Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond SRHF40A Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond SRHF40A
Diamond SRHF40A Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $29.95
Description: Super Flexible element

Gain: 2.15dBi(70cm); Max power rating: 10W; Impediance: 50 Ohms; Length: 40cm/16in; Weight: 40g; Connector: SMA

Type: 1/4-wavelength (2m); 1/2-wavelength radialless (70cm); 8 band coverage (2 amateur radio plus 6 more bands for receiving: 120/150/300/450/800/900MHz)

(Note: This antenna is identical to the Diamond RHF40 but features an SMA connector instead of a BNC.)
More info: http://www.diamond-ant.jp/ama2/eng_ama_2_3_3.asp

You can write your own review of the Diamond SRHF40A.

W9MDC Rating: 3/5 Aug 27, 2010 19:52 Send this review to a friend
Good performance but annoying flex  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
First, the good...this antenna provides excellent performance, both RX and TX. I use it with a Yaesu FT-60R and can hit repeaters 10-20 miles away. A couple weeks ago I hit a repeater about 30 miles away, though the signal was scratchy (but still readable!).

The bad: this thing flexes annoyingly when I'm walking or riding the bike. I purchased it hoping it would eliminate the flap of the RH77CA I have on an Icom T7H. However, it lacks the stiffness to not flex at all, but isn't elastic enough to return to its neutral position, either.

Overall, I think the RH77CA is a better choice, and will probably go back to that soon.

KB1SMG Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2009 09:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As in the previous review - great performance, flexible so able to fit where needed.

I tested it a bit yesterday mounted on a Yaesu FT-270, I was full quieting on repeaters I could not have expected to be w/ the rubber duck.

Long term durability still unknown, but product seems to be pretty well made, time will tell...

Recommended.

73's

KL0PE Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2007 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Innovative!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Amateur HT's have a problem: the antenna included in the box almost invariably sucks. I have no idea why HT manufacturers can't give us better antennas, but for whatever, they don't. The obvious solution is to purchase a high gain after-market antenna, but this, too, has its problems. Most of the high performance antennas are long and cumbersome and tend to make your handy-talkie not so handy. Enter the Diamond SRHF40A.

The SRH40A is a 16-inch long, high performance antenna with one unique characteristic: it's main element is extremely flexible. And I do mean *extremely* flexible! It's covered with an interlocking metal shield (I don't know how to describe it exactly) that allows it to be bent into all manner of shapes while remaining stiff enough to stand up on its own. This makes the antenna extremely convenient to use. If you're operating mobile, you can bend the top six inches over at a 90-degree angle so the antenna isn't hitting the roof of your car. When the radio is on your belt, the antenna can be bent all the way over so it's out of your way, but it can be straightened up immediately when it's time to operate. And if you're trying to sit the radio on a shelf with low clearance, just bend the antenna over until it fits. I don't think I've ever seen such a practical antenna before.

As for performance, I'd rate it as excellent. I've done A/B comparisons on my Yaesu VX-6R between the SRHF40A and the stock duck, and the performance improvements are remarkable. Distant NOAA stations that barely budge the S-meter with the stock duck are almost full scale with the SRHF40A, and I'm hearing repeaters that I never even knew were there. I was also surprised to find that AM broadcast, shortwave, and FM broadcast reception is noticeably improved compared to the stock antenna. Shortwave stations that sound like hash on the rubber duck are actually intelligible with the SRHF40A. The radio seems to transmit well, too, within its designated bands.

I should also mention that the SRHF40A mates well with the VX-6R's SMA connector and appears to maintain the radio's waterproofness, but I've not actually done the dunk-test to confirm it. However, I am confident enough to take the radio out into the rain.

The only niggling criticism I have--and it doesn't really bother me; I only mention it because it might annoy others--is that the antenna will bend over on its own if you make sudden movements with the radio. This doesn't seem to affect reception, but I imagine it might mess with some people's sense of aesthetics. This really shouldn't be a problem under most circumstances, however, and I wonder if the antenna was stiffer if it'd put too much strain on the SMA connector. The only other criticism I have is that the antenna isn't rated for transmit on the 220 band, but then, it's not advertised as such; I knew this when I purchased it, and since 220 is basically dead in my area, this isn't much of a concern for me.

If you're looking for a convenient, high performance antenna to replace the dummy load that came with your radio then the Diamond SRHF40A is the one I'd recommend.