Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-7200 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7200
ICOM IC-7200 Reviews: 179 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1099.95
Description: Compact DSP IF HF/50 MHz transceiver.
First shown at Tokyo hamfair August 2007
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7200/index.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7200.

K2VI Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2014 17:29 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT DSP FILTERING  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
WOW. For 875.00 this is a deal. The dsp is almost as good as my ts-590. Very quiet receiver and IF DSP. The only downside is no internal tuner however this is a no nonsense radio that will please any seasoned ham operator.I give it an easy 5 star rating. Icom got this one right

W9BKR Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2014 08:09 Send this review to a friend
Great bang for the buck  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought a 7200 recently and now selling it, as I bought another radio and the 7200 isn't being used at all. I really hate to part with it. For around $1000 which I paid for it recently, and the optional handles, etc., it really competes with the big radios in receiver performance. Easy to use, easy to understand, not much more can be said. It is built like a brick and solid as a brick. I just wish the keys and keypads were back lit. The display is plenty large enough and the receive is outstanding. I really hate to part with it, but will likely get another down the road again. They are addictive once you really sit and play with it. You can't go wrong, the price is right and the foot print isn't too small or too large. Great for portable, mobile and base use.

N4SJW Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2014 21:03 Send this review to a friend
Pleasantly surprised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the 7200 for $700 at HRO lightly used. The radio is intuitive and RX if quite good. Paired with an LDG tuner, very versatile radio. I had my sights on the TS-590 and side by side comparison at HRO they were pretty close with the edge going to the Kenwood but for over double what I paid, not worth the 3dB cash loss. Only negative is the DSP, on SSB, audio is muddy to my ears and I rarely use, but it works great on CW. And the voice squelch is actually quite good if you just want to monitor an HF freq without listening to all the noise.

K2PJW Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2014 17:17 Send this review to a friend
Fun Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sold my TS-590 to buy this radio. I wanted a radio that was portable and rugged. It is currently my main rig and I am really enjoying it.

After reading other reviews I decided to order the SM-30 mic at the same time that I ordered the radio. What a combination. The audio is very nice and the mic's small footprint is great on my desk. I still have not used the stock mic.

This radio is currently selling for under $900.00. It offers IF DSP that actually works and many other features that let you customize the radio the way you like. What a great deal.

The USB connection on the rear make computer control and digi modes a breeze.

In my almost 25 years of being licensed I have used many radios and tried even more when I had the chance. The Icom 7200 is in my top three. For ease of use, simple setup, and just plain fun to operate it's a great main radio for my situation.

The only negative I can find is the "small" display screen. But with my PC and Ham radio Deluxe free version it's not an issue.

KC7YRA Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2014 14:36 Send this review to a friend
Surprising radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this unit as a "Field Day, cabin, bored in the woods, need a radio at work" radio.

Once received, the radio was oddly easy to get up and functioning without the manual. I did have to crack the small book open for instructions on accessing the menu system, but that was about it.

Chasing around CW contacts on 40, the radio has an excellent receiver which is quite capable of handling the often crowed conditions found on the bands. Did it handle the rock crushing signals like a mechanically filtered FT-1Billion.2? No, but it was acceptable.

I found the stock filters very capable for general operating. With a WIDE-MEDIUM-NARROW setting, there is a filter arrangement that will fit MOST (not all) situations.

The noise blanking and noise reduction are also quite good. Not much more I can write here. They simply work.

What I really like on this rig is the auto notch filter AND the manual notch. This little critter can really get rid of adjacent frequency squeal.

On the ergonomics side of things, the radio is FAIRLY well laid out. In a dim area, I had to grab a flashlight to see the button labels. Also, the display itself is not overly large. It is quite functional, but does not convey the bevy of information that some of the new super rigs do.

If I had to site a complaint, I could. But I would have to dig deep. The internal speaker is a "mehhh" rating. It is front firing, but due to it's size, it just does not sound that good. Perfectly usable, but headphones really bring this radio to life.

Overall, I'm quite impressed with this rig. For it's price, performance, and rugged design; coupled with the stock filters, I would venture to call this the best rig under $1k.

Along those lines, if you are reading this review, you may be comparing the IC-718 or the 7200. While the 718 is a good radio, for just a couple hundred more dollars, the 7200 is enough of a performance to justify the expense IMO.

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2014 12:38 Send this review to a friend
BEST HF FOR THE BUCK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finally have had the time to put my IC-7200 through its paces. My other rig is an IC 756 PRO-3 and I have it set up in another room of my house. The 7200 is my newest SMALL BASE STATION and I am having a blast using it. It is extremely easy to operate and the manual is also a simple tool to use, if ever needed. I know that propagation is very good now, and I have worked more DX with this radio than any other.
Considering that I am using a stealthy 36' END FED on the roof of my single level duplex at twenty feet, in the middle of the country, I'm doing well. I am having so much enjoyment using this rig that I recently purchased a small amp and high power tuner to keep dust off of the long wire. If you want a small, feature laden and high quality radio, the ICOM -72 is perfect.

KC7NYI Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2014 14:02 Send this review to a friend
GREAT RADIO, MY SECOND  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
GREAT FOR THE PRICE. DIRECT ENTRY, PRO AMP, VOICE, METER, PTB, FILTERS AND A NICE VFO. PLENTY OF MEMORY . AND ITS AN ICOM!!!!

W1XWX Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2014 20:06 Send this review to a friend
Rugged radio at a good price point  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought the 7200 several months ago to use as my portable/emergency go kit radio. It's setup so that I can switch to battery power quickly using Anderson Power Poles. I would recommend that you install the optional handles if you plan to take it portable as the handles help protect the front of the radio from any damage.

The USB cable works great for both rig control and for the digital modes without needing any other "sound" equipment like a Rigblaster or Signalink. This reduces the equipment needed to operate portable.

Very rugged design "splash" resistant-- similar to Icom's Marine radios. Sounds good, filters work just fine... all in all a good radio. Sure wish the buttons were lighted and the screen was slightly larger-- but these are my only small complaints.

IZ4DJC Rating: 1/5 Feb 21, 2014 08:00 Send this review to a friend
deludente  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ho comprato Icom ic 7200 per uso mobile nell' anno 2010 ma dopo pochi mesi l'ho rivenduta , il ricevitore buono solo in assenza di segnali laterali, i filtri e il dsp inutile spesso ascoltavo in sottofondo broadcasting e musichette varie, nelle bande basse molto rumorosa.
Esperienza con kenw. Ts 2000 Ts 870 Icom 737 Icom 706 mk2 ft 1000mp e ft 450
Grande delusione la peggiore che ho posseduto. l'ho sostituita con un yaesu ft 450 at
che al confronto del ic 7200 reputo un ottimo hf completo e poco costoso per uso mobile.

AB6YA Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2014 20:44 Send this review to a friend
Sold radio - Holds it's own against rigs $1000+ more!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can't see any reason not to give this rig a 5.

For $875 delivered right now it is a heck of a deal. I am just getting back into the Ham world after a 20 year layoff and was really having a hard time picking a new radio. I am focusing on primarily CW so initially was thinking of just buying an Icom 718 and adding the CW filter for a starter rig - But it comes within $150 of this rig and no filters are needed with the IF DSP.

I was weary with all the talk of how IF DSP is still not up to par as a good crystal filter, but I had the chance to compare this rig with a really nice fully filtered Drake, and for me the IF DSP did as well or better - And we were actually able to copy a call out of Japan with the 7200 that we couldn't quite tighten up and copy on the Drake (between the preamp and a custom IF DSP of about 100hz it popped out of the woodwork).

I also compared the Elecraft K3 at the same friend's shack, and while the K3 had a few minor strengths, they too me were almost immeasurable (especially for over $1200 more!).

It was really nice to be able to swap each of the rigs back and forth on the same antenna - And I'll tell you this rig really shines and holds it's own against his K3 and Drake!

This is a rig that can last someone a lifetime!

Anyhow I know you'll love this radio - It'll do anything you ask of it - And more...