Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - 6M/VHF/UHF+ | Mirage B-2530-G Help

Reviews Summary for Mirage B-2530-G
Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $739.95
Description: VHF 25-W in, 300-W out linear amplifier

You can write your own review of the Mirage B-2530-G.

N7FSM Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2014 11:21 Send this review to a friend
Expensive new, find a good used one.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As far as amps go, the selections for 2 meter seem kind of limited. $700+ for 300 watts is a bit on the pricy side in terms of "bang for the buck" Having said that though, this is a great amp if you can find a used one around. I paid $220 for mine at a local swap meet. 5 watts in is approx 170 watts out
10 watts is approx 275 watts
25 watts is approx 325 watts.
All things considered, if you are interested in VHF local FM this amp will have your HT heard across a large metropolitan area. If your interest is horizontal 2 meter SSB/cw, a radius of many hundreds of miles ought to be easy, especially into a beam antenna of some kind. I never thought I'd say this, but there really isn't a need to run it at full output. 10-15 watts is more than enough drive for most anything terrestrial. If your interest is meteor scatter/EME/etc…this would be a good starter amp, but W6PQL or TE Systems might be more suited to your interests and your wallet.

Be forewarned this amp will draw nearly 50 amps @ 13.8 volts in a full duty cycle mode such as FM. Choose your power supply carefully. I have an Astron RS-70M. The continuous current rating is 57 amps, plenty for the B-2530-G, but how much current does the radio draw to excite the amp? Things can get close, that's all I'm saying. In fact, for mobile operation driving this amp to full output may be problematic on account of your alternator not being able to supply enough current. The manual says as much too. I think this would largely account for the popularity of the 160 watt model. In either case, a good supply, stout cables and a healthy feed line are a must.

This amp does what it says and says what it does. It sounds great on the air and has more than enough power for most uses.

N3ZRX Rating: 4/5 Mar 25, 2012 08:28 Send this review to a friend
Good Amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well guys I have to say I impressed. I was a die hard TE-Systems user until I found this Mirage Amp.

I was at the Mullica Hill Hamfest in New Jersey when I found this Mirage B-2530-G Amp . And I bought it for 160.00 dollars.

Now this is not a inexpensive amplifier as it cost close to 750.00 dollars new. I was very hesitant about buying it.

So I asked the sellers if it was possible to test it and it looked as if it was functional . But unfortunately when I got home it was not.

I was not looking at the power setting on a meter that they used and it looked as though it was working. What looked to be 100 watts out was in fact 1 watt out as I came to find.

Anyway I sent it to Mirage and after waiting eight weeks my repair was done nothing more than a cracked trace some where on the board.

I looked it over pretty well before sending it to Mirage and did not see it.
So Buyer Beware when it comes to used gear.

But as for performance WOW it does what it states A little over 300 watts out into a Hustler G7 mounted in a tree at 90 feet and its working very well.

I and a handful of guys hang out on a simplex frequency down at the bottom of two meters and this amp is doing well for me. I'm on a fringe area with some of the guys in our group so every little bit helps.

Two things are very important and I'm sure most us know this -

1 Good quality cable between the antenna and rig meters is a must. Even a jumper from amp to a meter has to be able to handle the power. RG-8X will not work well even if you are only using it a distance of a foot or so.

2 Heavy Gauge power cable and soldered connections on both ends for DC power is a must as current draw is between 40 to 60 amps. Depending on how much RF is used to excite amplifier.

I also like the fact that it has what I see as a two stage preamp . In the manual you can flip a dip switch inside the amp to change this Dual Gate GaSa MesFet,Gain 22/16 dB-Nominal. Nice Feature.

So in the end this cost me less than 300 dollars total and I'm very happy with it. I would not hesitate buying another one. And with the Timonium Hamfest next weekend , I will be sure to let the guys from Mirage know this.
Ted n3zrx

VE6CPP Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2008 08:28 Send this review to a friend
My Experience..  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought mine Used off of E-Bay.. it was a Back Up Amp for a Repeater and had 'Never Been Used' as the Seller Stated! Un-packed it and he was telling the Truth! Mint Condx! I run it with an RS-70 and the only draw back I have seen so far.. I can drive the 25W Out Rig to a point where the Amp will draw 68A or so ? I contacted MFJ and they said something is wrong with it, to send it in.. but do not want to go without so I try and keep the drive down to the 46 to 48A level to keep her Live and Kicking! Just haven't found the Pot to change the Delay.. Mirage A 1015 G was easy.. can't find this one though! I have worked 31 EME Contacts Now with only 2x13el on EL.. Worked lots of MS and DX with a B-3016.. and Now..I 'Love the B-2530-G ! Same size as my Rigs though.. a bit too Bulky for /p Op's !
VE6CPP
DN39or

K0HPS Rating: 4/5 Aug 30, 2007 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Good amp but some install problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
When first installed, exactly per instructions, it had some problems. Returned it under warranty and they said nothing was wrong and suggested I change the cable length between the exciter and the amp (even though I was using a recommended length). That cured the problem. It's worked fine since then. I'm powering mine with an Astron RS-70M through <5 ft. of #4 primary cable.