Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | West Mountain Radio COMspkr Help

Reviews Summary for West Mountain Radio COMspkr
West Mountain Radio COMspkr Reviews: 18 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $69.95
Description: If you, your family or your neighbors haven't heard your signal coming from their computer speakers you are quite a lucky ham. The COMspkr will solve this interference problem. The COMspkr is an RF proof amplified stereo computer speaker system, designed for the computer in your ham station or any computer near your ham station.
The COMspkrs look good in a ham station or at a computer desk. They have better sound quality than most two-piece computer speakers. The audio quality is especially good for music or voice with 3 watts per channel. They may be used in mono or stereo arrangements with a radio instead of a computer, or with an MP3 player.

The COMspkr:

Intended as a replacement for RF interference prone Computer Speakers
An amplified speaker system optimized for operation in close range of any radio transmitter.
Exceptionally high rejection of radio frequency interference from 1 to 1000 MHz.
Stereo High Fidelity response for use with voice or music.
High acoustic power output that can be heard clearly in a noisy environment.
Built in amplifier assures compatibility with most computers and/or two way radios.
Comes complete with audio cables and UL approved wall power supply.
Solid, resonance free, wooden cabinets.
Specifications:
INPUT: Stereo line level 1/8" mini jack.
OUTPUT: Nominal 3 watts per channel
DIMENSIONS: H 8.375" W 4.125" D 5.25" (each spkr)
WEIGHT: 72 oz. (complete)

More info: http://www.westmountainradio.com/COMspkr.htm

You can write your own review of the West Mountain Radio COMspkr.

N4LQ Rating: 4/5 Jan 5, 2010 17:01 Send this review to a friend
Good for K3  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
These make a nice speaker pair for the Elecraft K3. The K3 has a stereo 1/8" speaker jack and really needs stereo speakers to take advantage of it's 2 channel capability. Many computer speakers will work fine but these have bypass capacitors to reduce or eliminate RFI.

I ran a sweep test using my sound level meter and audio sweep generator. Response was good down to 100 HZ and up to 12 Khz but not flat by any means. A strong peak happens at 550Hz and 680 Hz. Deep nulls, almost notches, were found at 800Hz, 2600Hz, 6000Hz. Response drops off rapidly over 13Khz. This is acceptable however, being a CW operator, I would prefer a peak at 600Hz but this can be compensated in the K3's EQ settings.

The front panel has a knob incorrectly labled "LOW CUT". It's a simple high frequency attenuator. Turning it fully clockwise opens the response to full range. Fully counterclockwise reduces high frequencies beginning at 600Hz and basically cutting everything above 3Khz. "HIGH CUT" would be the proper label!

The enclosure is made of pressed wood which eliminates the tin can effect of metal speakers and the vibrations found in some plastic models. Overall, they sound quite nice with the K3. The terms, soft, soothing, subdued come to mind when trying to describe the sound.

Inside the main speaker box is the amplifier which appears to have ceramic bypass capacitors across the inputs and outputs. I saw no torroid inductors at all so it looks like capacitors do the job. My speakers are on each side of the K3 and are sandwiched between the 1KW amplifier and tuner. I experienced no RFI when using ladder line which is quiet remarkable.

Here is a link to an inside photo:

Note there is a vent under the speaker to resonate the system. One thing I would like is a longer cable between the speakers. Otherwise they are a fair deal at $39.95 from HRO.

N4LQ Rating: 4/5 Jan 5, 2010 13:41 Send this review to a friend
Good for K3  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

The enclosure is made of pressed wood which eliminates the tin can effect of metal speakers and the vibrations found in some plastic models. Overall, they sound quiet nice with the K3. The terms, soft, soothing, subdued come to mind when trying to describe the sound.

Here is a link to an inside photo:

KA8JMW Rating: 3/5 Jul 29, 2009 17:37 Send this review to a friend
OK, could be better.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The good:
Great audio
RF immune
The bad:
A 9v wallwart in a hobby dominated by 12v.
Lack of a headphone jack.

K5KDN Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2008 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Cured my RFI problem  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have always had speaker RFI problems in my second-floor shack. I tried several different brands of speakers and used lots of ferrites to try to cure the problem without total success. I could reduce the RFI but could never eliminate it until I installed the COMspkr system.

I tested the speakers today running my amplifier (Ameritron AL-80B) at full power on 80 thru 17 meters and with the transceiver (FLEX5000A) at 100 watts on 10 and 6 without any trace of RFI. My worst case test, which always produced some RFI at any power level in the past, was to point the log periodic directly at the shack on 17 meters. No RFI was detected even running the amp.

I am very satified with this speaker system.

Bob, K5KDN
Driftwood, TX

WU8P Rating: 2/5 Mar 16, 2008 05:07 Send this review to a friend
Not what I expected from West Mountain  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The sound quality and level are fair. The knobs have no way to see at what level they are set at. There is a little bevel and groove, but very hard to see. Needs a white line. Also hard to grip. I changed my knobs. The power button is so stiff, that when you turn off the speakers the entire speaker cabinet slides or tries to tip over.
The RFI is better on 40m, but will have to see on the other bands.

W6VA Rating: 2/5 Dec 27, 2007 12:54 Send this review to a friend
Helps Somewhat  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Definitely overpriced for a couple of thinly modified computer speakers but helped somewhat in reducing RF on some bands. 10-17 meters did clear up some of the RF that I had on a really low end pair of computer speakers. No help on 20 meters (all with 600 watt amplifier). Even with 100 watts on 20 there was RF interference.
40 & 80 at 100 watts seemed ok (no amp on those bands/high SWR). Buy only with a money back guarantee. I'll keep them because of the improvement over my other speakers but I would have a hard time telling someone to buy them. The audio quality when playing music is only fair. Caveat Emptor.

K2NCC Rating: 0/5 Dec 26, 2007 00:01 Send this review to a friend
Don't waste your money.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought into the hype found on WMR's site. I really wish I hadn't.

Right out of the box, they failed to power on.

After removing the rear panel, hoping to find a simple fix, I discovered the craftsmanship was very shoddy. Glue everywhere, and the sloppiest assembly I've ever seen. With just a unshielded wood enclosure and a couple of extra components (disc caps mostly), I couldn't see where the 70 bucks was justified.

Taking a meter to the system, the 14v (marked as 9v) adapter power wasn't reaching the circuit board. Finding the cold solder joint was easy enough, but it took a bit of work to get to it. Separating the bottom of the speaker to access the board was the easiest of my choices.

Though they now power on, they still donít reduce the RFI any better than my $20 PC speakers.

The reseller (Powerwerx... good people) was kind enough to offer a replacement and the agent replied to my email with: "I feel the same about the quality. I just wrote a nasty email to the manufacturer (West Mountain Radio). Hopefully, we will hear from them back tomorrow.Ē

Apparently they didnít. I decided to keep what I had and turned down the replacement. After some modifications, what I have now works, so no sense taking the chance of another DOA. And of course, I was refused a refund as I had voided any warranty.

Donít waste your money, this Chinese-made stuff is junk. Worst ham-radio investment Iíve ever made.

WB5AGX Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2007 08:11 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Rather than needing these for the hamshack, I needed something in my office that would not buzz loudly when my cell phone downloaded email. Many ferrite beads helped a bit, but did not solve the problem. Also, I have two handhelds scanning on my desk, and whenever I responded to a call there was awful noise from the computer speakers. I replaced the computer speakers with the COMspkrs and the problem was gone. A handheld transmitting with five watts, held next to the speakers, did not produce any speaker noise. I think I may add another pair to my shack.