Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | VX-6 Commander Help

Reviews Summary for VX-6 Commander
VX-6 Commander Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $FREE
Description: Free programming software for the Yaesu VX-6/6R
More info: http://www.kc8unj.com/

You can write your own review of the VX-6 Commander.

2E0JTP Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2014 09:11 Send this review to a friend
Real time saver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This software makes the VX-6(E/R) a much more usable radio.

Having to sit there and manually enter dozens of memory channels by hand is time consuming and becomes pretty tedious after you've programmed in the first couple of dozen memories.

The VX-6 Commander software allows you to get the most from all those available memory slots (999+). So instead of ignoring them, and just programming in the absolute fewest essential frequencies you need. You can really go to town and load it up with all manner of frequencies and banked scanning combinations. If you are buying a VX-6 (or similar radio) you really need to get this software or something similar to make the most of it.

I'm using it with a 'Maxton: RPC-Y7-U' USB interface cable, and it allowed the VX-6 Commander software to automatically detect which COM port it was in and worked first time.

Highly recommended.

NE4W Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2012 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Easy way to load up your mems  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Finally received my serial cable from Hong Kong and was able to read/write memories on the VX-6 with no issues. Using TravelPlus, I didn't even have to key anything in - and the .tpe import worked great. Next steps will be to play around with the memory banks. If the software works for you, please notice the donation button at the bottom of the web page. Creating software such as this isn't trivial, and there's no "right" to free software.

K6LCS Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2011 09:36 Send this review to a friend
Performs as Advertised - Great Support  Time owned: more than 12 months
I would absolutely hate answering tech support calls for amateur radio programming software ... ESPECIALLY Windows-based software. I mean, once you purchase a Windows machine, it becomes different than most everyone else's on the planet once you start messing around with it and installing apps and such. SO ... When I read reports of, "This program doesn't work for me ... " when we all know that these programs are not being released to the world simply to irritate us kinda irritate me. I mean, VX-6 Commander works perfectly for me on the two Windows systems I have it on. As do all the "Commander" titles I have run. And for the vast majority of users, Commander software is working just fine. It seems to be only the folks who are not able to figure out serial port problems ... or those who purchase questionable cables ... or those who otherwise are not "computer savvy" seem to have problems with ham radio programming software. SO ... Commander for the Yaesu VX-6R is a solid, supported program that works exactly as advertised, and runs perfectly on the Windows versions cited by the author. But if your Windows installation is not stable, and/or you cannot figure out serial port conflicts, then it really isn't the software's fault.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS

KE1TIC Rating: 2/5 Apr 9, 2011 06:26 Send this review to a friend
It doesn't work for me  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It doesn't work for me. I run all the tests before setup but then sync and I get errors messages.

KC2PMW Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2009 12:08 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Software  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used VX-6 Commander for over a year and find it much easier than programming from the keypad. I bought a pre-constructed "Yaesu thread" to USB cable from Valley Enterprises (http://valley-ent.com/catalog/yaesu-vx170-radio-programming-cable-p-395.html?cPath=653_657_808) and it has worked amazingly on 3 different computers. The only thing I have to do is keep the file the same on each of the computers. The export option was very helpful when I wanted to program my FT-7800 with FTB7800. I just exported all of my frequencies AND ALPHA TAGS to the FTB7800 and the data transferred flawlessly.

Thanks Jim for this awesome software.

KL0PE Rating: 4/5 Sep 6, 2007 18:03 Send this review to a friend
Works very well, and you can't beat the price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Managing memories in the Yeasu VX-6R is a daunting task with its 900 regular memories, 50 pairs of band scan edges, 100 "nuisance frequency" memories, 24 memory banks, 12 home channels, and 10 direct access memories. A few days of scanning and storing frequencies can leave things very disorganized. That's where programming software steps in.

While Yaesu offers their own software solution, the price is a little steep at around $40. This is where Jim Mitchell, KC8UNJ steps in with his own solution: *free* programming software that works just about as good as the commercial one!

At the time of this writing, the software is currently at version 0.2 Beta, but it still works almost perfectly even at this stage. Once you've gotten your programming cable plugged into the right port and connected to your radio (the software can automatically scan for your cable), loading your radio data into VX-6 Commander is extremely simple (click the big, blue down-arrow button and follow the instructions).

Once the data is in the software, organizing it is a breeze. You can sort memories by frequency or alpha tag (either all memories or only selected memories), move memories up or down through the list, manage memory banks, and change pretty much any of your radio's settings. Once your satisfied, click the big, blue up-arrow and follow the instructions to load the new data into your radio.

Another benefit is that you can also save the data to a file on your hard drive meaning you can have multiple data files for different cities you might visit, or for special functions, and so on.

There are only two minor problems I've encountered. One is the fact that memories loaded from the radio into the software for the first time are set to "ALPHA" instead of "FREQ", meaning that if you transfer the data back to your radio, the display for those memories will be blank. It's easy enough to change the setting (just double click "ALPHA" and select "FREQ" from the drop-down list), but it's still something to keep in mind.

The second problem, and I can't actually confirm if this is a problem with the software, is that some memories on my radio appear as "filled" (i.e. no flashing memory number) despite the fact that there is no data stored in the memory channel. This isn't really a major problem, just a minor nuisance. All it means is I have to be aware of which memories are actually empty.

One more thing to keep in mind: you'll obviously need a data cable to use this software. While it is possible to buy a cable from various vendors, I've found the price can be fairly steep (around $35). KC8UNJ's site does have instructions on how to construct your own cable, but that's not an option for everybody. If you're lucky like me, you'll have a spare data cable lying around in your junque box (I think it's the one I used to use with my FT-50!). The only caveat is that older Yaesu data cables won't work with the VX-6R due to the threaded speaker-mic jack, so you'll need to buy Yeasu's CT-91 adapter (about $10) and a 1/8" to 3/32" stereo adapter (the data cable plugs into the smaller of the two holes on the CT-91). This arrangement has worked perfectly for me. Of course, if you don't have 9-pin COM ports on your motherboard then you may have to spring for a USB data cable.

All in all, VX-6 Commander offers an excellent way to manage memories on your VX-6R, and you can't beat the price!