Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Tokyo Hy-Power HC-200 Help

Reviews Summary for Tokyo Hy-Power HC-200
Tokyo Hy-Power HC-200 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 200 watt HF antenna tuner
More info: http://www.netferrets.net/thp

You can write your own review of the Tokyo Hy-Power HC-200.

AK4BR Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2015 23:05 Send this review to a friend
Wow! Could tune a fish!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased my HC-200 from my Elmer for $75.

I hooked it up, and at first it worked great, then the Meter Select control swiveled and broke off the orange wire going to SWR REF. I soldered the wire back on, tightened up the switch with a 11mm socket (hitting the SWR CAL while I was at it), and haven't had a problem yet. By the way, while I was in there, I looked at the solder joints. They were all bright and solid. Not a cold joint in there.

I could hook a fish up to my coax, and probably tune it. This thing is AMAZING!

I'm a 5-month ham rookie, and can tell you that working this tuner is SO SIMPLE. Set the Mode to your band, adjust for the loudest audio on receive, then set to FWD, bring your power on CW up slowly, set your meter to max, switch to SWR REF and hit the Tune/Load knobs until you get the SWR down to something acceptable.

I love this thing, and am really happy to have manual tuning down. The HC-200 ROCKS, and if you can find one, go for it!

KI4YZO Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2008 20:30 Send this review to a friend
Very good tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought mine off ebay for about $90 shipped. This is a well made piece of equipment. The components and wiring are heavy duty for a 200 watt tuner. The soldering is first rate. It has quality switches that utilize roller detents. The tuner is easy to use and the tuning adjustments are smooth with the right amount of friction. I use the HC-200 to tune a 135 ft. wire antenna center fed with ladder line. It tunes 10-80 meters easily.
The only thing I would change about the tuner is the meter - it's a little small. A meter lamp would also help.
The HC-200 doesn't have an internal balun. I use a LDG 4:1 balun connected to back of the tuner with a UHF male-male adapter. This set-up works well.
I like this tuner.

KD8APU Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2008 04:30 Send this review to a friend
Built Like a Tank  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought used and paid $100. This is a great tuner(80 through 10 Meters). Very easy to use. You can hook up 3 antennas (2 coax and 1 wire). I am using a G5RV Jr. and have tuned 40 through 10. Also use a 74ft long wire for 75 meters and works great. If you are just starting out and can find one of these get it. For $100 used it a great value compared to MFJ.

73's

VR2LH Rating: 4/5 Dec 14, 2004 01:08 Send this review to a friend
Basic but works for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I first used the HC-200 over ten years ago to 'tune' odd bits of wire. Most lengths of wire can be matched on most HF bands without problems but there are the inevitable limitations. I also worked 40m by disconnecting/unscrewing the outer PL259 of the coax feed to my 10m vertical & pushing the pl259s inner section only in to the so239 at the rear of the atu - the HC200 matched this no problem. The simple VSWR readout is clear & the power reading ability useful. Nice to have two coax inputs & an input for long wires. The box itself is relatively small.
Minus points are the switch/knob spindals on mine are not centred in the corresponding face plate holes & two knobs have broken. It looks its age. Also no twin feeder connection points & no top band or 50mhz selectors (don't think we even have 50mhz in the UK when I first got my HC-200!)
All-in-all a no-frills tuner that suits my 'playing about with bits of wire' and 100w output style but not suitable for those using big power or who want quick band changes with minimal effort (get an automatic atu in this latter case). I would buy one again if one became available at the right price but I would not go looking specifically for one.

M5GWH Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2002 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Very Simple ATU  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked my HC200 up as part of a Silent Key sale - use it with a Carolina Windom and Simple vertical (AntronA99) and it tunes 80m to 10m.
I did have a Vectronics DL300 (totally useless!) but replaced that with the HC200 and am glad I did. The HC200 tunes 80m to 10m and I think is a 'Z' match compared to a 'T' style. Very simple to use - simply set the SWR meter like you were taught to get FWD/REFLECTED and tune away for SWR dipped and max power output. Simplicity in itself!

KU4QD Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2000 16:26 Send this review to a friend
Great little tuner. Well built, works well, looks  Time owned: unknown months
The Tokyo Hy-Power HC-200 is a 200 watt manual antenna tuner with a built in wattmeter/SWR meter. It has a distinctive green front panel and a round meter, so you can't miss it at a hamfest. It's a typical switched-capacitance tuner, with switch positions for all the bands, 10-160, including the WARC bands. The HC-200 is extremely well built and reliable, and has inputs for three antennas: two coax-fed and one wire fed. You can select any of the three antennas either through the tuner or bypassing the tuner, and the meter can be switched to measure 20 or 200 watts, so it's great for QRP base operation. I think these unit's are a whole lot better in construction than comparable units from MFJ or even Ten Tec, and seem to turn up on the used market quite regularly. I use mine with an inverted 40 meter half-sloper (a wire antenna going up into a tree) and work all the bands without any problems. If you need a manual tuner, I recommend this one.