Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Nordmende Globetrotter TN 6000 (Globetraveler I ?) Help

Reviews Summary for Nordmende Globetrotter TN 6000 (Globetraveler I ?)
Nordmende Globetrotter TN 6000 (Globetraveler I ?) Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 15 bands analog receiver: FM, S, L, M, and 11 SW bands 13-80 meters; two bandwidth settings

You can write your own review of the Nordmende Globetrotter TN 6000 (Globetraveler I ?).

KI4RHC Rating: 4/5 Jun 17, 2009 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Great Audio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had several different versions of Nordmende SW portables, the Globetravelers and this Globetrotter were very similar. The previous review did a nice job of summing this radio up. This model was definitely the best looking of those that I had owned, if that means anything. Beautiful sound from it on all bands, perhaps a Schaub-Lorenz model that I once had was a bit better audio-wise, but these old Nordmendes really are something special if you don't mind groping for stations (terrrible frequency readout, but that's how many of us started out).

TOBYDOG Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2007 10:52 Send this review to a friend
Big surprise!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A few months ago I purchased a middle range Nordmende SW radio off Ebay and was surprised at its sensitivity and sound. So when a high-end older Nordmende popped up, I bought it -- and I was very impressed from the outset.

A few hours ago I took the receiver to the lake -- far away from power lines and any other interference. It's AM and SW performance -- as well as its sound -- was simply amazing. Or was it just an atmospheric fluke? So I tested it against the legendary Sony 2010 and the new portable hot dog, the Kaito 1103, both of which I like very much. Here somes the sacrilege...

On both the SW and MW bands the Nordmende pulled in several more stations than either the Sony or the Kaito. And the stations received by all three were delivered by the Nordmende with more volume, less hiss, and a much deeper, richer, sound. So it now takes the top spot among my portables in terms of sensitivity, beating out the aforementioned receivers as well as the Transoceanics, Panasonics, etc., in my collection.

Because of its age the TN 6000 doesn't have the bells and whistles of it digital competitors. There's no SSB, but there is an antenna trimmer screw accessible by removing a rubber plug on the bottom of the receiver. There are numerous European style jacks on the receiver and it runs on 110 or 220 volts as well as five D cells.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think the Globetrotter TN 6000 (vintage 1968-69) is the European equivalent of the Globetraveler I, with its attendant European broadcast stations marked on the MW dial and "U" for FM. The TN 6001 would therefore likely be the European version of the Globetraveler II.

Finally, if you find one in good shape at a decent price, snap it up. It looks a little wierd by U.S. standards, but it delivers the world with style!

More info found at: