Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-7200 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7200
ICOM IC-7200 Reviews: 209 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1099.95
Description: Compact DSP IF HF/50 MHz transceiver.
First shown at Tokyo hamfair August 2007
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7200/index.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7200.

KC6WGN Rating: 4/5 Feb 26, 2016 17:11 Send this review to a friend
Missing FM Mode  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
NO FM MODE

KD8BBK Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2016 14:56 Send this review to a friend
Hard to beat  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned my IC 7200 for 9 months now and just love it. My review is based on the cw mode only as it is the only mode I run. The rig has impressed me with its great receiver on selectivity and sensitivity. I have run the radio in congested contest and it performed flawlessly, very easy on the ears and great filtering to pick them out in tight spots. I am also a DX hunter and find the split to work very well and easy to toggle between frequencies. If you are a cw operator you will love the filtering and nr on this radio. I am a QRQ cw guy and find the inboard keyer is just fine and works great. I do take the radio camping and portable and is a great rig for portable. If your a camper you know how you can encounter a lot of noise at the camp ground from power inverter's and such from the RVs throughout the camp ground. Well the NB and NR does a wonderful job to eliminate that noise and the twin PBT tuning works great also.

Just can't say enough about the radio and for the money there is no better radio out there. Lots of people complain about the small display. My answer to that is use HRD and put it on your computer monitor, That should be big enough.

Get one and keep it, you will find yourself gravitating towards it time after time.

All my opinions are based on owning a IC 7410, IC 746, IC 751A, IC 730, IC 718.

Tony KD8BBK

W7ASY Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2016 19:29 Send this review to a friend
two thumbs up  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just saw on Gigaparts that this rig is in its final production run... To bad.. this is a great radio...Good rx, good tx, USB sound card interface... great price! Why get rid of a good thing ..I don't understand.... my only guess is because the IC-7300 is coming out soon... Buy one while you can.....

W6SJP Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2016 17:06 Send this review to a friend
Simply Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my 7200 for over a year now, beat the hell out of it and it still blows all my other gear away.

Maybe this radio was designed for the serious Prepper crowd, but you just can't beat the features for the money.

Pros:
DSP filtering with 51 passband widths, digital twin passband tuning, manual notch filter, keypad entry, dual VFOs, voice synthesizer, 201 memories, 20 dB attenuator, preamp, 6 kHz roofing filter, RIT, scanning, 1 Hz step tuning from 30 kHz to 60 MHz continuous and an all-weather ruggedized case. There just aren't any other rigs out there that have all that for anywhere near the same price.

Cons:
Icom's weird habit of including cheaply-made, terrible-sounding Chinese-made microphones--The HM-36 mic included with my 7200 wasn't just 'bad', it didn't even work! Since Icom would only send you the same toy mic as a replacement, I just did the K7SFN mic mod and now it works the way it should. I have heard though that Icom now quality-checks their HM-36s, but this is just a heads-up.

The Speaker that comes with the 7200 just plain sucks. It has about a 10% dynamic range at best so everything sounds over-compressed and can really grate on the nerves after a while--kinda like a dentist's drill. I use the FP-301 that is part of my FT-301 line and it sounds great. In the field I use my Heil headset and a home-brew outboard speaker and it's fine business with both.

The receiver front end is comparatively nominal, but I found that making good use of common-mode chokes allows the front end to take better advantage of the radio's built-in filtering and is right up there with the top of the line in selectivity and rejection.

Summary: This is just a great little radio all-round and I predict it will become a standard in many shacks for years to come. I use the AH4 remote auto-tuner (which will essentially tune up a pine tree if you want it to) for both portable and fixed use and I highly recommend it for use with your 7200--you will be very happy.

73's To All!

N0RRS Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2016 14:35 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this rig on December 21st from HRO and had it on the bench on December 23rd. I paid a sale price of $780, which was a savings of $220 off the regular price of $1000. Although I have only had the radio a short time, I thought a review was in order. I have been a ham since 1992 and can honestly say this is the best HF+6m rig I have owned so far. What makes it so great? The radio is built on a rugged military style architecture, and therefore has real buttons and knobs for various functions instead of endless menus. Yes, some menus do still exist, but they are mostly for the digital modes or a "set it and forget it" item like VOX or MIC gain. This radio has a twin PBT, both an automatic notch filter(ANF) and a manual notch filter(MNF) along with DSP noise reduction and a noise blanker (NB) that really works. By using these features while listening to a weak signal the operator can eliminate all but the most stubborn QRM interference. Add a built in sound card and USB port for digital interfacing along with a price tag of under $900, and this radio easily rates a 5 in my book. The only drawback that I have to this radio is the size of the display. I used to have an ICOM 718 which had a very large display that could be seen from across the room. This radio has a display about 1/2 as large as the 718, so it took some getting used to for me. But, it is not nearly as small as the Yaesu 897D or that awful tiny Yaesu 857D. So, overall this radio is a keeper. IT'S AWESOME!

K4PVA Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2016 20:58 Send this review to a friend
One of the best ever!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I almost purchased this rig at HRO a couple of years ago but the looks were not appealing. Fast forward a year ago and in reading the reviews I realized that I had missed an opportunity to get a great rig at an excellent price. One problem. They could not be found anywhere. They were sold out and there was a waiting list of months. As luck would have it, a major retailer had them available in November with a little more $$ for the MARS/CAP mod. The IC-7200 has been one of the best rigs on the market! DSP, NR, NB all adjustable and a very good transmitter. I did have one small problem that others have mentioned. Using the USB connection on the rear panel to my computer I could operate FLDIGI and all other modes except WSJT-X. Then a friend of mine mentioned that the problem could be in the usb ports on my computer. So I bought a powered usb hub and plugged it in the cables from the rig and computer. Instantly I saw two more CODEC ports from the software set up menu in the WSJT-X software. Guess what? ALL digital software works perfectly and without and additional interfaces. Perhaps the addition of a powered USB hub between the rig and computer might help others that had this same problem. The IC-7200 is one fantastic rig well worth every penny. It's a keeper.

K6SPY Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2015 16:23 Send this review to a friend
Buy one!   Time owned: more than 12 months
I am very happy with this rig - it has everything I need included as stock, including a built in card for digital modes. Sensitive receiver, working basically anything I can hear except during huge pile ups... working on getting a hex beam and linear to help with that. If you are on the fence about the 718 or this rig, do your homework and get the 7200. It is worth the extra money. You can't beat the current $775 retail price!

KT4WO Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2015 10:17 Send this review to a friend
Very nice..for the price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For $800 bucks this rig can't be beat. Paired with
a LDG tuner what more could one need?

EA2EKH Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2015 08:16 Send this review to a friend
Awesome value  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased one second-hand several months ago.

The main reasons were the flexible DSP IF filtering with the classical Icom PBT controls and the built in USB interface for digital modes. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Performance has been excellent and it's a delight to operate with WSJT-X. And the built in interface for digital modes saves both money and time.

The IF filtering is very well made and it's also a real money saver: no additional expense to add IF filtering options. Set up the filters the way you want, choosing bandwidth and even shape, and enjoy.

If that wasn't enough, it has a very effective DSP notch filter implemented at the IF level capable of supressing a single frequency and offering three bandwidths, and an audio DSP automatic notch filter capable of tracking several tones. An audio noise reduction system, while not miraculous, certainly helps to reduce fatigue.

I still don't know how this rig qualifies as "entry level". The price is correct for an entry level of course, but the features are far from it. It's true that measurements show some compromise in reveiver performance subject to very strong signals, but that's only likely to be a problem for contsters with heavy guns.

PE1MPL Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2015 14:30 Send this review to a friend
Nice Little Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a very fine little radio, and I think at the moment there is no better for the money!
Why? It has some nice futures, a very good adjustable NR and a very fine NB adjustable, and what some people not now is it has two, one normal and one width so you can eliminate the most kind of disturbance. So you can also set fast recovery for the ALC wit lightning or switching peaks on the electricity net.
The adjustable twin PBT (IF passband tuning) works almost fine as a mechanical filter for nearby stations.
The notch filter is superb and auto notch work fine, not so fine as manual notch.
The little speaker has a amazing sound for this little speaker.
All the knobs are simple to use, no difficult menuís.

Are there cons? Yes maybe, the display a little bit lager was nice, the S meter are little dots, but it works and you can see it, and if you cant see it, there is a knob with SPCH and a little key.
When you push the button the little radio white the lady inside speaks the display information, thatís a nice future.

But the IC-7200 is on the end of its manufacture lifetime.
There come a new one in its place, the IC-7300!
Will it be better? I donít know, the time will learn. HI

Is this a five star radio?
For the money, YES IT IS.

73! Have Fun PE1MPL