Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | West Mountain Radio COMspkr Help

Reviews Summary for West Mountain Radio COMspkr
West Mountain Radio COMspkr Reviews: 18 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $69.95
Description: If you, your family or your neighbors haven't heard your signal coming from their computer speakers you are quite a lucky ham. The COMspkr will solve this interference problem. The COMspkr is an RF proof amplified stereo computer speaker system, designed for the computer in your ham station or any computer near your ham station.
The COMspkrs look good in a ham station or at a computer desk. They have better sound quality than most two-piece computer speakers. The audio quality is especially good for music or voice with 3 watts per channel. They may be used in mono or stereo arrangements with a radio instead of a computer, or with an MP3 player.

The COMspkr:

Intended as a replacement for RF interference prone Computer Speakers
An amplified speaker system optimized for operation in close range of any radio transmitter.
Exceptionally high rejection of radio frequency interference from 1 to 1000 MHz.
Stereo High Fidelity response for use with voice or music.
High acoustic power output that can be heard clearly in a noisy environment.
Built in amplifier assures compatibility with most computers and/or two way radios.
Comes complete with audio cables and UL approved wall power supply.
Solid, resonance free, wooden cabinets.
Specifications:
INPUT: Stereo line level 1/8" mini jack.
OUTPUT: Nominal 3 watts per channel
DIMENSIONS: H 8.375" W 4.125" D 5.25" (each spkr)
WEIGHT: 72 oz. (complete)

More info: http://www.westmountainradio.com/COMspkr.htm

You can write your own review of the West Mountain Radio COMspkr.

K1VI Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2014 14:59 Send this review to a friend
No RFI !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got these, since my Logitech speakers were very RF-active on 20 meters. As advertised, these did not notice a thing with my KW two feet away, on any band, 80, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10. Happy.

K3USC Rating: 1/5 May 9, 2013 06:36 Send this review to a friend
Broke after a year...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought a pair of the West Mtns. for my next door neighbor who was hearing me in his computer speakers. He reported it fixed the problem BUT when I asked him a year later if everything was still OK he reported they broke and he tossed them. Wish he'd told me. I'm not really a Bose fan but their Companion 2 computer speakers (80 bucks at Sam's Club) are RF bulletproof. Learned about them from the Flex reflector.

W0BBI Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2013 17:44 Send this review to a friend
Nice match for K3 and others  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased mine from my friends at HRO at Hamcation in Orlando.
Having tried several speakers with the K3 these are an excellent match. Being stereo speakers, using the sub-receiver in split mode no longer requires me using headphones. Also being that the speakers amplified, it reduces K3 AF gain required to overcome any ambient noise in the shack. No hiss, buzz, crackle or any other problems on any band 10-160 at full legal limit.
Nice package and very reasonable cost
Bill-W0BBI

K4YDN Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2013 16:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Speakers  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been hamming for 55 years and though my hearing is not what it use to be, these speakers fit the bill for me. I use a pair on my FT-5000, FT-3000, Collins S-line. They have good fidelity considering that they are just computer speakers. Try them you me be surprised. 73's, Mike K4YDN

AA2DK Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2013 13:58 Send this review to a friend
Cheap, but good..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK, so I hate when people on these forums compare a $40 set of speakers to the top-of-the-line Bose stuff. Granted, they're a tad cheesy, but they cured my RF problem and given the very reasonable price, I'd recommend them.

KG5RZR Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2012 10:25 Send this review to a friend
Really Great and only $39.95  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
NO RFI noted. I noticed a slight low frequency thumping sound. To correct this problem: On the Slave unit, and at the top of the back panel, between the two top closure screws, I drilled 7 each 1/8 inch Porting Holes. Two horizontal Rows. 3 holes in the first Row and 4 holes in the second Row.

Also, on the Master unit, and at the same exact location as the Slave Unit, I drilled 3 each 1/8 inch Porting Holes. One Row only. NO MORE THUMPING.

A slight increase in frequency response was noted. I am very pleased with the constuction and the audio quality of this unit. I grade it 7.

NY4D Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2012 14:18 Send this review to a friend
No RFI & sound good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I give these speakers a thumbs up as they do what they are advertised to do. My set is used with the shack computer, a Toshiba netbook that has anemic speaker volume but the COMspkrs make it come alive. I have a lot of music downloads on this computer and they actually sound ok on these speakers. Not great for music but good.

I have the left channel speaker sitting right on top of an 500 watt out HF amp and the right channel is about a foot and a half away. No RFI anywhere and they sound pretty good. There is a hi cut control in addition to the volume which might be useful for those who want to use these for receiver audio.

Does the job as another reviewer said. I'll give this a 4 for the sound and a 5 for the RFI proof factor, but of course there is no 4.5 rating here. Rounding my rating up to a 5 cause they do what they are advertised to do.

N5BCN Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2011 17:23 Send this review to a friend
Does the job: no RFI  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was having terrible RFI hum on my PC Speakers (Harmon Kardon brand) and even tried installing some caps across the input leads and using ferrite cores for the power and audio cables. These measures helped a little but did not eliminate the problem.

Despite the reviews here, I ordered a pair of COMspkrs. They can be had for about $39.95, not too much more than a standard set of PC speakers.

The build quality seemed comparable to any set of PC speakers you get today. They are a bit bigger, though, than standard PC speakers.

One negative is that the cable lead to the PC is annoyingly short. My PC is a very reasonable distance from the speakers, but I had to buy an audio extension cable to reach.

The most important aspect is that my RFI problems are gone! Under the same circumstances that caused the regular PC speakers to hum like crazy, the COMSpkrs are dead quiet. To me, this makes them worth the price.

For those having RFI issues with their PC speakers, these may be your solution.

Note: I'm using these speakers strictly as PC Speakers in my shack, NOT as speakers for my radio! However, they are within very close proximity to my transceiver.

K8AC Rating: 4/5 Dec 11, 2010 08:00 Send this review to a friend
Does the job  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using a cheap set of PC speakers with ferrites on all leads, but they still were a problem when running over a KW on 20M. The COMspkrs have no problem even at 1500W with the beam in this direction. The rear of the cabinets is screwed on, so it would be possible to add chokes inside for very difficult RFI problems. My old speakers were glued together with no way to access the innards. Fidelity on these speakers is very good - much better than the old PC speakers. But - mine arrived damaged, with the power on/off button broken off because of poor packing design. I was able to epoxy the knob and now it's like new. If you're fighting a PC speaker RFI problem, these may do the job for you. You should expect some shipping damage due to poor packaging.

N2BEE Rating: 0/5 Jun 4, 2010 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Bad Bad Bad  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought these new and paid 39.95 + 9.95 shipping. received damaged and now they expect me to pay 9.95 more to send them back for repair. I dont think so - this is a pure rip off, if you buy something new you should get it in good working shape - not broken and have to pay for repairs right out of the box.