. Shock and awe ? Yes, this $1000 radio works better I think, and it's far easier to use than my $3000 multi menu, so-so performing for the money big box radio. The filtering, noise reduction, selectivity just perfect.

One USB cable between radio & PC, running Ham Radio Deluxe, down load the Icom USB driver, your "on". Simple, you bet. I am very happy with my "new" rig, no it won't please all if you want more options than the 7200 comes with. But will you use them, or need them ? In closing the 7200 is a great buy, works extremely well, takes up 1/2 the space of my big box radio, reasonably priced new in box. I can't post any "Cons" and that's saying something !

73 de K2JX
G0UOO Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2012 01:46 Send this review to a friend
Update - Three Years On  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this rig for three and a half years now, and I'm still very pleased with it. The receiver is truly first-rate (especially for the money) and the DSP is as good as it gets, albeit without the fancy graphics of the big rigs. The transmit audio is poor with the supplied mike, but using an SM-30 I get excellent reports. I have found the TX to be very tolerant of mike gain and compressor settings, and put this down to the VOGAD on the mike input. Unlike some ops, I have no problem getting full drive on SSB and can get the ALC to end-stop if I really wind things up. Even at this level the rig doesn't seem to "go over the top" regarding distortion or splatter. Given this, I've formed the opinion that the IC-7200 may be a commercial design in a ham radio wrapper.

Would I buy another one? Yes!
AE7VT Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2012 13:05 Send this review to a friend
Best Multi-purpose Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Before purchasing only me 2nd "new" radio in 20 years, I investigated this rig and two others before making my decision to buy the IC-7200. After doing so, I was convinced that this was the best one and for a very fair investment.

The on-board USB port is a very nice addition although my old computer didn't want to install the driver until the second attempt. It really make using the digital modes quick and easy and, you can also control many cunctions of the radio through just this USB cable.

What caught my attention was that I would not need to buy 'filters' for this rig and could customize these filters via front panel controls for all modes. They can also be easy adjusted 'on the fly' as needed. The filter shape can be sharp or soft as well. The PBT enhances weak signal work by eliminating adjacent interference.

One item also stood out was the Noise Blanker and Noise Reduction that is adjustable from front panel controls and both of the actually work as they advertise unlike other Mfg. rigs that seem to include them as an afterthought and they are mostly ineffective.

The IC-7200 is just as rugged as it looks. The MARS mod is very simple to accomplish if needed. It will see plenty of use as I can take it with me camping or use for field day and not fear that it will 'bump' something and have to go to the repair shop. If you plan to use yours outside your hamshack, I do recommend you buy the optional front handles which also serve to add a good degree of protection for the front panel controls.

As for 'negatives'? The only inconvenience for me is the absence of band up/dn buttons but, it's just one extra push of a button to accomplish the same thing. I also would like to have FM for 10 and 6 meters but, that would drive up the cost and likely add compromises to what is a great radio as it is. I will be keeping this one for a long time.

This radio generously makes up for the lack of FM or an ATU in the features that it does have and are only found on much more expensive rigs. I personally prefer an external ATU which normally provides much more flexible antenna applications.

My recommendation is that you buy one. You will not be disappointed.