Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet SBB-25 2M Mobile Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Comet SBB-25 2M Mobile Antenna
Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $49.95
Description: 2M Mobile Antenna 5/8 Wave.

You can write your own review of the Comet SBB-25 2M Mobile Antenna.

NW0LF Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2013 05:14 Send this review to a friend
Great value for the price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently replaced an old Tram dual band antenna with the Comet since I don't play on 440 MHz. I was looking for the most gain for the money and the Comet seemed to fit the bill. The antenna sits on the roof of my Chevy Cavalier and is a pleasure to use. The antenna is quiet, receives great, does FB getting my signal out and my analyzer showed the antenna was flat across the repeater frequencies I use. I highly recommend it.

N2UHC Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2010 17:36 Send this review to a friend
Very nice, good quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought this antenna (the NMO mount version) to replace my aging Radio Shack antenna and I must say that I'm really impressed with it. The 5/8 wave antenna really works well to get into distant repeaters, and I love the design. It looks nice & sharp on my truck. I also like the foldover design for entering low parking garages, etc. Just unscrew part of the antenna, pull out & fold over.

The great thing about this antenna is that I didn't have to do anything to set the VSWR. I just put it together and then checked it with my antenna analyzer, and it is resonant with 1.5:1 or better from around 137 to about 167 MHZ.

Overall I'm very pleased with this antenna.

W7RUE Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2010 19:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent x 3  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own three of them. I use them with a IC-2200H and two FT-2900Rs. One is on my truck, one is on my S-Type Jag (rear Licence plate mount) and one I use with a mag mount on the metal roof of my office. I have no problem reaching folks in Seattle and Olympia from Tacoma, Washington! A great 5/8ths wave antenna!

W7RUE

KJ4EBE Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2010 16:49 Send this review to a friend
Simply the best  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I realize how good this antenna is after I tried a Diamond SG7900 on my car. With the Diamond SG7900 I'm unable to reach my echolink node from a location where my Comet SBB-25 reach it with goods reports. No noise at all on reception or transmission from several locations while the SG7900 include a annoying french fries cooking noise.

VE3RFO Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2009 22:25 Send this review to a friend
None Better  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm not sure how you can get better than this on 2m. I have a Dodge Ram with this antenna (nmo) mounted in the middle of the roof. There is no better antenna available. Performance is unbelievable. Never had a bad report. I use simplex and get great reports always. Great quality construction. I get asked what I'm using all the time. It does not get better people. For $39 ?? I use an Icom v8000 with this, and seems to be a strong combo. Buy it! Only downfall is it is a mono bander!!

N0VAR Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2009 14:50 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna, but had to work at it  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I can understand the concerns of the others who bought one of these Comet antennas. It took some effort to get it figured out, and on the air and to get the SWR down. I have never had to deal with the NMO mount problem, so I went into this antenna blind. At first, after I screwed it down on the NMO base, it was dead shorted. After swapping out 4 or 5 PL/SO connectors, I found out that the antenna had pushed the center contact out on the mount. After a little experimentation, and a little jury rigging, (finally had to shim it up under the antenna with an old gasket from a garden hose) I got this antenna down to about 1:1.2 SWR, and it works fantastic! I can pull in 2M repeaters and Public Safety repeaters (fire, police, etc.) from my county, and all the counties around my county. No problems at all!
Like I said before, you have to fiddle with it, because the spring loaded center pin at the base of the antenna CAN PUSH THE NMO CENTER CONTACT DOWN AND DEAD SHORT IT. Pay attention to what you are doing when you first screw it down on the NMO base..it can give you a real hassle if it pushes it down...you'll have to force the center contact back through and glue it down if this happens.
I think if the other guys here had just spent a little more time with it instead of throwing in the towel, this SSB-25 Comet Antenna would certainly have a much better rating.
Also, as big as it is, it has no noise (whistling) going down the road, and it is hardly noticeable with the semi flat black paint job. Plus, it was cheap...I paid about $43 for mine. It looks to be well engineered and designed, including the fold-down bits, and mine said that it was made in Japan. A very well made and high quality antenna after a breif teething period.

KC9LCS Rating: 0/5 Sep 2, 2007 10:41 Send this review to a friend
JUNK!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
THIS IS ANTENNA IS POOLY MADE!!! IT WILL NOT TRANSMIT!!! THE ANTENNA DID NOT EVEN COME WITH INSTRUCTIONS!!! COMET CLAIMS THAT THE ANTENNA IS PRE-TUNED--FALSE!!!!! I AM RETURNING THIS BACK TO WHERE I BOUGHT IT!!!! DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DON'T BUY THIS ANTENNA!!!!