Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7200 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7200
ICOM IC-7200 Reviews: 227 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1099.95
Description: Compact DSP IF HF/50 MHz transceiver.
First shown at Tokyo hamfair August 2007
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7200/index.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7200.

K1TWH Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2017 04:51 Send this review to a friend
Modern day IC-735  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Very functional radio. Those looking for better AM/SSB audio need look no further than mods by DG2IAQ which remove C1091 and place addtional capacitance across the coupling capacitor at C1089 (about 0.47 to 1.0 uF). I think lower cost radios have bass rolled of so they don't sound as good as more expensive radios. Witness the coupling caps in the FT-857/897 are also small, and the FT-450's AF DSP rolls off at 350Hz so the passband tuning can be placed anywhere, but audio below 300Hz won't change.
$ for $, this radio is an excellent choice.

K1VCT Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2017 16:34 Send this review to a friend
It got a 5 because there ain't no 6  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yes, back in production, as of mid-December, I was told by my local radio shop. Should sell for about $900ish, give or take.

Now for the review -

Just got a "pre-owned" IC-7200, and it arrived basically "as new". Except for the Anderson Power Pole pieces on the power cord, you'd never know it had been put into service.

I'm coming from an IC-718, and here's what's first on my mind:

Very quiet reception, made even quieter no doubt by the IF DSP vs the AF DSP of the IC-718.

Its a triple conversion receiver with outstanding selectivity. The IF filters are programmable, over a wide range from something like 3600hz to 50hz. The AM filter can go to about 7500hz (or was it 8000hz?). You can vary the skirt of the filter. <<<--- the variable IF filters, alone, are worth the price paid for this transceiver.

The twin passband tuning beats the single IF shift of the IC-718.

You get manual or automatic notch filter, variable mic compression, three levels of AGC on receive, lots of memories (I don't use 'em but if you do, they're there).

Its a fairly easy to use transceiver, and with any sort of prior experience at all, you'll only have to consult the manual for the finer points (aka, how to set it for CW break mode.. that sort of thing).

Here's what I DON'T like, as compared to my IC-718. While it does have a better sounding front firing speaker, when used with a high fidelity speaker, the IC-718 does a better job for AM (or HF/SW) broadcasts are listened to. Without it being stated, that I could find, what I'm guessing is that the IC-718 has had its audio tailored for a more full range, while the IC-7200 audio is tailored for what you'd need in SSB phone, or CW operation. Not a bad thing, just different. The audio of the IC-7200 is very clear, very articulate for phone use. If you were running an outboard audio device (aka, small amp, high fidelity speakers) the audio is clean enough to allow some contouring with an equalizer.

Next thing I don't like, but its livable, is the band selection, which takes a long press of one button, then a short press of another, in order to select bands. Not a deal breaker. You'd never get annoyed with it, unless you came from an IC-718, which has up/down band select. I don't change bands all the time, so its not too big a thing. I'm just noting the slight annoyance.

The display is smaller, but its not minuscule. The over 50 crowd (me) will want their reading glasses though.

I found my IC-7200 put out just a bit more power than my IC-718, and I don't know if that's the nature of the beast, or just unit variability, or IC-718 defect (or service needed). The IC-7200 puts out very close to the 100 watts stated (on my AWM-30B), vs about 85 from the IC-718 as measured on the same meter. No big deal for me, as I run way less out of the transceiver to drive my amp anyway.

As far as all the "rugged" features go, the IC-7200 weighs a good deal more than the IC-718.

So far, I really like it.

WA2GVA Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2017 07:32 Send this review to a friend
Available Again!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Just found out this fabulous rig is again available
for sale at the major outlets at a great price!
Built like a tank and so easy to use!

KJ4HRH Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2016 00:06 Send this review to a friend
Very Happy  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my first radio. Got it for a great price just before it went permanently out of stock. Operated it for about a year. Exactly what I wanted--small, light, affordable, and good performance. More features than I would ever need but not too complicated for a beginner like me. I chose carefully, and I believe the radio has fully vindicated my decision.

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2016 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Super rig !!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Acquired this rig at xmas 2015 (about 7-months ago). I, only operate digital & CW modes. The built-in filters are great. Sometimes even operate SSB (2%).

The only negative item is the small display-screen, BUT I can even get use to that.

With the low price & performance, overall, I rate this radio 5++++

W0NWT Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2016 08:00 Send this review to a friend
Great and easy to operate  Time owned: more than 12 months
The display is a bit too small. But, it has a better receiver than my Kenwood TS-2000. It will hear signals the Kenwood can't. But the lack of a built in auto tuner is a negative. You can always get an external auto tuner but that means more money. I use it mainly as a second radio for contesting on 6M.

PY1WDS Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2016 07:36 Send this review to a friend
THIS IS MY 3RD. ICOM 7200  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
AS EVER EASY TO BE OPERATE, AND VY GREAT RECEPTION.
ALL YOU NEED WITH AFORDABLE PRICE.
73, PY1WDS.

K2VI Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2016 15:52 Send this review to a friend
A TANK OF A RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great filters , NR , selectivity for 99% of the ham population. It is built to mil spec and will take a beating. I feel this rig was built to outlive the operator. The only thing i can find to complain is the small display but the radio is built to be in a war. What a fine piece of radio gear. GOOD JOB ON THIS ONE ICOM.

KJ4CMA Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2016 17:47 Send this review to a friend
A solid, well made product.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used this rig in a single transceiver setup so I never conducted any one on one tests and I can't tell you that it hears better than X or had people tell me it sounds better than Y but I can tell you that it stands on its own as a good radio. I can also tell you that I have made plenty of contacts with it.

Of course, the highlight of this radio is its ruggedness. A bit much for how I used it to be honest; it has a nice, solid feel to it that almost makes much pricier transceivers feel "cheap". The buttons require firm, positive presses. The tuning knob is very solid. It feels more like a piece of industrial test gear. It's also fairly hefty - The fact that the the bulk of the radio's mass is also the heat sink means that digital ragchews are of no consequence and overheating is not a concern. Fans are extremely quiet.

Front panel controls are fairly intuitive. The menus aren't too deep and aren't that bad for a menu based radio. Filtering works well and is very easily adjusted. Probably not the best radio for serious CW use, but I learned code while I owned this rig (even used it for a practice oscillator) and used it to make my first contacts so I can't complain. Built in USB was a big plus especially for me as a primarily digital user.

I really don't have anything "negative" to say about this radio, mine worked flawlessly and did everything I asked of it. I do think that some of its ruggedness is a bit wasted - it is rather large and not well suited to portability (how rugged does it need to be to sit on a desk?) Adding VHF, an internal ATU, or even an internal battery while keeping the same form factor would be the icing on the cake - but as it stands you could probably pack an IC-706 or FT-857 into a waterproof case and have more functionality in a package roughly the same size and weight. I could, however see this radio shining in a few situations where ruggedness is important but size doesn't matter as much, such as long term camping (hunting camp, trailer camping etc) or on a boat. I could see the lack of FM capability being somewhat of a turn-off for some.

Ultimately I moved on from it not because of anything wrong with it, rather it was just time to try something different! I give it a solid 5 because in my opinion it is a good, well made product.

PA3GQD Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2016 15:33 Send this review to a friend
good radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It gets the five points from rounding. It is somewhere around the 4.75 in my opinion.

Filtering is excellent, especially given the price point at which the radio sold

I like the 'tactical radio look' and don't have the slightest problem with the small display. it perfectly fits this look and gives all info one needs. I like this style of radio and I'm afraid all radio's will have a smartphone glued to their fronts in a short while. Look at the life cycle of smart phones to see what problem I have with that....

I like the fact it just has enough buttons to work the radio without learning a myriade of menu's from the top of ones head. In other words it is easy to operate. Can figure out the radio in a quarter of an hour

CAT is next to perfect. Other radio's I had (and have) cannot f.i. be tuned by dragging the pointer in HRD without clicking and shutting off between frequency steps; the 7200 does it very smooth. Needless to say the USB connection for audio as well as control is wonderfull, no less.

Receive is quiet but audio on CW is... well... not hifi. I even value the FT 897 higher in this respect (with narrow filters) because the 7200 has DSP clicks, pops and warbles at bandwidths in the middle range. Wide open they're not there, very narrow they're not there. They apear at the most usable bandwidths (hundreds of Hz). RF control and -if needed- ATT makes the radio very livable

I miss a spot tone or visual tune indicator in CW. This is a trivial shortcoming but a nuisance all the same. When connected to a computer I use the audio waterfall to see where I am. Otherwise its pure guesswork and it is practically impossible to get a spot tone from the radio.

The SWR meter doesn't work as practical as on some radio's. The SWR meter on the 7200 seems to give a reading at the lower SWRs only, making it difficult to find the dip when hand tuning sometimes

Apart from these drawbacks it is a fantastic radio and I am sorry it is discontinued. It buit a reputation for being a good radio and being very reliable and economic at the same time. I feel the 7300 is not going to replace the 7200. It just isn't the simple, basic workhorse the 7200 is.