Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Microham Micro Keyer II Help

Reviews Summary for Microham Micro Keyer II
Microham Micro Keyer II Reviews: 39 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $430
Description: microKEYER II™ is the most powerful All-In-One single radio multi-mode USB interface and sound card for CW, SSB, AM, FM, and digital modes (RTTY, PSK31, SSTV, APRS, PACKET, and many others) available anywhere.

Using a single USB port, microKEYER II can interface with any Windows-based logging or control program to run any FSK, CW , AFSK, SSB, AM, or FM mode.

microKEYER II also includes a rig control interface (CAT/CI- V) with interfaces for all supported radios, a powerful CW memory keyer, and a buffer for keying a Power Amplifier and LNA switcher.
More info: http://microham-usa.com/

You can write your own review of the Microham Micro Keyer II.

N8NN Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2017 12:16 Send this review to a friend
Best Interface Ever!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After installing my microKEYER II my only question was "Why did I wait so long to get one?". This box replaced my SignaLink, RigBlaster and PK-232.

I wanted true FSK RTTY and to put an end to pulling mic plugs. The microKEYER II did that perfectly.

The included microKEYER II Device Router software permits two FSK devices at the same time. I can run two copies of MMTTY at the same time -- one on my main VFO and one on the sub VFO. That gives me dual-receive split RTTY operation for DX pileups. It doesn't get any easier!

Another bonus is having two microphones connected at the same time -- desk mic and headset/boom mic. Push to talk PTT is from a footswitch, a hand pushbutton or the bar on the desk mic. The voice keyer DVK is always available from the mouse or keypad. Be sure to complete the audio setup to balance the audio level from each source using the internal trimmers. Perfect!

I had two email questions for factory support. Both were answered within minutes and both solved my questions (setup choices in the router software and cabling).

Quality construction. Worth the price.

Bert N8NN

K6HOM Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2016 16:50 Send this review to a friend
Complex, But I Like It!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A friend with two MK2s was upgrading to SO2R with the MK2R+ and offered to sell one of them to me at a price that I couldn’t refuse. Needless to say, I was interested in such a high-end, high performance addition to my shack. In addition to the traditional HF modes, I have become very active in HF digital modes.

As I started to read the owner’s manual and configured the MK2 for my radio (IC-7600), I was continually amazed at its many capabilities. An unexpected bonus was its T/R buffer for my linear, eliminating one separate relay-based T/R buffering device with one using silent solid-state switching. The digital voice and CW keyers work great and are very convenient. It is also nice to have both rear and front panel mic inputs for connecting both my desk mic and my headset mic at the same time.

However, the acid test of the MK2 for me was its soundcard performance with weak signal digital modes. I have previously found the US Interface/Timewave Navigator to be excellent in this area and I have owned one for many years. After extended and extensive use under a wide variety of conditions, my experience is that the MK2’s soundcard performance is pretty much equivalent. My MK2 setup routinely decodes very weak (WJST-X) JT65 and JT9 signals in the R-25 to R-28 range with similar excellent PSK and RTTY RX performance. Additionally, the MK2 FSK RTTY capabilities work superbly in conjunction with WinWarbler/MMTTY/2Tone. One suggestion for improvement is for a wider range of adjustments for the RX Main and RX Sub level controls. Currently, very small changes in these controls result in very large increases/decreases in soundcard volume, regardless of my PCs device internal level control settings.

As others have written, this is not the easiest device to install. I found that a spreadsheet listing my current PC COM port assignments with columns listing the port assignments used by each of my digital mode apps to be very helpful. Just take it slowly, step by step and you will be fine. Nonetheless, as another reviewer has written, each time that I read the owner’s manual resulted in further tips toward fully configuring this complex interface. So my other suggestion for microHAM is to consider posting example starting configurations for the most popular radios and perhaps selected apps (e.g. HRD, N1MM, DX Suite, WSJT-X, Fldigi, MMTTY, etc.). I’m sure that MH’s Customer Service staff has handled many calls for help with radios and these apps for years, so posting these as PDFs on their website probably wouldn’t be an overwhelming project.

Overall, I really like my MK2. The price is high and while it is not PnP to configure, the myriad of capabilities from just one small high quality box is well worth it IMO.

N9LJX Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2016 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic device. Excellent customer service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed to reduce the number of devices on my operating desk. I had a WinKey, an external USB sound card, and a CAT interface. I picked up a used MicroKeyer II on the recommendation of a lot of friends. There was an issue with the CAT control of my Yaesu FT900. I notified support and they worked closely with me on getting the root cause identified and resolved with a modification to their software. All of this to get it to work with a 20 year old radio. Super support from both w4tv and the folks back in Slovakia.

PA5MW Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2016 01:12 Send this review to a friend
Great product, even greater service from Microham  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the first unit some 4 years ago and enjoyed it tremendously at different locations and setups. It offers much flexibility.
Recently had some issues with it, contacted Microham Support who responded immediately and after some testing it was sent to them for repair.

Being so confident of the MKII's performance, I bought a second unit in the meantime. It will serve a SO2R upgrade in my shack.
The local HamRadio shop confirmed this IS a popular and very versatile tool which they gladly sell.

After 3 weeks I already received the repaired unit back and at NO COSTS.
What a great service Microham!

SP7IDX Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2016 10:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent, within 20 minutes unit was up and running.This product deserves a 5+ rating.

DK6OR Rating: 2/5 Jul 13, 2015 03:20 Send this review to a friend
Not as expected  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I replaced my RigExpert Plus with the microham Keyer ll, because I want to use DVK.
Using the front EXT MIC with my headset ends in an total distorted SSB signal.
Connecting the headset mike directly to the tranceiver, delivers an SSB signal with good audio quality and no distortion came up again, even with total legal RF - output.
My first request for help was answered that I should avoid RF in my shack. This is the easiest way to argue, but without RF no Ham Radio.
I think I will forget DVK and reactivate my old RigExpert. I am really not convinced, therefore is my rating only 2 points.

N6HE Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2015 12:26 Send this review to a friend
Finally, everything in one unit!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been looking for what this unit does for years - I just discovered it, and am one happy camper.

I run SSB, CW, PSK31, and FSK RTTY. I must have a very short attention span - I'm always setting up / trying something new and re-wiring the station interfaces. And you know how that goes... after the new thing is working, half of the old things now don't work any more. And don't get me started on re-configuring serial ports! So I had (between the computer and radio) a serial CW interface, a combo serial CW/FSK interface box, a homebrew PTT junction box, a memory keyer, two audio isolation transformers, and an outboard DVK voice "keyer." Not to mention about a half cubic foot of mic / speaker /rig control / line in / line out / USB / accessory cables and wires, all heavy with ferrite cores. A complete mess. But I needed it all to do all I wanted to do.

But now, with the MicroKEYER II, I have only one USB connection to the computer and a (customized and provided by MicroHAM) harness to my radio (TenTec Omni VII) with breakouts for power, CW key, accessory socket, mic, and radio serial port. Bada-boom - done. Neat. No mess. Happy.

The MK2 does all I need/want - as well as incorporating the K1EL WinKey keyer that sends perfect CW from computer-driven programs. Always wanted to add that to my station, but didn't want to add to the mess. And it has a customizable digital display that displays the (internal) keyer CW speed setting.

The MicroKEYER II manual is the best I've seen for covering all the steps of installation/configuration, including (and this is GREAT) tips on common incorrect assumptions made by people new to the unit. Boy, I needed that!

Since this unit "does it all," there are many configurations available to you, and you probably won't be using all of them. I read the earlier post by a fella that was complaining that things were too complicated - between the lines, I got that the unit was expected to be Plug-N-Play. Well, since the MK2 has to be configured/tailored to your particular requirements (and not others), the step-by-step instructions should be followed - and when they are, all works perfectly. It's not quite Plug-N-Play - but it IS Plug-N-configure-N-Play. For anything that does all the things it does, I would expect that. After all, it was replacing all the aforementioned rat's-nest "mess."

I'm glad I read through the manual 2-3 times prior to receiving the unit, making notes and getting questions down on paper. Each time I went through it, more became clear and my questions were answered. So when I started set-up, it was just one foot in front of the other.

I read the features/specs info on their site, let it all sink in, and saw that it was just the thing for me.

It's really great to have so many "wouldn't it be great if...." features in this one interface box. I've run it through its paces and there's nothing I wish it could do that it doesn't. It took me many iterations of interface wiring configurations to get to where I am now, and I'm finally satisfied. No more "it's always Field Day at N6HE." Life is good.

Ray N6HE

NT6X Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2014 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Excellent product! My only complaint is the location of the power switch being on the back of the unit. A major inconvenience.

N8WRL Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2014 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Best-in-class  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an excellent product with fantastic support, both from the manufacturer and the yahoo group. Follow the instructions carefully and you'll be very pleased with the flexibility. I've been experimenting with different digital modes lately and it is sooo easy to install a new program, point it at a configured sound-card and CAT port to my rig and have it all just work. I've paired mine with a Station Master and it is a killer combination. I'm on a mission to reduce the number of little boxes in my shack and MKII goes a long way towards helping me make that happen!

NS3L Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2014 08:09 Send this review to a friend
Top Interface.. Period..!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Fantastic interface..!!!

Well worth what would be considered premium $$'s

I've just completed the last of the total interface of my new microHam microKeyer II to my Icom IC-7600 station with CAT control not only my Window's 8.0 PC, but also to my MacBook Pro running Maverick's OS which runs my primary logger, MacLoggerDX...!! This thing is dynamite..!! Simplifies everything..

As a casual/frequent contester, I primarily wanted to start weaning myself from some of the IC-7600's built in functions and start using WriteLog.

I'm now able to control CW keying with WinKey for CW keying, and other functions like the ability to work better FSK RTTY in contests, etc...

I took my time and in a little over a week managed to have all hardware and software running perfectly thanks to all the info at K9JY's blog, the info available at microHam. As for the FSK aspect, all the info available at RTTYContesting's site is invaluable..!!

I've successfully integrated the microKeyer II and my IC-7600 to run WriteLog, WinKey, MMTTY, MMTTY Plug-in for WriteLog, FLDIGI, MMSSTV, WSJT-X, WSPR-X, ROSV7.2.7, EasyPal D-SSTV, And others.. All running under the MK II's Router..

My IC-7600 is performing perfectly..!!.

I was even able to use my Heil Pro Headset on the front mic connector with the HC-4 element without issues.. Just read the instructions if you have something other like an iC headset, those have interconnect issues.. Had everything needed as far as hardware with the exception of a 1/4 phono plug to RCA adapter for my Heil Headset foot switch and hand key switch.. Using a Radio Shack #274-909 adapter solved that problem. Once the interconnect was done, I programmed all the voice memories in minutes..

To say that the MK2 is overly complicated is not entirely true.. It takes patients, and mind control to force yourself to read the instructions, review and understand your station hardware, and the software and installation notes. Simply using careful consideration. Don't move headstrong into an attempt to install and interface in just a few hours.. There is a learning curve..!!! Step by step..

This is by far the best interface I've ever had yet... It's the mainstay controller now.. the MK2 replaces a SignaLink USB which gave me great service but was too limited..

If your considering a microKeyer II, know that you're getting the best for the money.. Take your time and read everything available on the unit and the software packages you plan to use.. There is a bit of sequencing between hardware and software installs, however, it'll save much time and tinkering later..

I might add.. microHam offers fast service too..!! Ordered on a Thursday, had it in my hand by postal 2 days later.. Can't beat that..

Good Luck, and see you out there..
Steve NS3L