Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Alda 103 Help

Reviews Summary for Alda 103
Alda 103 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $495.00
Description: Transceiver
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Alda 103.

VK3DMN Rating: 4/5 Sep 30, 2003 05:58 Send this review to a friend
Good early solid state mobile  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I picked one of these up on Ebay a while ago, mainly for curiosities sake. Then the frequency display on my main rig failed, so I started actually using the 103 for a while.

I wasn't expecting much to be honest, but I was pleasantly surprised. As mentioned in other revies the noise blanker is excellent. The sensitivity is good too. Selectivity isn't great but it's usable, similar to the fairly contempory FT7, and the alda puts out an easy 100 watts, which even the FT7B wouldn't match.

The rig is actually quite compact for it's time, smaller than a FT77 for example.

The dial is pretty ordinary and if you calibrate it in the middle of the 40 metre band it's about 3 khz out one way at one end and 3 khz out the other way at the other end. I have a little frequency counter sitting on the top of it which I use when needed, but mostly I just avoid the band edges.

I wouldn't recommend this as a primary rig, but it's actually still surprisingly usable as a 40 and 80 rag chewing rig.

And it'll do fine until the new IC718 arrives (hopefully some time next week).

I'll keep this one as a backup rig... it's actually fun to use :-)

KC8HXO Rating: 4/5 May 31, 2002 14:03 Send this review to a friend
Cool!!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Cannot fault this one. Picked up reasonable as a mobile.... no regrets!!!! As specified in another review, the noise blanker actually works great! Unique tuning takes getting used to, but is kinda slick once one becomes adept with it. First taste of HF mobile was an HTX-10, but this is a lot more fun! Yes, she still whistles up to 125W, and won't wimp out from a little SWR!

KO0KY Rating: 4/5 Jan 6, 2002 02:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent mobile or backup  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased an Aldo 103 on eBay for $110. It is not what would be considered a primary rig, but using it mobile is fine. 40 meters on SSB during commuting is a good application for this rig. Besides, I only risk $110 to burglary! It can best be summarized as 'OK' in most categories, though my IC706 is two orders of magnitude above it in performance. In all fairness, it is old, and may well have been an A1 rig in it's younger days. I recommend picking one up at a hamfest for backup or mobile.

VE7CRA Rating: 3/5 May 7, 2000 02:33 Send this review to a friend
great noise blanker!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Alda 103 was one of the first "small" hf mobile rigs. I purchased mine new in 1979 I believe, & was satisfied with everything except the dial. The heritage of the Alda 103 was obvious from it's Terrible dial. Mechanically, it was a nightmare. The vfo frequency control was by variable capacitor, & the dial was a lithographed(?) piece of clear plastic that looked as though it had been cut to size by a beaver! The dial was not resettable or readable to less than 2khz, & the pointer was subject to slipping on the shaft etc. A truly terrible dial on an otherwise advanced transceiver. The transmitter would give a solid 125 watts out on a whistle, & the receiver was surprisingly selective. The optional noise blanker(plug in board) sold for less than $75 & was the BEST blanker I have ever used! An aftermarket company made a 5 band conversion kit for the 103 (the Alda 103 was an 80/40/20 metre radio) & they enjoyed about a years worth of popularity, & faded from sight. I traded mine in on a brand new Icom 701, immediately they became available. I would buy an Alda 103 if it were available, & build a digital display for it.
I still have a factory service manual & a cct board extender card to work on it. The 103 I believe sold for either $395 or $495....memory dims! If three bands are enough for you, an Alda 103 working, would be worth picking up at a flea market, if only as a conversation piece!