Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Icom R-2500 (PCR-2500) Help

Reviews Summary for Icom R-2500 (PCR-2500)
Icom R-2500 (PCR-2500) Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $899.95
Description: Icom's Computer Controlled DC to Daylight Receiver
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/products/receivers/r2500/

You can write your own review of the Icom R-2500 (PCR-2500).

G1HBE Rating: 4/5 Apr 23, 2013 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Good for the price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After owning an AOR5000 for about 14 years, it developed a serious fault, so I replaced it with an Icom 2500. Not as good as the Icom (IF selectivity and 2nd mixer overload problems let it down), but it's pretty good value considering you get two independent receivers. Performance up to 1300 MHz is good, but beyond that it gets progressively more deaf and by 2.4 GHz it's not hearing much. It also has image problems above 2 GHz, caused by the downconverter architecture. But as there is little analogue stuff beyond 1300 MHz, it probably doesn't matter too much. Fairly happy.

W2MSK Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2012 08:27 Send this review to a friend
Great General Purpose  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using the R-2500 for 7-8 years and have been very pleased. The key to success is to add a 10.7Mhz tap using a buffer board such as Clifton Labs Z10000 (relatively simple modification available on the web) and a RF Space SDR-IQ or SDR-14 and, of course, an adequate receiving antenna. This provides the feature set of a much more expensive receiver with much of the same functionality. For relatively strong signal UHF-VHF-SHF or SWR work you have an excellent platform that can be had at used price points. The software is just adequate but utilitarian and is stable with Windows 7/64 bit.

AUSSIE Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2012 13:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the Icom-R2500 when it came out at first didnt like the idea of the seperate control head but anyway i do use it at times when i cannot be bothered switching the computer performance on vhf/uhf excellent antenna Icom-AH7000 discone hf Wellbrook-ALA1530 active loop monitor aero
excellent also have the dsp unit fitted..

Regards Lino..

VK2KIT Rating: 4/5 Jun 1, 2011 01:21 Send this review to a friend
Good idea, but......  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There are a few issues with this receiver. Firstly, the PLL in the main receiver in my unit has some serious phase noise 'issues'. This is most evident by the relatively high level of hiss in the background of even strong FM narrow signals on VHF or UHF. Interestingly the sub-receiver was much quieter despite the PLL/VCO section being identical. I appear to have reduced the phase noise by modifying the VCO circuit, so at least the noise is bearable now. P25 operation with the UT-122 is OK, however the decoded P25 audio level is probably half as loud as other modes. This makes obtaining a comfortable listening level almost impossible when scanning P25 and analogue channels. Again, another modification has increased the P25 audio level to the point where it is closer to the other modes. AM, SSB and CW modes work surprisingly well considering the use of low cost ceramic IF filters. Sensitivity below 1.3Ghz is decent, but above 1.3Ghz sensitivity plummets. I concur with previous comments about the strange antenna setup. I think it would make more sence to have the P25 module running on the sub receiver as it only covers 50-1.3Ghz and would then leave the main receiver and antenna socket free for HF/SSB/AM modes. The latest Icom software works well, but the R2500 controller is just another example of where corners were cut. This receiver would have been so much better with a custom designed controller. Accessing the receivers advanced features with the R2500 controller is a nightmare.. I would like to say that I will sell the R2500 and buy something else, but really there isn't anything like it on the market. Sure AOR and Winradio make some nice gear covering similar spectrum, but they either have to be tied to a computer to work or they don't do P25.
So, until AOR come out with a self contained, PC controllable receiver that does P25, the Icom will stay in my shack.

KC2NDA Rating: 2/5 Mar 27, 2011 22:53 Send this review to a friend
Radio is Great, Software is Horrible!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The radio is great, there are no problems with the radio. But try using it with the computer, and you will get frustrated. The software has many bugs and it will stop responding if you click more than a few times on a button. I bought this radio so I could control it and use it exclusively from the computer. I even waited a year or so for ICOM to get their act together hoping they would fix the problems. They haven't.

SV2BWM Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2010 08:16 Send this review to a friend
Great receiver!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have the ICOM PCR-2500 almost a year now and I am very pleased from its performance! It has a quiet receiver, no noises and whistles, no birdies, excellent SSB and average DSP that actually it isn't needed most of the time! I compared with the ICOM IC-7000 with the same antennas etc. and I found it better specially in receiving low signals, but with no preamp/att. The VSC function works perfectly like an auto-squelch. Audio in SSB is general pleasant but I'd liked more rich bass respronse like the IC-7000. The dual reception works fine too. Also, I liked the spectrum analyser function, but not for SSB: it worked only in AM/FM. The scanning speed is ok but it is not AOR! Lots of memories but not unlimited. Good job ICOM!! + 73's

W8JN Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2009 20:51 Send this review to a friend
nice job  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i had a r9500 and hated to see $13,000 receiver collect dust. you can see it collecting dust in my shack pictures. I decided to sell it and purchase a PCR2500. there is no comparison. however for the closeout price of $600 it is a very nice little wideband receiver. i have it hooked up to a g5rv and that antenna does a great job through all the bands. i am 100% satisfied with the 2500.
i would, however like to know the name of the knucklehead dumbasp at icom who decided to include that worthless pile of trash bonito software. it is beyond worthless. locks up my computer, deleted it now it will not reload. i have been dealing with computers for 30 years and this is the biggest pile of trash i have ever come across. throw it in the trash can. bonito... worthless pile-o-spit!!!

K1SMM Rating: 4/5 Apr 19, 2008 20:09 Send this review to a friend
great product  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Has anyone run this radio mobile. According to my understanding of the operating voltage specs, the average car could easily exceed the upper limit. I habe asked Icom about this, but have received no answer to date.

KB5AG Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2007 12:02 Send this review to a friend
a step up from the PCR-1000  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I replaced my PCR-1000 with this, and I am very pleased. The 2500 seems better able to cope with a long antenna for HF, so I don't have to use the ATT all the time. The interface is better, and it's nice to have two radios to tune HF while scanning for you local repeaters. I use mine via the internet when I travel, and it's a lot better than using a portable at the hotel.
The audio quality is better for me with the USB feed than with the audio out, but I haven't quite mastered getting some functions to work that way.
I have found the DSP to be effective, but it's certainly not a miracle. It's great for notching carriers and lowering the general noise level. It's the same UT-106 that's used in many Icom products.
Be aware that the PCR-2500 will require more horsepower from your PC to run effectively. I had the PCR-1000 connected to a 700mhz PIII and it was just not good enough for the 2500, at least when running remotely. I switched to a 1.7ghz P4 and that did the trick.
Overall, I'm very satisfied with this receiver. I really enjoyed the PCR-1000, but this was worth the upgrade.