Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Smiley 2m HT 5/8 Slim Duck monobander (220 and 440 monobanders a Help

Reviews Summary for Smiley 2m HT 5/8 Slim Duck monobander (220 and 440 monobanders a
Smiley 2m HT 5/8 Slim Duck monobander (220 and 440 monobanders a Reviews: 8 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $20
Description: 5/8 Slim Duck 3 to 7 db gain flexible base loaded antenna, manufactured tough enough for the military and aesthetically pleasing for the consumer. Available in VHF and UHF frequencies, utilizing the Tuned Antenna's one piece MPQ-2000 Space Age covering system. Available from 136 - 174 MHz This new flex coil matching network provides at band center low SWR as well as a +or - 5 MHz band center. (Example an antenna tuned at 146 as the band center, the antenna will perform the same between 141-151 MHz.) For custom frequency call 1-800-527-5439 or email sales@smileyantenna.com. 12"
More info: http://www.smileyantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the Smiley 2m HT 5/8 Slim Duck monobander (220 and 440 monobanders a.

KF7Z Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2013 12:18 Send this review to a friend
Nice Improvement  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Installed on a pair of Yaesu FT250 HT, this antenna is a nice improvement over the stock Yaesu HT antenna. The Smiley people are also very good to work with. Questions are answered very fast, and shipping charges are very low.

N4UED Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2013 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Perfect single band antenna .  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used these for 440 and 220 . They are solid antennas . I like the fact you can change the bottom adaptor from a BNC to a SMA . No other company does this . I use one on my 220 HT and it is outstanding . I just got one for my ICOM ID31A . It works great . They are priced right as well . Buy one you will not be disappointed . Chuck N4UED

K5ND Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2012 17:33 Send this review to a friend
Nicely Built  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice antenna. Works very well. I use it with an Icom ID-31A in the 440 MHz version with SMA connector. Very nicely done and I love that it is tuned exactly for 440 MHz.

W9CLL Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2011 07:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent build and performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received one of these for my 440 HT. It is replacing a Nagoya NA-771. Excellent build quality and I noticed a marked improvement over the original antenna and the Nagoya. I am now able to bring up local repeaters sitting in my living room that I was unable to even hear on the Nagoya. I will be ordering one for my 2 meter HT soon.

N1KSN Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2010 06:30 Send this review to a friend
Excellent duck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this antenna for both 2m and 70cm for some time now and have noticed their good performance. I have recently done a study of HT antenna matching, and this Smiley model is very well matched. I was glad for this, because many of my other HT antennas (including some expensive name brands) were surprisingly poorly matched, especially on two meters. Other Smiley models that I tested were also quite good.

KC9RXE Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2010 13:28 Send this review to a friend
Nice Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned this antenna for a short time but I am impressed. I live in a small pocket of dead spot. I can move 50 ft in either diection of my house and pick up and hit the reapter with half a watt on nothing more than a pice of wire laying on the side of the road ,but at the house I am not sure I could do it with a full legal beam pointed right at it HA HA. This antenna does a great job of at least being able to hit the repeater and when I am away from the house I am full quiet on my FT-60R. While it is a little big (12") it is very flexable and comfortable to wear on your belt also Lisa at smilly was great to work with.

N7TRZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2007 00:53 Send this review to a friend
you CAN hear the difference!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first second hand from another club member, a stubby for 2m. After I drove over it when I neglected to lock the bnc down, I ordered a slim duck for each of my old Icoms. I have a stable of 2ATs and 3ATs, and a 32AT. When on the fringe of usability, swapping to a Smiley often improves the S/N audibly, as well as reducing picket fencing, so it must be over a 6db improvement. The founder is SK, but I met his widow at SEAPAC and she is keeping the place running, and a recent order was filled in good time and with the usual high quality.

W1ZAP Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2007 07:29 Send this review to a friend
Top notch!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased 2 of these in 2003 to enhance a pair of VX-150 HTs that were given to my sons as a reward for getting their Technician license. I selected the VX-150 as it looked like it was kid- and Boy Scout-proof (the VX-170 was not available then), and the Smiley 2m 5/8 Slim Duck (SMA mount) has proved to be just as durable. There is a noticeable difference over the stock rubber duck w/r/t ability to hear and be heard in simplex operations, and repeater use has been good as well. I routinely borrowed one of the boys' HTs when I was working public service events since they worked so much better than my Radio Shack HTX-420 dual-bander, but now I have an FT-60R so no need to borrow the kid's HTs. However, I still borrow a Smiley antenna when the frequency to be used is in the 2m band. I will be buying a BNC 5/8 Slim Duck for a 2m HT I recently won as a door prize, and I expect it will serve me just as well.