Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-7200 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7200
ICOM IC-7200 Reviews: 213 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1099.95
Description: Compact DSP IF HF/50 MHz transceiver.
First shown at Tokyo hamfair August 2007
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7200/index.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7200.

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2016 07:00 Send this review to a friend
super rig-just recently obtained !!!t  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Just, obtained rig on a xmas-special on 12/12/2015, at HRO.
Super rig!!!! it has just enough basic features, not having expensive ones (that I don't really need, anyway).
I only operate digital modes (FLDIGI) and do CW mode (by keyboard).
Finally, getting use to all software commands.

Ken KC8Y

KD4UYN Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2016 06:28 Send this review to a friend
Gota Love It  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As a new General, I wanted something with enough features to be useful and something simple to operate. I watched a few You Tube videos on operation and features prior to purchase and decided for the money, it couldn't be beat.

I teamed it with an MFJ939I tuner and an EFHW80-10 long wire antenna strung up about 30 feet high. The combination allowed me to get oo the air quickly. I'm still playing with the features, I am pleased with the results.

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2016 14:03 Send this review to a friend
Superb.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had it about 5 years now. Still looking for something I don't like besides what I mentioned in my first review. (Found about 12 pages below). I think I will upgrade this one to a 5 to make up for the people who mark it DOWN for features it wasn't designed to have. Folks using such mentality would also mark down a Ferrari because it wouldn't pull their 5th wheel RV and haul their family of six along with 2 weeks worth of groceries.

KT4WO Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2016 07:07 Send this review to a friend
Love It!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had it about 3 months now, I run 99% digi modes.

The USB interface is SOOO NICE!!...

I was always a Kenwood man...180/50/450/850,,etc
until the IC-718. While the 718 is not a TS-450SAT, for the price its good. The 7200 is a real step up from the 718 and even the TS-450S.

For $800 bucks you can't go wrong.

KC6WGN Rating: 4/5 Feb 26, 2016 17:11 Send this review to a friend
Missing FM Mode  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
NO FM MODE

KD8BBK Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2016 14:56 Send this review to a friend
Hard to beat  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned my IC 7200 for 9 months now and just love it. My review is based on the cw mode only as it is the only mode I run. The rig has impressed me with its great receiver on selectivity and sensitivity. I have run the radio in congested contest and it performed flawlessly, very easy on the ears and great filtering to pick them out in tight spots. I am also a DX hunter and find the split to work very well and easy to toggle between frequencies. If you are a cw operator you will love the filtering and nr on this radio. I am a QRQ cw guy and find the inboard keyer is just fine and works great. I do take the radio camping and portable and is a great rig for portable. If your a camper you know how you can encounter a lot of noise at the camp ground from power inverter's and such from the RVs throughout the camp ground. Well the NB and NR does a wonderful job to eliminate that noise and the twin PBT tuning works great also.

Just can't say enough about the radio and for the money there is no better radio out there. Lots of people complain about the small display. My answer to that is use HRD and put it on your computer monitor, That should be big enough.

Get one and keep it, you will find yourself gravitating towards it time after time.

All my opinions are based on owning a IC 7410, IC 746, IC 751A, IC 730, IC 718.

Tony KD8BBK

W7ASY Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2016 19:29 Send this review to a friend
two thumbs up  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just saw on Gigaparts that this rig is in its final production run... To bad.. this is a great radio...Good rx, good tx, USB sound card interface... great price! Why get rid of a good thing ..I don't understand.... my only guess is because the IC-7300 is coming out soon... Buy one while you can.....

W6SJP Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2016 17:06 Send this review to a friend
Simply Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my 7200 for over a year now, beat the hell out of it and it still blows all my other gear away.

Maybe this radio was designed for the serious Prepper crowd, but you just can't beat the features for the money.

Pros:
DSP filtering with 51 passband widths, digital twin passband tuning, manual notch filter, keypad entry, dual VFOs, voice synthesizer, 201 memories, 20 dB attenuator, preamp, 6 kHz roofing filter, RIT, scanning, 1 Hz step tuning from 30 kHz to 60 MHz continuous and an all-weather ruggedized case. There just aren't any other rigs out there that have all that for anywhere near the same price.

Cons:
Icom's weird habit of including cheaply-made, terrible-sounding Chinese-made microphones--The HM-36 mic included with my 7200 wasn't just 'bad', it didn't even work! Since Icom would only send you the same toy mic as a replacement, I just did the K7SFN mic mod and now it works the way it should. I have heard though that Icom now quality-checks their HM-36s, but this is just a heads-up.

The Speaker that comes with the 7200 just plain sucks. It has about a 10% dynamic range at best so everything sounds over-compressed and can really grate on the nerves after a while--kinda like a dentist's drill. I use the FP-301 that is part of my FT-301 line and it sounds great. In the field I use my Heil headset and a home-brew outboard speaker and it's fine business with both.

The receiver front end is comparatively nominal, but I found that making good use of common-mode chokes allows the front end to take better advantage of the radio's built-in filtering and is right up there with the top of the line in selectivity and rejection.

Summary: This is just a great little radio all-round and I predict it will become a standard in many shacks for years to come. I use the AH4 remote auto-tuner (which will essentially tune up a pine tree if you want it to) for both portable and fixed use and I highly recommend it for use with your 7200--you will be very happy.

73's To All!

N0RRS Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2016 14:35 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this rig on December 21st from HRO and had it on the bench on December 23rd. I paid a sale price of $780, which was a savings of $220 off the regular price of $1000. Although I have only had the radio a short time, I thought a review was in order. I have been a ham since 1992 and can honestly say this is the best HF+6m rig I have owned so far. What makes it so great? The radio is built on a rugged military style architecture, and therefore has real buttons and knobs for various functions instead of endless menus. Yes, some menus do still exist, but they are mostly for the digital modes or a "set it and forget it" item like VOX or MIC gain. This radio has a twin PBT, both an automatic notch filter(ANF) and a manual notch filter(MNF) along with DSP noise reduction and a noise blanker (NB) that really works. By using these features while listening to a weak signal the operator can eliminate all but the most stubborn QRM interference. Add a built in sound card and USB port for digital interfacing along with a price tag of under $900, and this radio easily rates a 5 in my book. The only drawback that I have to this radio is the size of the display. I used to have an ICOM 718 which had a very large display that could be seen from across the room. This radio has a display about 1/2 as large as the 718, so it took some getting used to for me. But, it is not nearly as small as the Yaesu 897D or that awful tiny Yaesu 857D. So, overall this radio is a keeper. IT'S AWESOME!

K4PVA Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2016 20:58 Send this review to a friend
One of the best ever!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I almost purchased this rig at HRO a couple of years ago but the looks were not appealing. Fast forward a year ago and in reading the reviews I realized that I had missed an opportunity to get a great rig at an excellent price. One problem. They could not be found anywhere. They were sold out and there was a waiting list of months. As luck would have it, a major retailer had them available in November with a little more $$ for the MARS/CAP mod. The IC-7200 has been one of the best rigs on the market! DSP, NR, NB all adjustable and a very good transmitter. I did have one small problem that others have mentioned. Using the USB connection on the rear panel to my computer I could operate FLDIGI and all other modes except WSJT-X. Then a friend of mine mentioned that the problem could be in the usb ports on my computer. So I bought a powered usb hub and plugged it in the cables from the rig and computer. Instantly I saw two more CODEC ports from the software set up menu in the WSJT-X software. Guess what? ALL digital software works perfectly and without and additional interfaces. Perhaps the addition of a powered USB hub between the rig and computer might help others that had this same problem. The IC-7200 is one fantastic rig well worth every penny. It's a keeper.