Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Alda 103 Help

Reviews Summary for Alda 103
Alda 103 Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $495.00
Description: Transceiver
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Alda 103.

KO0KY Rating: 4/5 Jan 6, 2002 02:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent mobile or backup  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased an Aldo 103 on eBay for $110. It is not what would be considered a primary rig, but using it mobile is fine. 40 meters on SSB during commuting is a good application for this rig. Besides, I only risk $110 to burglary! It can best be summarized as 'OK' in most categories, though my IC706 is two orders of magnitude above it in performance. In all fairness, it is old, and may well have been an A1 rig in it's younger days. I recommend picking one up at a hamfest for backup or mobile.

VE7CRA Rating: 3/5 May 7, 2000 02:33 Send this review to a friend
great noise blanker!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Alda 103 was one of the first "small" hf mobile rigs. I purchased mine new in 1979 I believe, & was satisfied with everything except the dial. The heritage of the Alda 103 was obvious from it's Terrible dial. Mechanically, it was a nightmare. The vfo frequency control was by variable capacitor, & the dial was a lithographed(?) piece of clear plastic that looked as though it had been cut to size by a beaver! The dial was not resettable or readable to less than 2khz, & the pointer was subject to slipping on the shaft etc. A truly terrible dial on an otherwise advanced transceiver. The transmitter would give a solid 125 watts out on a whistle, & the receiver was surprisingly selective. The optional noise blanker(plug in board) sold for less than $75 & was the BEST blanker I have ever used! An aftermarket company made a 5 band conversion kit for the 103 (the Alda 103 was an 80/40/20 metre radio) & they enjoyed about a years worth of popularity, & faded from sight. I traded mine in on a brand new Icom 701, immediately they became available. I would buy an Alda 103 if it were available, & build a digital display for it.
I still have a factory service manual & a cct board extender card to work on it. The 103 I believe sold for either $395 or $495....memory dims! If three bands are enough for you, an Alda 103 working, would be worth picking up at a flea market, if only as a conversation piece!