Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-7 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-7
Yaesu FT-7 Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $U$150,00
Description: Late 1970s solid-state CW/SSB 20W transceiver for 80/40/20/15/10m
More info: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lapthorn/ft7.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-7.

CX7AF Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2016 05:59 Send this review to a friend
FT-7 in strong RF field  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hello everyone. my call is CX7AF, located in Montevideo City, Uruguay, South America. I have by several years a Yaesu FT-7 with its original hand microphone. I use both at home and in portable operations. The output power is set to 5 watts CW and SSB to meet the QRP standards. The truth is that I have only praise for this rig. Simple as it is, he has given me a lot of satisfaction in DX. A further consideration: My job is in the Radio Station broadcasting Site, there are continuously working three medium wave transmitters (650, 1050 and 1290 KHz) and two shortwave (6125 and 9620 KHz., well, the FT-7 despite this gets well and allows me to communicate when more modern transceivers are locked. What else can I ask for?

KH6JRM Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2015 13:24 Send this review to a friend
Great QRP Rig.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned a Yaesu FT-7 for about 5 years and have enjoyed every minute with it. Nothing fancy, but it works very well for what it is. This is a great standby rig which can serve as both a home station and a portable/emergency station. With a decent antenna, the FT-7 performs very well. Good audio, easy to use controls, and forgiving of operator error. Simple, basic HF transceiver that will last long after more sophisticated rigs find their way to the nearest landfill. Aloha de Russ (KH6JRM).

VK4KL Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2015 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
The FT7 was my first radio bought in 1982 when I obtained my ham licence. Great radio wish I still had one. Lost it in a house fire in 1986
Easy to use did not need a degree in computer sciences to use ;-) Reliable no frills but got the job done. First contact into JY9.

ZL1BAK Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2015 15:57 Send this review to a friend
great qrp rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second ft7, i sold the first one a few years ago and instantly regretted it. I finally found another one in great condition, only had to spray the switches and pots with contact cleaner and it works great. These radios are simple to operate and are built like tanks.The receiver is fantastic, as good as any radio i have owned and i have owned quite a few . This ones a keeper.

G4IKP Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2013 05:56 Send this review to a friend
Wish I still had mine  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first HF radio back in 1979 - I purchased it because it was all I could afford and I had dreams of working the world mobile whilst driving my VW Beetle.

Well they only run 10 watts but I did manage west coast USA on 10m mobile and VK7 (Tasmania) 0n 15m using a piece of wet string for an antenna from my home QTH.

These days I operate a Kenwood TS-830s line up, which is from a similar era and I won't be convinced that newer is better.

If the FT7 was still made it wouldn't sell because these days its all about bells, whistles, flashing lights, and muppet features, sensible layouts, and perfomance have been sacrificed for menues and cyber controls.

If I found a nice one for sale I would buy it right away - and not for nostalgic reasons - it would take it place in my shack because they were a fine radio and delight to operate.

PD2K Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2010 12:26 Send this review to a friend
Great value for money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned a FT-7 for a few years now. Got one that was in good condition and I did not have any problems with it, ever. It has no bells and whistles, but it is easy to use, has a good receiver that's not too noisy. And the transmit audio reports are also good. The finals are also quite forgiving to high SWR, even to broken coax! Great value for money.

KB0XR Rating: 4/5 Oct 25, 2008 05:42 Send this review to a friend
Liked it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the B version at a hamfest in Duluth Minnesota. I used it for several years on my houseboat marine/mobile. It was a solid little rig, built like a tank. Sold the boat, sold my house, moved to a townhouse. It gathered dust for several years.

Used it in the truck a few times back when the sunspot cycle was high and made a lot of contacts.

Sold it a couple years ago at a hamfest in St Paul MN.

Don't particularly miss it. I like rigs with general coverage receive and a few more features.

I don't get romantic about my radios. I have favorites, of course, but it's just a hobby for me.

W8MJE Rating: 4/5 Oct 24, 2008 12:26 Send this review to a friend
A classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first FT-7 in the mid-80s, used it for a while, and sold it. Then I missed it so much I bought another... which I used for several years and then sold to a friend. He's been offering it back to me every so often for the last few years, and yesterday I told him I'd take it. It's sitting in my shack now, monitoring 40M and smiling at me.

This is not the best radio in the world, but it's super simple to operate and maintain, it has a very good receiver, and it's reliable as heck. For some reason it's just more fun than most of today's computerized radios. I think I'll keep it this time.

WS8B Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2007 14:57 Send this review to a friend
Still a great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months

I love it so much, I got a DOA on e-bay and gave new life to it.

Now I have a matched pair......de....ws8b

PY3KT Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2006 12:52 Send this review to a friend
Rarity QRP  Time owned: more than 12 months
Only the necessary things. No menu, no vhf, no uhf, no fm, no am, no squelch, no memory keyer, no memories, no vox, no send/rec switch, no split vfo, no general coverage receive, no dsp, no detachable front panel, no bells... A classic easy to use radio. Just enought for me in QRP activity. Buy it, if possible! Enjoy it and have fun.