Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-7200 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7200
ICOM IC-7200 Reviews: 197 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1099.95
Description: Compact DSP IF HF/50 MHz transceiver.
First shown at Tokyo hamfair August 2007
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7200/index.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7200.

W3DP Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2015 10:10 Send this review to a friend
Great features and performance. Easy to operate. Real value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Terrific little radio. Solid, rugged case. Receiver compares favorably to my TS-590S with good DSP filters, twin passband tuning, excellent NR noise reduction. I like the fast tuning speed button and easy filter bandwidth control. I operate mostly CW and was surprised by the quiet break-in relay. I can't hear it at all. I operate semi QSK, but even in full QSK I could not hear it. It's simple to operate. I had it mastered in 2 days including memory programming which is usually confusing with most radios. SSB audio was reported good but this hand mic has a poor reputation. SSB ops would use a suitable desk mic. A real value at the present $799.95 sale price.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2015 23:01 Send this review to a friend
One of the Best from Icom  Time owned: more than 12 months
Perhaps one of the very best radios that Icom has ever produced. Look at the number of reviews and the rating here on eHam and compare it with others. Sure, the display could be color and larger, but if you want rugged, low price, great audio and great built-in filters and USB connection for digital modes and other kinds of fun, THIS is your radio.

DL4MG Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2015 01:30 Send this review to a friend
Robust , simple, well ... secret tip  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Easy to use , great RX, good TX ( with SM - 30 ), via USB cable Digimodes, robust PA ... what more could you want.

N6SBN Rating: 4/5 Aug 16, 2015 13:09 Send this review to a friend
A Simple, practical transciever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a large Shack Radio and it's a delight to use. But, to take it mountain topping or on field day. Nope. I needed a small rugged travel radio. I chose the 7200 based on build and price. My 7200 sits in a Pelikan box with a battery and Buddipole nearby. It takes 4 minutes to load into the truck.

The Icom 7200 reminds me of my Marine SSB radios. They all have a commercial feel, water resistant build, and large handles. Most have simplified controls. The 7200 is similar.

I'm grateful for the simplified controls because if you don't use a radio every day, you tend to forget. This is less likely with the 7200. I don't want to be on a mountain top using a flash light to read through 68 pages of instructions.

As far as the performance. The USB and sound card works well for Computer interfacing. The radio has been around for awhile so most of the Digital Soundcard programs (FLDIGI, WSJTX) recognize the 7200.

I've run the radio hard for 5 hours and it gets warm.. But never super hot. With the ALC low, I'm getting good signal reports.

The receiver is good for most operations. A K3 it's not. But for practical use, it's better than average. I have the 7100 in my truck. The receiver is similar. The 7100 has all the bells and whistles, The 7200 doesn't.

Even so, on the 7200, you learn to skillfully make the most of the controls.

I needed a simple, rugged, economical transceiver and I'm quite pleased with the 7200. As mentioned, I am glad not to have all the bells and whistles when operating on the mountain top.

AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2015 11:17 Send this review to a friend
Good afordable radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Although I don't own an IC-7200 I have had the chance to test one for one week, its from a friend of mine who left it at home for me to check it up in all bands, modes, features, etc and then teach him how to use it because he is a new ham with no experience.
At simple sight it look ugly and simple like not a professional radio but how far from my first impression I was when I powered it up and tune all bands, I said WOW I was wrong,the RX is very quite, sensitive and selective, with the previous experience of owning several modern Icom radios, I did not need to read the manual, it was easy to figure out how all the knobs are set up.For the price you pay that is less than 800 bucks this is a great investment, only thing missing in this great radio is the monitor so if you like to hear yourself when you TX, then this is not your choice but If you don't care about it, go for it, you won't be disapointed.
Radio feels light but it has an excellent performance comparable with my backup IC-7000.
Even having just one roofing filter of 6Khz, the dynamic range is pretty decent, using the DSP filtering plus the dual PBT I have been able to delete strong stations at just 3 Khz from my operating freq.
The two fans keep the chassis little warm even using it with 100W on CW for long time.
Once again Icom designed and built a good small afordable radio.

N9VMO Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2015 06:41 Send this review to a friend
Looks can be deceiving  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
When I initially started looking for a replacement for my IC-706, I kept passing the 7200 over because I just didn't like the looks. All the pictures I saw had the handles on it which makes it look cheap. I also don't like amber displays as they are too harsh on my eyes.

Then I started pricing radios and looked at the 7200 in a whole different light. It had everything that I was looking for...USB for rig control/digital operations, MARS modifications available (I'm currently the AFMARS SMD for Indiana), not a lot of bells and whistles that I will never use, DSP, ergonomics, the list goes on and on. And with a price tag $500 less than the nearest competitor, well the decision was a no- brainer.

Never had an issue with the hand mic as I am usually working digital modes and when I do work voice, I have an ES-57 studio mic on a boom.

Digital modes are a breeze with the USB connection and rig control is excellent with the last free version of Ham Radio Deluxe.

Those are all the pros, now for the cons.

Still don't like the amber display. If someone would come out with a blue or green display, I would get it in a heartbeat.

The fan noise is quite annoying but I guess I can live with it as it lets me know when I am transmitting when I'm working digital (I usually keep the volume down in the digital modes).

Got the rig from GigaParts and paid the extra $$$ for the MARS mod.

All in all, if I were to get another HF radio, it would be another 7200.

IZ3ZLE Rating: 4/5 Jul 23, 2015 10:17 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good transceiver, good quality, DSP ok, military appearance, robust, easy to use and silent. For less than 1000 euro is a good deal. To use with the microphone SM 30 and a good antenna system.
It gave me a lot of satisfaction.

W0VET Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2015 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Keeps on tickin'  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my 2nd review. Why? Because like the old Timex watch the thing keeps on tickin' after taking a lickin' and it does exactly need it to do. It is rock solid and dependable in home and in the field.

AE5JU Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2015 04:53 Send this review to a friend
Easy to operate  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have experience with three IC-7200s. One is in my portable Field Day/Special Event/Portable kit. I own another 7200 which I have placed in our club station, and the club owns the third IC-7200. It was purchased after club members and a visiting club which shared Field Day with us operated my two IC-7200s. EVERYONE likes operating these radios. Features and performance - I have found nothing to dislike.

G3ZPS Rating: 4/5 May 8, 2015 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Nice radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought secondhand for travelling. Looks, build and ergonomics appealed to me. Didn't want a shiney base station or a shack in a box with compromises. The only thing I did was modify the chinese hand mic, audio reports are now fine with mic gain low and processor 5 or 6. Only marked down because of the IF DSP problems with impulse noise and clicks hitting the AGC. This is well known and Sherwood have published a paper on why it occurs. Its a slightly older radio now so prob best bought used or on a deal. Steve