Reviews Categories | Books/Manuals/Videos/Pod-WebCasts on ham radio | The Complete Idiots Guide to DX Help

Reviews Summary for The Complete Idiots Guide to DX
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: by Stuart Gregg NF4Z
1st Printing 1981

You can write your own review of the The Complete Idiots Guide to DX.

KI4RHC Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2007 22:07 Send this review to a friend
Useful For New Hams  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I saw an ad for this book in an old 73 magazine, which I had gotten for a technical article. Since I am a new amateur (basically an "Idiot") I thought I'd look for it to get some pointers for when I finally get on the air.
This book is great! Along with "The Complete DXer" (which is a must-have) I've really learned not only what to expect but gotten some good advice for when I do start working the bands.
Stu wrote this book when the code was a requirement. He gives a very convincing appeal as to why I should use CW first and 50% of the time. We don't need to even learn code anymore, yet its just as valid a point today (even more so).
There are quite a few ideas that he passes on which I am definitely going to go use, such as how to learn the prefixes of each country for instant recognition if I should come across one.
He does give some very short stories about his own experiences to help make some of his points, but doesn't do the real novel-like storytelling as W9KNI did in "Complete DXer" (that's what makes me reread that book over and over).
I don't know if there ever was a second printing, or how many copies of these are floating around, but if you're new to this then definitely grab one if you see it.