Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Radio Works Carolina Windom 40 Short Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Works Carolina Windom 40 Short
Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $139.00
Description: Freq. coverage: 40 - 10 meters
Radiator length: Horizontal 42' or 50'
Verticals 8',10',8' or 8',10',16'
Polarization: Vertical and horizontal
Feed line: 50 ohm Coaxial cable
Matching method: Tuner
Tuner needed: Yes, on all bands.
Power Rating: 1500 Watts CW/SSB See page 5
Recommended Hgt. >35'- Usable at 30'
All CAROLINA WINDOM Short 40tm elements are
interactive and must be in alignment for proper operation
of the antenna. SWR is only one factor that
affects an antenna’s performance. Reactance, band
to band, is well controlled and the SWR, though not
below 2:1, is low enough to avoid high losses in the
coaxial feed line. Your manual tuner easily matches
the antenna feed system to your rig. This gives you
all the convenience of an open-wire fed antenna, with
the convenience of coaxial cable.
As the CAROLINA WINDOM Short 40tm comes to
you, it is adjusted for maximum radiation performance
on all bands, 40 through 10 meters.
More info: http://www.radioworks.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Works Carolina Windom 40 Short.

KU4XO Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2013 22:38 Send this review to a friend
Very good antenna, compact size  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna seems to shine on 40 and 20 meters. DXCC and WAS on 40/20 meters in one year using the Radio Works Carolina Windom 40 Short @ 30ft with 1KW in a half square configuration.

KI6TXC Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2009 20:34 Send this review to a friend
Carolina Windom 40  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in a restricted area and my first and previous antenna was a RadioWavz G5RV Jr @ 28 Foot, this did ok, but WOW night and day with the Carolina Windom 40 @ 34 foot configured as a flat top. This is suspended between two home brew masts and a MFJ telescoping fiberglass mast for the center radiator and matching unit for support. The distance between my two masts is approx 85 foot.

The SWR on 40/20 was flat and perfect with no static like my previous antenna. Today's DX was good and had very surprising results from Azores and New Zealand on 20M.

Radoworks Staff answered questions and was very helpful. The antenna came complete with a very good and detailed manual, coax seal, antenna insulators, the only thing missing was the two 200 foot towers :).

I would recommend this antenna without question.

KC6UWM Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2007 12:46 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put up my Carolina Windom 40 Short just over a month ago. It is suspended 30 feet above the ground on masts spaced 80 feet apart. I have mounted the antenna between the masts using Dacron rope run through pulleys on each mast so I can raise and lower the antenna as needed. This antenna works great compared to my end feed slope wire mounted at 35 feet at the high end. The first thing I noticed was station coming in 2 “S” units higher on the Carolina Windom 40 Short. My signal is reported to one or more “S” units higher than my end feed antenna. I am using it with my Kenwood TS2000 with built in auto tuner, and I have no problem tuning all the bands from 10 meters through 40. In fact at 20 and 40 I don’t usually use the tuner because the SWR is 1.1:5 or less near the center of the bands. In testing it against my 100-foot home brew balanced line antenna the Carolina Windom 40 Short still gives me a better signal on 10 thru 40 meters. The home brew is 1 “S” unit lower on receiving signals and about the same for transmitting. I am very happy with this antenna.